Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Restricted" 10 round mags

Feedback Score

"Restricted" 10 round mags

I've got a question regarding the 10 round "restricted" Magpul PMag that came with my new REPR. It has two pop rivets about half way down, if I was to remove them would it then be a 20 round magazine? I'm law enforcement, so I'm allowed to have high capacity mags. The other concern I have is the mags actually say "10 Round Restricted" on the side, so if they can be turned into 20 rounders would I be in violation of some obscure law by modifying them? Any info is greatly appreciated.
    “They that plow iniquity and sow wickedness shall reap the same.” Job 4:8

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    To my knowledge only Ca. is restricted to 10 round magazines.

For sure, someone with more knowledge then I will jump in.

Feedback Score
    I'm fairly sure NY has the 10 round restriction too, although I've never dealt with it. You would think I would know these things, but to be honest I've never had to deal with 10 round restricted mags before. Really all I need to know is, if I can remove the pop rivets and make it a 20 round mag... I can always remove the "Restricted" from the side if it's an issue.

Feedback Score
    The mags may have been epoxied too. In California there is an issue with magazine permanence for fixed AR builds.

If you are a LEO officer in California, you should be GTG.

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/in...e_restrictions

Feedback Score
    I'm LEO in New York, not sure how the mag capacity thing plays out here. I think it's restricted in NY City, but not the rest of the state. I'll have to check tomorrow... I also think I'm going to try removing the rivets in the 10 round mag. If it doesn't work, I'm only out the cost of a new mag ($19.95), not the end of the world.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I think its a state law, not just NYC.

New York prohibits the manufacture, transportation, disposal and possession of any large capacity ammunition feeding device, which New York Penal Law § 265.00(23) defines as "a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device" manufactured after September 13, 1994, "that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition." Sections 265.02(8), 265.10.

You could probobly sell if for more than the cost of a non modified 20round PMag.

I know I have to pay between $20 and $25 for a $14 PMag that is made NJ legal. You could proboly just sell it and buy a new mag and now worry about messing it up and removing anything.

Feedback Score
    I'm going to just leave it alone... I ordered the 20 round mags from LWRC and had to fax them a photo copy of my ID before they would ship to NY... I've had high cap mags mail ordered to my house in the past, I've never had a problem until now.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Edit.
    Last edited by 556mp; 08-09-10 at 12:05.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Exclamation

CA is complicated. If you have a rifle that is considered "off-list" per CA DOJ, you can have a detachable standard capacity magazine provided that the rifle does not have a pistol grip, folding stock, or flash hider.

Looks like DC only allowing registration of pistols with ten round mags.
    http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/frames.asp?d...gistration.pdf

HI has a ten round pistol magazine limit. The AG has deemed standard capacity AR15 magazines as "pistol magazines."

MD forbids the SALE of standard capacity magazines within the state (includes mail-ordering), but does not stop people from acquiring them from outside the state and possessing them in-state.

NJ has a fifteen round limit, period.

NY has a ten round limit on all magazines manufactured after September 13, 1994. In NY, the burden of proof of date of manufacture of a "pre-ban" standard capacity magazine is on the owner.

Massachusetts has a ten round limit on all magazines manufactured after September 13, 1994. A Class A or B License to Carry is required to legally possess these so-called "pre-ban" magazines.
    Last edited by 30 cal slut; 08-09-10 at 12:55.
    Doing my part to keep malls safe

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    NY has a ten round limit on all magazines manufactured after September 13, 1994. In NY, the burden of proof of date of manufacture of a "pre-ban" standard capacity magazine is on the owner.

30 cal slut

There is no case law or nor is it written in the Penal law that the burden of proof lies with the owner.
    Last edited by sjc3081; 08-09-10 at 14:51.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast