Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Bolt action "trunk gun" (practical rifle) project

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4thPointOfContact View Post
    I'd like to scope my FR8, but there's really no where to put one
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    Ive always thought a Milsurp chambered in .308 would make the ultimate trunk gun. Good common chambering in a simpe rifle that will last for decades of hard use. Also have good tough irons as well.
    My first attempt at this was an FR-8. Great gun, but an ergonomic disaster, heavy, and very difficult to scope effectively. I still have it and enjoy it, but it's not what I'm looking for this time.
    Ken in Texas

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I tried to get $300 1-3x - 1-4x info at one of the well known optics discussion boards and am getting everything from "get a 2-7" to "buy this $600 scope" and "build a scout rifle". This may be the most challenging part of the project because there's little chance I'll be able to handle every option that interests me before I buy.

I may take a drive after work to a larger store to check out what they have.

I'm also considering selling a kidney to buy a TR-21 or TR-24.
    Ken in Texas

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The TR24G is high on my list of optics to pick up, both for my 12.5" 6.8 AR and the potential practical rifle. The TR21G might be an even better option on the bolt-action.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    How about a Remington 788 or one of the vanilla Wal-Mart variants of the 700? Bbl cut to your length preference, glass and go.

Keith

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith E. View Post
    How about a Remington 788 or one of the vanilla Wal-Mart variants of the 700? Bbl cut to your length preference, glass and go.

Keith
    The problem with this is that Remington seems to be run by complete idiots. The 700 BDL for example doesn't come in .308? But it does come in .223? Huh?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm interested in putting together something similar to the OP's specs.

Question: I wonder if the somewhat revamped 2010 model of the Savage Scout is a contender? Runs 6.65 lb, 20" barrel, 39.75" OAL, includes iron sights, scout scope mount, and a detachable mag system (4rd mags--not sure if it can hold the 10rd mags available in other Savage LE-class rifles). As a "practical rifle", the detachable mag thing does sound useful and would somewhat level the playing field between the bolt action and a lever. I'm interested in the Scout because you can also get it done in a LH action.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Keith E.

Keith

The problem with this is that Remington seems to be run by complete idiots. The 700 BDL for example doesn't come in .308? But it does come in .223? Huh?

I was thinking SPS when I mentioned vanilla.

Keith

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    I'm interested in putting together something similar to the OP's specs.

Question: I wonder if the somewhat revamped 2010 model of the Savage Scout is a contender? Runs 6.65 lb, 20" barrel, 39.75" OAL, includes iron sights, scout scope mount, and a detachable mag system (4rd mags--not sure if it can hold the 10rd mags available in other Savage LE-class rifles). As a "practical rifle", the detachable mag thing does sound useful and would somewhat level the playing field between the bolt action and a lever. I'm interested in the Scout because you can also get it done in a LH action.
    I was headed down this path, and then saw the then-current Scout at 2009 SHOT in Orlando and hated the gun. The stock was horrible, and the Accutrigger (or whatever they call it) seemed horrendous to me. Subsequent to this I can think of at least one guy that showed up to Randy's class with a Scout and spent three days battling the gun instead of learning. All of this combined did nothing to foster confidence in the model or the brand as a whole.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith E. View Post
    I was thinking SPS when I mentioned vanilla.

Keith
    For a "practical" rifle, meaning one that you're going to potentially be hoofing under your own power, the SPS seems to me to have too heavy a barrel.

Remington model 7523, discontinued, appears to me to be the best damn gun they've made in the last 10 years. So of course they discontinue it and none are to be found on the used market online...

This is what I'd want

ETA:
    Maybe the SPS Compact? In .308 model 27359. Synthetic stock probably doesn't lend itself to cutting, but the 24" barrel could easily lose 6" and have iron sights added (I would hope).

Last edited by rob_s; 08-03-10 at 13:09.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Maybe this, cut the barrel and stock, add some sights?

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast