Thread: Legality of AR/M4 variants in Connecticut?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Legality of AR/M4 variants in Connecticut?

I'm moving to the New Haven area in a few months and as I understand it, will need to have a couple guns modified to conform with state law.

For M4 variants, my understanding is that I need to have any folding stocks pinned; flash suppressors removed (or replaced with compensators); and bayonet lugs filed off. Is there anything else I need to be concerned about?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fullmetalredhead View Post
    I'm moving to the New Haven area in a few months and as I understand it, will need to have a couple guns modified to conform with state law.

For M4 variants, my understanding is that I need to have any folding stocks pinned; flash suppressors removed (or replaced with compensators); and bayonet lugs filed off. Is there anything else I need to be concerned about?
    That just about covers it, but I'll clarify it a bit. Folding OR collapsible stocks have to be pinned. Flash suppressors are not allowed and compensators or brakes need to be perm attached because threaded barrels are not allowed. Suppressors are iffy because they can be interpreted to be flash hiders. And as you stated, no bayo lugs.

The CT AWB is similar to the expired Fed AWB, but I would read it to appreciate the differences. High cap mags are ok. Good luck with the move.

And of course, a disclaimer. I'm not an attorney and the above should not be regarded as legal advice.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Specifically, what guns do you have & when they were mfg may also allow you to keep the features you mentioned.

Some guns no mater what features they have are no go.

Example :AR15 & Sporters, AK Type in 7.62x39mm

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VLODPG View Post
    Specifically, what guns do you have & when they were mfg may also allow you to keep the features you mentioned.

Some guns no mater what features they have are no go.

Example :AR15 & Sporters, AK Type in 7.62x39mm
    I have two Daniel Defense M4s (one full length, one middy). I figured I could get the stocks pinned, and the A4 flash hiders replaced by compensators (which would need to be pinned like Iceman stated). I'd also have a gunsmith file off the bayo lugs.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Man, I wish the feds would step in more on all of this gun control crap and slap the states around a little.

Feedback Score
    I'm not familiar with any of the retail and gunsmithing shops down in the New Haven area. However, if you don't mind a 40 minute drive JoJo's Gun Works is well worth the drive. Jody and John are great guys. Quality work backed by great customer service. http://www.jojosgunworks.com/

Additionally, BMG Guns is another great shop. If your looking for a pre ban lower to get around the AWB hes your man. http://www.bmgguns.com/

Goodluck on your future move.
    Last edited by dgt; 08-19-10 at 20:13.
    Justin

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dgt View Post
    I'm not familiar with any of the retail and gunsmithing shops down in the New Haven area. However, if you don't mind a 40 minute drive JoJo's Gun Works is well worth the drive. Jody and John are great guys. Quality work backed by great customer service. http://www.jojosgunworks.com/

Additionally, BMG Guns is another great shop. If your looking for a pre ban lower to get around the AWB hes your man. http://www.bmgguns.com/

Goodluck on your future move.
    Jojo's is exactly where I was thinking of shipping my guns for the necessary modifications. There's alot of ppl around who share your opinion about the place.

Feedback Score
    Jojo's put the brake on my colt and pinned my stock last year. They are a great bunch of guys that do quality work. Their machine shop is bigger than the store front.

Feedback Score
    Sell your lower and but a preban lower. Then all your evil features will be exempt from the aw laws.