Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LMT with PRS stock -Buffer and Spring Question

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    if you nose the charging handle and extend the stock, you might as well get a UBR or fixed stock- otherwise you're just cheeking cold aluminum, and might even have your chin pressed up against the corner of the stock... all lame
    The sopmod works great for standing up,or even bench shooting, but prone it sucks.

AnchorStation Guest
    The ACS is much better for prone than the SOPMOD.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnchorStation View Post
    The ACS is much better for prone than the SOPMOD.
    ..oh?

Feedback Score
    I've got a rifle buffer and buffer tube that I bought with a PRS for an AR15, but never installed it. Is this buffer OK for the 308 MWS, with the AR10 PRS?
    CGN Rotorwing_Savior

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    CCFP

NO! You cannot use your AR15 rifle buffer from your AR15 PRS stock on the AR10 platform. Your buffer is over a half inch too LONG. The AR10 308 bolt carrier is longer than the 5.56 by 0.655".

You do use the same rifle length buffer tube for both. You will also need a new spring as well. Magpul sales an AR15-AR10 PRS stock conversion kit which replaces the cheek piece on your AR15 PRS stock with one that is shorter so it doesn’t interfere with the charging handle on the AR10 LMT MWS. It also comes with a spacer to feel the gap. I just ordered one for mine and it was a bit of a pain because it seems like only one guy there knows about it and it can’t be found on-line.

Most all of the AR10 rifles run shorter buffers be they rifle length or CAR. They also use the same buffer tubes as used in the AR15 guns. The exception to the rule is LMT. Their engineers told me that they wanted to use standard AR15 buffers (H3) in their rifles so they made their carbine buffer tube 0.655" longer for the 308.

The buffer plays a huge role in the overall weapon and needs to be right and of the correct weight. I have been told that some AR10 makers just take an AR15 buffer and cut it down by removing one of the weights and install it in the rifle. WTF?

While I like the SOPMOD and run it on a few of my rifles I agree with most that it sucks as a bench or prone style stock. I am going to give the Magpul UBR a try. The UBR comes with its own version of a "standard" CAR buffer tube so I needed to get a shorter CAR buffer and spring. This is the go to source for AR10 buffers and springs in my opinion. Very good service and delivery but a little pricey.

http://www.heavybuffers.com/index.html

I assume you could run something from Armalite or DPMS but I didn’t want to chance it and the reviews I read about the "heavy buffer" all said that it was worth the money in improved weapon performance and reliability. They are also recommended for use by MAGPUL.

It’s been an interesting journey. Hope the info helps.

Feedback Score
    Thanks Crossgun, that's helpful info. I'll try to source what I need through your link. I'm not going to convert my present PRS, That's destined for another gun, it's a gen 1 and it's OD. My MWS is going to stay black.
    CGN Rotorwing_Savior

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12