Thread: Stalled progress on transition from beginner to intermediate shooting skills

Feedback Score

Question Stalled progress on transition from beginner to intermediate shooting skills

When I first started shooting, it wasn't hard to figure out how to spend my time at the range. I took a first steps pistol class before I even fired a single shot and learned the basics. Then I headed to the range as often as I could and just shot a whole bunch while constantly keeping track of my fundamentals. "Focusing on front sight? Check. Slow & smooth trigger pull? Check." and so forth.

This early part of my learning process seemed pretty successful, as I was satisfied with my initial accuracy and the rate at which I saw it improvement in the early months.

I've been shooting for about 10 months now and the problem I'm having lately is that my range time, while enjoyable, doesn't seem as productive as it once was. I feel sort of stagnet in terms of improvement when shooting at my usual range & speed (7-12 yards, 40-60 rds/min).

Under those parameters, I'm pretty consistantly managing to keep each shot of a 15 rd magazine within a fist sized group that usually includes one or two 3-5 shot strings tied into a single ragged hole.

Thing is, I've been shooting the same fist sized holes for months and they don't seem to be shrinking any.

Also, I'm shooting much poorer groups anytime I try to switch things up & shoot a bit faster or shoot a target further away or throw in a random element like having my partner call out a target instead of selecting it myself.

Even though I do not carry a firearm for duty and my shooting is likely to always be recreational in nature, my long term goals include the ability to shoot defensively at a high level because I want to be prepared if I'm ever put in the awful position of needing to use deadly force to protect the lives of my loved ones or myself.

With defensive shooting as one of the primary goals, my short term plan was to reach a solid performance level in basic marksmenship, then seek out specialized training at that point.

But I'm now realizing that I never really made a plan for HOW to ensure continuous improvement up until that point, as I had just kind of assumed putting enough rounds downrage while minding the front sight & trigger control would get it done. It helped, but it hasn't been quite enough and I'm not sure if I just need more time or if I need to be doing different things to push for more improvement.

So, I guess what I'm asking for is advice on how to help myself break through this plateau and/or how to best prep myself to start learning defensive shooting skills down the road.

Thanks in advice to anyone willing to offer their thoughts.
    Last edited by Zell959; 08-03-10 at 14:14. Reason: Correcting math on ROF

Feedback Score
    What are your goals? Do you have any definite goals? I mean hard concrete measurable goals. Look at this link for some ideas on goals.
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=16760

Find some drills or quals that you can shoot at your range. Figure out what your score/performance is on that drill at this point in time. Set a goal that you can reach in 3 months and figure out what you need to practice to reach that goal. When you reach it, set a new goal.

Keep in mind a major goal to work towards re. your defensive shooting goals. Mine was to make Master in IDPA. It took me a few years but I made it. Now I want to shoot sub 5 seconds on the FAST. I have a ways to go...

You mention 15 rounds in a fist sized group. That is way too many shots in a string. You are trying to teach yourself to shoot accurately, to execute a complex hand/eye coordination performance. If, around shot 12, you are fighting eye strain, arm strain and grip strength issues then you are no longer teaching yourself how to shoot accurately, you are just suffering.

I never shoot more than 6 rounds in a string. If I am practicing for pure accuracy, I shoot one shot strings. Testing your endurance is OK if you are shooting a qualification or test. It's a bad idea while training for accuracy.

Gringop

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Post above is absolutely correct.

If you don't have identified tasks-conditions-and standards you want to meet and exceed you can't chart progress.

Without a coach, video, or observer you won't know what you're dorking up (or it'll take far longer to figure out).

A coach provides direction, feedback, and support. He does this on the range by observing, detecting, assessing, and correcting your weaknesses and shortfalls.

Rob Leathem of USPSA/IPSC fame gives great instruction by teaching to work on your weaknesses to where they are no longer weaknesses. You can train all day long on stuff you're good at (as is human nature), but you want to train to overall improve.

Combat shooting is about speed, accuracy, and power -- being good at making tiny groups under no stress is useless when it's dark, noisy, and for real and under duress.
    Last edited by sinister; 08-03-10 at 15:00.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gringop View Post
    What are your goals? Do you have any definite goals? I mean hard concrete measurable goals. Look at this link for some ideas on goals.
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=16760

Find some drills or quals that you can shoot at your range. Figure out what your score/performance is on that drill at this point in time. Set a goal that you can reach in 3 months and figure out what you need to practice to reach that goal. When you reach it, set a new goal.

Keep in mind a major goal to work towards re. your defensive shooting goals. Mine was to make Master in IDPA. It took me a few years but I made it. Now I want to shoot sub 5 seconds on the FAST. I have a ways to go...

You mention 15 rounds in a fist sized group. That is way too many shots in a string. You are trying to teach yourself to shoot accurately, to execute a complex hand/eye coordination performance. If, around shot 12, you are fighting eye strain, arm strain and grip strength issues then you are no longer teaching yourself how to shoot accurately, you are just suffering.

I never shoot more than 6 rounds in a string. If I am practicing for pure accuracy, I shoot one shot strings. Testing your endurance is OK if you are shooting a qualification or test. It's a bad idea while training for accuracy.

Gringop
    That's a really good point. I'm looking for results without doing the legwork of accurately measuring where I am now. I'm already reading through the thread now to see what drills make sense for me at my range and I'm going to find a few to perform & record for every single range visit.

I'm gonna have to put some thought into what the major goal should be though. There is certainly plenty to choose from

To clarify what you mentioned about the size of strings, is bringing the firearm down to a low ready position an adequate break from the strain of holding the sights on target at full extension? Or would your advice be to completely disengage from the whole process to keep fatigue out of the mix?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    You can train all day long on stuff you're good at (as is human nature), but you want to train to overall improve.
    The above quote is very important... we tend to practice what we are good at, and avoid what we suck at. Obviously, the opposite needs to be true in order for you to truly improve.

Every time you hit the range, go there with a plan beforehand. Have a shot timer and preferably a buddy to operate the timer, watch you or better yet video you.

But I suspect that you are at the point now where a good instructor will help you immensely. Don't think you need to continue to "prep" on your own so that you are "ready" for your first formal instruction - you are ready now so go do it!

Feedback Score
    After reading these posts, I agree that your next step should be to receive professional instruction. Pay attention in class and practice what you have learned at home and on the range. This will help you raise your plateau to the next level.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    When learning drills, understand what exactly those are for and how they are supposed to help you. It sounds strange, but often times reading about them online doesn't really convey the meaning - that's what the classes are for. Some "drills" are really qualification exercises - which have their own merit, but don't work on any specific skill in particular; they rather measure your skills. On the other hand, some drills drill on specific part of skillset - these are the ones that you need to run and run and run...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zell959 View Post
    To clarify what you mentioned about the size of strings, is bringing the firearm down to a low ready position an adequate break from the strain of holding the sights on target at full extension? Or would your advice be to completely disengage from the whole process to keep fatigue out of the mix?
    For pure accuracy work I will shoot one shot, making sure that I have proper follow through (two sight pictures for one shot, pressure back on the trigger after the shot, etc.) then I disengage completely, set the gun down on the bench or reholster, walk around, look at other things than the target. I try not to look at hits on the target until the gun comes down. Then after around 30 seconds, I'll set up again with stance, grip, sight alignment, trigger press and shoot the next shot. After 6 rounds, I'll stop and reload mags.

This drill is all about taking the right amount of time (no rushing) and making the best shot that I can. Since most of my other training and competition is draws, movement, target transitions and other fast stuff, I have a tendency to rush my accuracy shooting. I shoot this drill to work on my weakness of rushing.

Re. low ready position. My ready position is the retention position with the gun touching my pec and support hand on my chest. Sometimes I'll hold it in the SUL position. I can stand all day long in these positions without much fatigue. Low ready with the arms extended at 45 degrees still gets tiring somewhat quickly. I never use it unless an instructor or SO insists on it.

Gringop