Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SPR or Recce?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

SPR or Recce?

SPR or Recce? I can only afford one, sort of.

I have a Nightforce 1-4X and a NF 2.5-10X32 waiting to be put on future builds. I am torn over putting the 2.5-10X on an 5.56 SPR, or a 16" AR10. The question I have is wether the 2.5-10X would be a better fit for a 7.62 gun, since as I have seen opined on TOS by an experienced AR builder/shooter, "Both the SPR and Recce can make hits over 400 yards, but beyond that they are just poking .22 holes". But, lots of guys have Mk12 clones and seem to think they are useful, and they seem to be doing well in actual combat....but is that because they are available, and 7.62 precision rifles generally are not, yet? The LMT MRP .308 16" rifle seems to be making a big splash in the role formerly held by the SPR.

So, given the limitations of the 5.56 cartridge, would it be a better option to have only a Recce as a precision rifle in that caliber with a 4X optic, and a 7.62 for longer range shooting with a more powerful scope?
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    I don't think having only a Recce in 5.56 is a bad thing, and aside from that it looks to me like your reasoning is fairly sound. I'd say throw the 2.5-10x on the 7.62 and call it a day.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Everyone needs a .308. Another .223 is great, but when SHTF is will be nice for you to be able to achieve better barrier penetration than the .223 offers, should you decide that the occasion warrants it. For example, if you wanted to punch through the door of a 1974 Ford LTD at 800 yards, with a .223 SPR do it?

So if you are sacrificing a .308 to get a .223 recce or SPR, I would advise going for the .308 instead. Down the road when finances permit them of course you can add the SPR or recce .223.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    [QUOTE= For example, if you wanted to punch through the door of a 1974 Ford LTD at 800 yards, with a .223 SPR do it? [/QUOTE]

Note to self: Forget possible home invasion - Prepare for 74' Ford LTD's.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Personally I am leaning toward a Noveske 16" Recon barrel with a Rifle Length URX-II as my next upper. I am thinking this will be a great all around rig, with an honest 1 MOA capability, but it should also be able to hang in there during a high intensity carbine class. Like F2S said, it all comes down to optics...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I guess I'll never know unless I shot both....

Thank you all for the input; I will have my 5.56 SPR build completed, and start buying parts for the 7.62....expensive, so it will take a while to get that one together. Then I'll trial it with the SPR's scope, and decide if it is worth it to buy another NF, or keep it on the 7.62 and sell the SPR upper. The Recce project is a go anyway, since that seems the best use for the NF 1-4X.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_wild_wes View Post
    SPR or Recce? I can only afford one, sort of.

I have a Nightforce 1-4X and a NF 2.5-10X32 waiting to be put on future builds. I am torn over putting the 2.5-10X on an 5.56 SPR, or a 16" AR10. The question I have is wether the 2.5-10X would be a better fit for a 7.62 gun, since as I have seen opined on TOS by an experienced AR builder/shooter, "Both the SPR and Recce can make hits over 400 yards, but beyond that they are just poking .22 holes". But, lots of guys have Mk12 clones and seem to think they are useful, and they seem to be doing well in actual combat....but is that because they are available, and 7.62 precision rifles generally are not, yet? The LMT MRP .308 16" rifle seems to be making a big splash in the role formerly held by the SPR.

So, given the limitations of the 5.56 cartridge, would it be a better option to have only a Recce as a precision rifle in that caliber with a 4X optic, and a 7.62 for longer range shooting with a more powerful scope?
    ==================

I would say set up a RECCE with the 1-4X first. If SHTF, most of us couldn't justify shooting a "long range" threat. Really and truly, is some turk-deville a 1/2 mile away with a 9mm Highpoint a "threat" to you?

I'm not saying, don't have long range capability (eventually) but have 0-250 yard protection first and foremost.

But that's just me.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Yes, barrier penetration penetration is the other big factor. Another would be crosswind performance.

I was exchanging IMs on TOS with a guy who recently came back from Afghanistan where he was a DM; he was satisfied with the Mk12....but I see he just bought a 16" AR10T for himself.
    Last edited by wild_wild_wes; 08-01-10 at 23:37.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrt View Post
    . If SHTF, most of us couldn't justify shooting a "long range" threat. Really and truly, is some turk-deville a 1/2 mile away with a 9mm Highpoint a "threat" to you?

Perhaps not, but a gang that is systematically setting fire to buildings or cars and moving your direction is a threat. It probably would not be best to wait until they torch the next door neighbor's house before trying to put an end to their conduct.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The NF 1-4X I have has an FC-2 reticle. Is this usable as a "precision" scope? Let's say, out to 300-400m.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast