Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Birdcage" style flash hider for AK?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

"Birdcage" style flash hider for AK?

I'm planning on reconfiguring my AK into a more practical, defensive carbine setup. It'll be similar to most of the others you see on here...Krebs safety, Ultimak w/ H1, G2 in a Vltor offset mount, BFG sling, etc. As part of this upgrade, I'd like to swap the slant brake for a flash hider of some sort.

Does anyone have any experience with the birdcage style flash hiders on 7.62x39mm AKs? I'm currently looking at either the Krebs A2 style or this US Made Type 87. I suppose the DPH Phantom would be an option as well.

Basically, I'd like to end up with something that's more effective in suppressing muzzle flash than the standard slant brake, but doesn't add a bunch of length to the rifle. US Made and inexpensive are good things, too.

So, what do y'all think?
    Last edited by kerplode; 08-03-10 at 14:43. Reason: typos

Feedback Score
    Cncwarrior has quite a few that might interest you.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There are a lot of options out there. Basic M-16 birdcage types are pretty good, the Phantom is better. The Vortex is supposed to be one of the best for suppressing flash, but not as cheap as the birdcage types. For a good muzzle brake that also reduces flash, get the PWS FSC47. It has the advantage (for states that ban flash hiders) of being classified as a brake, not a flash hider.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Before I got my PWS FSC47 I ran an A2 for .30 caliber on my SAR-1. It is way more effective for supressing flash than the bare muzzle and or a slant brake.

Old Pic

I forget who made it but it was US made and in the ball park of $20.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    I'm planning on reconfiguring my AK into a more practical, defensive carbine setup. It'll be similar to most of the others you see on here...Krebs safety, Ultimak w/ H1, G2 in a Vltor offset mount, BFG sling, etc. As part of this upgrade, I'd like to swap the slant brake for a flash hider of some sort.

Does anyone have any experience with the birdcage style flash hiders on 7.62x39mm AKs? I'm currently looking at either the Krebs A2 style or this US Made Type 87. I suppose the DPH Phantom would be an option as well.

Basically, I'd like to end up with something that's more effective in suppressing muzzle flash than the standard slant brake, but doesn't add a bunch of length to the rifle. US Made and inexpensive are good things, too.

So, what do y'all think?
    All of my AKs [Arsenal SAM7s (4) and SASM7s (3)] wear the Phantom. It is short enough not add significant length (or weight) to the front of the rifle, long enough to "look right" and effectively mitigates muzzle flash.

The choice is yours, but the Phantom is awfully hard to beat for both "looks" and functionality.

Feedback Score
    I have the A2 FS on my Bulgarian. It's pretty damn effective.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Thanks for the input!

I think I may start with the US made Type 87 from CNC Warrior. If I end up not liking that for whatever reason I'll go with the Phantom.

I'll try to remember to put another thread up with before and after pics once I get the parts in and installed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've got an A1 style birdcage drilled for 7.62, threaded 14x1 LH. Cope's distributing used to sell them for under 10 bucks. You can spend more for a fancier flash hider, but the price/performance for a classic birdcage is hard to beat.

Feedback Score
    I have tested a number of types. I like the Krebs the best in terms of being good enough while being short and light. The vortex is the best, but why bother if you don't have NVG?

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Type 87. Works well, still allows the use of the bayonet.
    "Life is short, but the years are long." - Robert A. Heinlein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast