Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black toe nails

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I've had the black toenails before from marathon training. They'll go away... it is from the shoe toe box being too tight. Thinner socks might help if you have new shoes that haven't broken in yet.

Good job on the amount of training!

Feedback Score
    I've run two marathons in the last year. When I first started training, I got several black nails. I went to a local running store for tips. Shoes were too small. I was running in my regular size, 10.5, when I started. Now I run in 11.5, what a huge difference - no black nails.

As for the black nails, I high recommend trimming the end of the nail back so it doesn't snag or catch. Don't trim too aggressively - just a normal trim.

I run with the Superfeet green inserts because I had some arch pain. These seemed to work for me and I know many who swear by them.

I agree with others - get good shoes from the local running store, wear only synthetic socks (I exclusive wear the Balga brand) and map out a realistic program. I other product I HIGHLY recommend is Body Glide. Use it pre-run for any potential chaffing issues.

Too many miles too soon = injury city. You should increase more than 10%/week. Try www.coolrunning.com for basic programs.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    this has happened when breaking in boots on 12milers and such, i have lost all my toenails at some point in my career, dont pull them, they will come off when they are ready, the human body is good like that.

now if it gets infected then yeah go see your medic...

Feedback Score
    I concur with the previous posts: if there's no pain leave the nail alone. I pretty routinely smash my toenails in my rock climbing shoes or ski boots. Usually when I've been careless and forgotten to trim them all the way back to the quick. Eventually they fall off without any intervention or pain.

However, if there's continuing pressure (usually the nail is obviously swelling at this point) and pain under the nail it's easy to relieve it.
    Typically this is what happens when a toe is truly crushed like dropping a can on it, not from short shoes etc.

Disclaimer: see your medic or Dr if you can to ensure sterile conditions etc, etc. . . . This is a field first aid technique that I've used on myself and a few of my crew.

To relieve the pressure under the nail simply heat a straightened paper clip to red hot and GENTLY touch the nail until it JUST melts through. Be prepared for a spurt of blood when it does. This will relieve the pressure and allow it to heal. Keep it very clean.

Do not put ANY pressure on the red hot implement or you may overshoot into the raw cuticle. If that happens you'll know about it a millisecond before everyone in hearing does!

See your medic or Doctor when you can.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I still get flashbacks of Nijmegan when I go on long hikes.

Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrolAR View Post
    Most of my toe nails turned black and fell off after I finished the 4 Day Marches in Nijmegan, Holland. After they turned black, I left them alone and they simply fell off in the shower a few at a time. My incident was due to jungle boots and 100 miles in 4 days instead of just running.

The staff of a running store looking at your feet and how you run would probably do you a world of good.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As previously stated your shoes might be too small, but think about this: it could be melanoma. Yes, it probably isn't but one never knows.

I had a finger nail that was black and finally went to visit a doctor who sent me off to a dermatologist. Big as shit it was cancer resulting in MOHS surgery and a good chunk of my finger 'tip' is gone.
    Last edited by platoonDaddy; 09-25-10 at 07:10.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12