Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Bow Critique

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Spent some time at the range today and this was my best group of the session.

Distance is 20 yards and after this set of 3 the next 4 sets of 3 at least 1 arrow was in the black tape in the center. Not too shabby

Brian Goode
    NC Knifemaker
    http://www.bgoodeknives.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I think I am doing alot better. When I dont chicken wing my release arm I get pretty decent hits!!

30 Yards all aimed at top dot.

In between scenerio 27 yard 1 shot 1 chance

Brian Goode
    NC Knifemaker
    http://www.bgoodeknives.com

Feedback Score
    It doesn't matter if your sight is out of adjustment a little. All arrows should pattern in the same group. The group may be off the bullseye one way or another but it will be a group regardless. Once you are regularly putting arrows in that same group THEN move your sights. A man will drive himself crazy chasing the arrows with his sights. Just as in shooting a firearm, there are steps you must follow for accuracy. Even knock point, identical stance, same anchor points etc. Just practice practice practice until your fundamentals are second nature then worry about tuning it all in...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeross506 View Post
    It doesn't matter if your sight is out of adjustment a little. All arrows should pattern in the same group. The group may be off the bullseye one way or another but it will be a group regardless. Once you are regularly putting arrows in that same group THEN move your sights. A man will drive himself crazy chasing the arrows with his sights. Just as in shooting a firearm, there are steps you must follow for accuracy. Even knock point, identical stance, same anchor points etc. Just practice practice practice until your fundamentals are second nature then worry about tuning it all in...

Second that. Above all have fun. You'll never enjoy hunting with a rifle ever again!

Mike

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Definitely make sure that you take the bow to a pro archery shop and have it fitted to you. Make sure the draw length is correct and that the arrows are the right length and spine for your draw length. If all of those are off the your groups will be very inconsistant. If all is correct then practice and practice some more. I shoot a Trophy Ridge Matrix 5 pin sight and the pins are set at 15, 25, 35, 45, and 55 yards. I normally don't shoot beyond 45 yards though. The main reason I have a 55yard pin is that I have elk hunted a couple of times and have needed that pin. I begin shooting about 2-3 months before deer archery season and shoot up to 50 arrows a day 2-3 days a week. If your going to be hunting from a treestand make sure you practice from a tree stand also. Your aiming points will be different and your yardages will also because of the angle.

It all starts with a properly fitted bow and arrows that are setup for your draw length and draw weight.
    Last edited by Watrdawg; 09-30-10 at 20:31.

Feedback Score
    [. I shoot a Trophy Ridge Matrix 5 pin sight and the pins are set at 15, 25, 35, 45, and 55 yards. I normally don't shoot beyond 45 yards though. The main reason I have a 55yard pin is that I have elk hunted a couple of times and have needed that pin.

It all starts with a properly fitted bow and arrows that are setup for your draw length and draw weight.[/QUOTE]

For a novice, be careful using a 5 pin set up. It is very easy to pick up the wrong pin in your peep when your adrenaline is flowing! Nothing like sinking your arrow 5 yards short of your buck! I've been throwing arrows religiously for a decade and have done it more than once! Now all I use is a 3 pin. As flat as today's bows shoot it's all the typical hunter needs...

Again, this isn't directed against you Wtrdawg. Just passing on real world advice from my many real world mistakes!

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeross506 View Post
    [. I shoot a Trophy Ridge Matrix 5 pin sight and the pins are set at 15, 25, 35, 45, and 55 yards. I normally don't shoot beyond 45 yards though. The main reason I have a 55yard pin is that I have elk hunted a couple of times and have needed that pin.

It all starts with a properly fitted bow and arrows that are setup for your draw length and draw weight.
    For a novice, be careful using a 5 pin set up. It is very easy to pick up the wrong pin in your peep when your adrenaline is flowing! Nothing like sinking your arrow 5 yards short of your buck! I've been throwing arrows religiously for a decade and have done it more than once! Now all I use is a 3 pin. As flat as today's bows shoot it's all the typical hunter needs...

Again, this isn't directed against you Wtrdawg. Just passing on real world advice from my many real world mistakes![/QUOTE]

Above quote is dead on. I should have said that myself. Over time I've become used to shooting with that type of site. Takes practice!

A good 3 pin site will handle 99% of the shooting situations you will probably put your self in. Especially if you keep you shots to a set distance, ie: 15, 25 and 35 yards. The first time you draw on a deer you will probably have a big case of the jitters anyways. I've been bow hunting for at least 10 years and deer hunting in general at least 30. The first deer I drew on I had a case of buck fever big time. Not because of the deer but because it was my first possible bow kill. Easy 20 yard shot on a still standing broadside 6pt buck. Nothing big. I was shaking like a leaf. I let the arrow fly and it hit high and towards the rear of the ribs. Luckily I hit the liver and the deer only ran 50+ yards and fell. I have never been so nervous hunting anything as that day.
    Last edited by Watrdawg; 10-01-10 at 06:58.

Feedback Score
    Haha. No kidding. I've blown all kinds of opportunities over the years. Not once was it for some complex reason. It was always me screwing up the fundamentals! At least after practicing for all those hours before hand I couldn't blame it on anyone or thing but ME!

Feedback Score
    Keep in mind that a lot of strings will stretch up through the first 200 shots even.

There are some pre-stretched strings (Winner's choice is one I think) but even their POI seems to drift over the course of the first hundred or so shots.

After 100 shots adjust the sights exactly and I'll bet they'll stop moving or at least move around a lot less after that.

After the 200 mark if you're not consistent, it's you for sure.

Although, shooting as close as you are (out to 25 yards) it may not be as big of a shift.
    Last edited by rjohnson4405; 11-03-10 at 12:18.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12