Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: August 1 shoot at CRPC, debrief

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

August 1 shoot at CRPC, debrief

Alex(kaltesherz), Good Ben(MookNW), Jeff(sproc), and Me/Evil Ben(bkb0000)- thanks for coming, it was a good day at the range.

Fairly light, very casual shoot. I'd counted on more new people than not, so I planned to take it fairly easy anyway.. but with only 4 people (instead of the expected 8ish), it ended up even more casual. we sort of kept score, but not really, and no prizes were passed out. i barely consulted my CoF notes- pretty much just winged it.

---

Well... when I got to the range at 10, the firing line was packed full of 55-65 year old gray haired Fudds with bolt, lever, and cylindrical firearms, and the VRSO had no clue that we'd be commandeering the range. Every head in the place turned and looked at me like I was both blue with purple dots and wearing a swastika on one shoulder and a hammer-n-sickle on the other when I made the statement. Much grumbling, complaining, and even a little bitching ensued.

range finally cleared by 11, I started pulling target parts and props out of the truck and began assembly of the day. Good Ben and Alex arrived about two minutes after I put the last stand together. Jeff showed a little while later while we were warming up on the line with some off line of attack.

I'm pretty sure we went into Dot Torture as soon as Jeff got there. both pistol and rifle. Jeff won, with a score of 26, i believe, with pistol. I think he won again with rifle, with a score of 46. i discovered i need to let my sling out a little, during the weak-hand dot with the rifle.. good thing i hadn't trimmed it yet. i wish the BF victory would cinch up just a little more- if i let it out any more, the weapon is gonna hang more than i want it to.

I actually cant remember if we then went straight into color-coded-cover, or if we lined up and did some more line drills. either before or after he got there, we did some X-drills, failures, double taps, all on UP (somebody calls it, everybody responds with gunfire).

Color Coded Cover was simplified, fairly low-speed, but good. we ran through two courses twice each- first going for hit confidence- shooting until you think you've hit (it's all paper- paper plates for COM, 3x5 cards for heads, stapled to plywood silhouettes), then scoring for time and adding 5 seconds per miss.. then changing up the course and switching to failures. I'm pretty sure i won all those. Good Ben started having troubles with his weapon (6920, Ben?) during one run.. he was getting fails to fire really bad. almost doubled his run time. after the run, we popped off the upper and discovered the hammer spring legs had been installed under the trigger pin, rather than over- and the pin had walked out. definitely a good thing to discover in training, rather than in your hallway at 3am.

quite a bit of urban prone and other sideways shooting... as usual, was a good exercise in muzzle discipline- making sure your muzzle clears your cover. my simulated car got it's fender shot up at the last event i brought it to, and i'm pretty sure my tires got shot twice at this event. a corpse took a contact shot to the shoulder, as well.

Then Jeff had to bail, 'cause The Boss wanted him home. after i let him out and came back, we moved into some pistol from concealment- El Presidentes with several variations, some more UP drills, and, one of my personal favorites- Head 2 Head Shootouts. I dominated, and was dubbed "Evil Ben."

pics and vids:

Alex and Evil Ben, doing some H2H

Alex and a little bit of Jeff on their end of rifle Dot Torture

Evil Ben weak side

strong side

Yeff on rifle Dot Torture - he won, as i recall. only 'cause there's no time element...

Evil Ben executing pistol Dot Torture with mad precision. I believe I scored 23...

Not a single picture of Good Ben??? I guess he was the cameraman the whole time.

video to follow... i don't know that i've ever tried to upload big videos before- it was taking FOREVER to upload the whole batch, so i cancelled it and tried to upload just one... 10 minutes later, it failed with photobucket. i'm gonna try again with youtube.

here's one.. me, naturally. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBOWTLJfryU

i'll post more tomorrow. i did another 12 hour day today, i need to get my ass to sleep.

Jeff/Sproc: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_feId4pMvg

H2H - Evil Ben & Alex: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkW00JlCshY

H2H - Evil Ben & Alex: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=836JPuJA38U

CCC drill - Alexandro - failures: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbifbW4FEBA

CCC drill - Good Ben - till confidence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvFGRLgx_yE

I've tried to upload the run where your weapon malfed so bad, but i think the video is too big. it keeps erroring out on me.
    Last edited by bkb0000; 08-06-10 at 22:26.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Looks like a blast, wish I had been there. Next time.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks for putting this thing together BKB! What a great way to spend a Sunday. The facility was ideal as well. I learned a lot of good lessons.
    1)9 hours of shooting requires more than a bag of jerky to sustain life (kaltesherz and I tore back the burgerking in kelsoe on the way home)
    2)Oregon has better gun laws than Washington
    3)If someones gonna film you, tuck your damn shirt in.
    4) The cheek welds to the top of the buttstock, not the rear. Always.
    5)Aimpoints do you no good sitting on your workbench
    6)PNW shoots rock!
    Met some good folks and can't wait to do it again. Hopefully we'll get a better head count next time, but 4 was enough to make a full day.
    Thanks again for all your hard work Ben, and to Sprock and Kaltesherz...good times.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Many thanks to both Evil and Good Ben's for everything, for my first civilian training event that was def ideal. Good training with good company = good times

Things I learned :
    1. When you get new sights on your pistol, you might want to shoot it to figure out your new POI before you do Dot Torture, which for the record, IS torture.

2. Bringing a case of Powerade was a great idea, too bad I left it in my trunk in Seattle.

3. PNW has the best summer weather EVER

4. SBR's are awesome and both Evil Ben and Jeff were nice enough to bring uber sexy 10.5's to make us Washingtonians pout and drool simultaneously.

5. When someone's name is Jeff call them Jeff, not Frank or Mike. From now on you're "El Jeffe" (sorry!)

6. After watching video of the drills I realized I look like Napoleon Dynamite with an M4.

7. Titlest is really a drug dealer (and he didn't even show up)

8. Shooting drills are fun

9. Evil Ben's Battlecomped SBR is sex personified

Oh, and I found my stapler... IN MY BAG! :facepalm:

Thanks again guys, can't wait to do it again in September!
    Last edited by kaltesherz; 08-03-10 at 13:36.
    PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    7. Titlest is really a drug dealer (and he didn't even show up)
    Uh oh...what'd I do now?
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titleist View Post
    Uh oh...what'd I do now?
    there were no drugs at the shoot.. and it just so happened that there was no Isaac at the shoot. we can put two and two together, hones.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Whatever dude, I gotta make the moneys somehow.
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titleist View Post
    Whatever dude, I gotta make the moneys somehow.
    it's all about makin' that G.T.A.!

Now we know how you pinched your nerve... one of your ladies was holdin' out...
    PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    we aint hatin. playaplayon.

---

i got one of Jeff's runs up in the OP, thats where i'll put the rest. if either of you new guys don't want your vids posted, let me know before i get 'em uploaded and linked. there's not really any face action going on, but i know some of you paranoid types are paranoid.

i will post the H2Hs, however, like it or not. that's all back. OH snap- except the only H2H we have with Good Ben- that's actually got a pretty clear face shot of both you. it's a good vid, though. and i talk in it, so its even better. let me know.

i want to post the H2H i forgot to reload for.. it's a good example of why "...and reload" should be put at the end of "scan and assess." naturally, i got smoked for my forgetfulness. but mr. persec turned toward the camera in the beginning. how do i edit that out?
    Last edited by bkb0000; 08-03-10 at 15:36.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm good, check w/ kaltesheizer, I'm gonna see if I can make a censor bar for my ass crack in the mozambique run. My girl says I remind her of john goodman from big lebowski. I guess that's good. I don't know.
    Last edited by MookNW; 08-03-10 at 15:35.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast