Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Switch from 5.56 to 6.8? Is it worth it?

Feedback Score
    54 (100%)
    6.8 is a great round, even better if some .gov agency buys it for you.

It isn't cheap, but I may still pick up a 6.8 upper just to have one.....
    SSG Jimmy Ide- KIA 28 Aug 10, Hyderabad, AFG

1SG Blue Rowe- KIA 26 May 09, Panjshir, AFG.

RIP Brothers

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    6.8 is not the caliber for an only AR unless you can afford to train with it or it is just for hunting.

The 6.8 offers great terminal performance in the same platform, with both a 5.56 and 6.8 upper/rifle most of your training can be done with the 5.56 and cheap ammo.

Complaints about the price of 6.8 ammo are a little unfair, while there is no wolf available match and duty loads are very close to what comparable 5.56 loads cost.

Duty station here....duty station there...
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    Complaints about the price of 6.8 ammo are a little unfair, while there is no wolf available match and duty loads are very close to what comparable 5.56 loads cost.
    That would be a definate game changer. Some steel cased 6.8 at $0.25-0.30 a shot would probably make the 6.8 my primary caliber.
    "A wise man's heart inclines him to the right, but a fool's heart to the left." -Ecclesiastes 10:2

Glock Armorer
    Sig Sauer Armorer
    Colt M16/M4 Armorer
    Remington 870/11-87 Armorer
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    6.8 is not the caliber for an only AR unless you can afford to train with it or it is just for hunting.

The 6.8 offers great terminal performance in the same platform, with both a 5.56 and 6.8 upper/rifle most of your training can be done with the 5.56 and cheap ammo.

What Todd said.

If you're on a limited budget for the time being, and down to a couple AR's, stick with 5.56mm.

When you've got some more breathing room, that's the time to explore the 6.8mm.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    That's exactly what I was gonna say. No need to even think about getting 6.8 unless you've got plenty of $$ to actually shoot the thing. In fact, there's only ONE person that I know personally that has a 6.8mm AR upper who actually shoots it quite often. Last time I met up with him, he had an ammo can full of loose 6.8 ammo.

That guy is my friend Sean Cody, the Houston NFA Attorney who also is a Class III FFL and sells lots of NFA weapons. That would be what some folk might call a "clue."

I thought about getting a 6.8 upper at one point, but after seeing the ammo costs just to train with it, compared to my 5.56 training ammo (not to mention it's scarcity, at least at that time), I figured my money would be best spent feeding my 5.56 ARs and getting the accessories I needed for them.

Besides, my 5.56 guns kill hogs just fine. Sure, every now and again the hog will take off running after I shoot it, but he never gets too far once the dogs get on his ass and finish the job!
    S/F
    Paul

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    I believe thats what Im gonna do. Stick with 5.56 until hopefully things are back on the up swing, as I was laid of for 10 of the 12 months last year(the work I do is directly related to the Auto Industry, specifically TOYOTA and FORD, I make the Wire Drawing Dies for NSK which makes 100% of the Spring Coils for Toyota, and Spring coils for Ford Trucks and SUV's.... lets just say its been real slow).

Im slowly getting back on my feet, so hopefully I'll be able to afford nice new toys again.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Several here are comparing the cost of cheap 5.56 to premium 6.8, whereas the cost of premium 5.56 is the same as 6.8. What are you paying a round for 5.56 TAP? I have bought SSA 110gr SPH for $12 - $16 a box on sale. Out of a 12.5" barrel the 6.8SPC is effective to 300yds, what is the frag distance of 5.56 TAP out of a 12.5? Hell I just bought some Federal TBBC 55gr that was $1.50 a round.

You already have a 5.56 rifle, use that for training, and get a 6.8 for SHTF, if that's what you want. I personally have a training rifle in 5.56, with a 22lr kit for even cheaper training, and use a 6.8 for a patrol rifle. I shoot 22lr for basic drills, use 5.56 for classes and matches, and shoot around 500 rds a year of 6.8 for quals, zeroing, etc.

5.56 mags will not work reliably for 6.8 ammunition for any type of serious use. I use CProduct and PRI, one of my do-workers uses Barrett. All seem to work fine, and the CProduct mags are fairly inexpensive.

Having said all that, if you are having financial problems stick with what you have, and rather than spending money on hardware, use your money to train. After all, it's not the tool that builds the house, it's the carpenter.
    Last edited by CavReconScout; 08-03-10 at 13:35. Reason: To correct poor spelling

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CavReconScout View Post
    Several here are comparing the cost of cheap 5.56 to premium 6.8, whereas the cost of premium 5.56 is the same as 6.8. What are you paying a round for 5.56 TAP? I have bought SSA 110gr SPH for $12 - $16 a box on sale. Out of a 12.5" barrel the 6.8SPC is effective to 300yds, what is the frag distance of 5.56 TAP out of a 12.5? Hell I just bought some Federal TBBC 55gr that was $1.50 a round.

You already have a 5.56 rifle, use that for training, and get a 6.8 for SHTF, if that's what you want. I personally have a training rifle in 5.56, with a 22lr kit for even cheaper training, and use a 6.8 for a patrol rifle. I shoot 22lr for basic drills, use 5.56 for classes and matches, and shoot around 500 rds a year of 6.8 for quals, zeroing, etc.

5.56 mags will not work reliably for 6.8 ammunition for any type of serious use. I use CProduct and PRI, one of my do-workers uses Barrett. All seem to work fine, and the CProduct mags are fairly inexpensive.

Having said all that, if you are having financial problems stick with what you have, and rather than spending money on hardware, use your money to train. After all, it's not the tool that builds the house, it's the carpenter.
    High end ammo for both calibers is roughly equivalent in price. But there is zero out there for inexpensive training ammo in 6.8, whereas the choices for 5.56 are plentiful.

For most civilians who don't hunt, the benefits of 6.8 vs 5.56 are "nice to have" vs critical, especially given developments in 5.56 bullets that are making them increasingly effective - even out of SBRs.

I once was so steeped in the 6.8 world that I took a high round count (1,000+) carbine class with a 12.5" 6.8 rig. Not doing that again...
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    I think Im going to get a 12.5in 68 upper some day, and a bunch of mags and build up a ammo reserve of 6.8 over time. Use 5.56 for training and high round count and keep the 6.8 for a SHTF/Defensive rifle.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE
    Here's a good read:
    http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2008Intl/Roberts.pdf

When buying a 6.8 rifle:
    1) The majority of opinions from 6.8 users is that the SPC II chamber with a 1:11 barrel twist is the way to go. It will shoot a wide variety of ammo, it keeps down over pressure, and flings the bullet a little faster than the older 1:10 twist. However, if you are wanting to go SBR, anything under 12" you might want to go with SPC II with a 1:10 twist to ensure enough bullet stability.

2) The best 6.8 SPC magazines are going to be PRI 25rd magazines. Barret's 30rd magazines are probably #2. No, 5.56 magazines will not work reliably for 6.8 ammunition.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the great link! It cleared up alot of questions I had regarding terminal ballistics! Amazing how some side by side demo's will do that.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast