Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: From the HUH? files: My church needs an active shooter plan....

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

From the HUH? files: My church needs an active shooter plan....

So yesterday I am in my pastor's office and he hands me a letter from the insurance company. I start reading and to my surprise I discover that the insurance company wants us to develop an active shooter response plan for the church and file it with them.

Now I know that there have been several active shooter incidents in churches because scumbags think they are easy prey. I have also experienced firsthand how willing bad guys are to do things like commit armed robbery in churches....but filing an active shooter response plan? That seems a bit over the top.

And, of course, the letter was full of helpful suggestions like establishing "lockdown" areas of the building...which is a real feat in a building that wasn't designed to repel invaders.

I've been asked to participate in crafting a response to this request.

Obviously I can't submit in writing what the actual response to an active shooter in the church is going to be.....

But for the sake of fulfilling the requirement I am thinking of writing up a plan that basically outlines the unsuitability of any area of our facility as a "lockdown" area and outline a plan for "orderly and immediate evacuation".

Any thoughts or suggestions any of you gentlemen have would be MUCH appreciated.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Wow that is really interesting.

My plan would be to have several people armed in the church.

C4

Feedback Score
    I know that many of the larger churches in the DFW area are now using EP type armed security teams for their services and facilities. This is an outgrowth of an active shooter in a Fort Worth church several years ago and some well founded beliefs that an Islamic inspired attack would target them also.

There are likely lots of resources out there specifically for churches. You might look over at Tactical Forums on the EP section to see if you could get some help on this.

FWIW, I have ALWAYS carried at church and always will. The grasseaters can then continue to graze.....

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    I can neither confirm nor deny that the unofficial plan is to have a certain member of the church who may or may not be regularly armed and may or may not have acquired significant amounts of weapons training from competent professionals present during services and who may or may not posses the willingness to use the weapon he/she may or may not be carrying to stop an attempted mass killing.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Wow that is really interesting.

That should absolutely be part of the (official or unofficial) plan.

Our church previous pastor (now retired) typically carried a .357.
    GLOCK PREFECTION

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrMark View Post
    That should absolutely be part of the (official or unofficial) plan.
    I can neither confirm nor deny that a particular individual when consulted about the plan for an active shooter suggested the following bulleted list: "Step 1: Kill the bastard. Step 2: Call the police. Step 3: Have carpets cleaned."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    I can neither confirm nor deny that the unofficial plan is to have a certain member of the church who may or may not be regularly armed and may or may not have acquired significant amounts of weapons training from competent professionals present during services and who may or may not posses the willingness to use the weapon he/she may or may not be carrying to stop an attempted mass killing.....
    Um.... Not quite sure what your referring to. I attend church locally. It would be a bit of a drive for me to go all the way up there.
    Protego quod vallo.
    Si vis pacem para bellum.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    I can neither confirm nor deny that a particular individual when consulted about the plan for an active shooter suggested the following bulleted list: "Step 1: Kill the bastard. Step 2: Call the police. Step 3: Have carpets cleaned."
    You need to change the steps Step 2: Call the Wolf and have him straighten things out before the police are called. Sorry I watched Pulp Fiction last night..
    Love you Pop. F*ck Cancer.

Feedback Score
    I know it seems pushy from the insurance company, but many churches are playing ostrich about any type of threat. Natural or man made.

I did design work for a commercial contruction company. I was the go to guy for churches and huge long drawn out industrial projects. I cannot count the times that when I would discuss EP and bottlenecks for exits that the board members' eyes would show that they were just going through the motions of working on these plans. They really did not believe they would ever need them, so they did not think that they needed a plan for them beyond "Head for the door in a calm and orderly fashion."

We were discussing fires or power outages in these meetings, things that happen a heck of a lot more than an Active Shooter, but they would not really engage themselves in the planning for handling them. You think that they would have a plan for an AS?

The insurance company realized that if there is an AS situation and there is a plan on file that there will be less civil liabilty for the church and the insurance company. Sorry for the rant, but too many church boards are in lalaland when it comes to threats.

Feedback Score
    My wife and I are looking for a new church to attend. I wonder if this should be something I ask the pastor...

"Good sermon, my wife and I are thinking about attending your church regularly, can I see you active shooter plan?"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast