Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: From the HUH? files: My church needs an active shooter plan....

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt in AZ View Post
    I thought of your post when I read this account, and it is why I wanted to post this AP story in this thread. My family attends a large non-denominational church which hosts numerous LEO types. The threat plan exists, but I am not read into it.
    It's good that you have several LEOs at your church. From my experience that cuts down on all SORTS of nonsense that should never take place in a house of worship...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    That's exactly the sort of incident that the insurance company is worried about...but there's nothing in an active shooter plan I can come up with that will make much difference, save for the "shoot the bastard" route.
    Isn't it likely that your insurance company (or almost any other) specifically doesn't want people mounting any kind of armed resistance? They seem to be concerned solely with minimizing their liability across the board (which maximizes profits, of course), and not at all with anyone's genuine safety.

Feedback Score
    There is a new children's pastor over in Wayne Dobb's neighborhood that is a former active duty Navy SEAL and currently a Reservist. That is one approach.

Dave

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Damn lawyers...

Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    Isn't it likely that your insurance company (or almost any other) specifically doesn't want people mounting any kind of armed resistance? They seem to be concerned solely with minimizing their liability across the board (which maximizes profits, of course), and not at all with anyone's genuine safety.
    No plan? Inadequate plan? Negligently prepared plan? Maybe no (or reduced) protection from the insurance company. OP, you might suggest your elders/trustees/deacons have an attorney review the policy to find out implications/issues of their request. And exactly why the company wants the plan filed. Ask the company, in writing, for an example of what they consider to be an adequate plan.
    "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, WV St. Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"I don’t care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy." Max Velocity

Feedback Score
    Man it is funny that you brought this topic up. My dad was telling me the other day that our pastor called him and asked him to come over. My dad said that the pastor showed him a letter that he got from the National Association of Churches. The letter stated that churches need to have a plan in place to deal with a AS or terrorist attack. The letter further stated that churches need to have several people in the congregation go through firearms training and conceal carry during church fuunctions. Our pastor is all for having people in the church CC. We also have a lot of LEO's in our church as well as other "gun nuts". One individual in our congregation is a class III dealer and class II manufacturer, so on any given Sunday there is no shortage of firepower. In fact last Sunday, I was talking to a friend in church and he said hey I finally got my paper work back and I'm going shooting after church. We went out to his car and there in a locked case was a nice looking Bridgeport Thompson with 6 mags and about 300 rounds of ammo.
    Never argue with an idiot. You will sink to their level, and then get beat by expierence.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CM-4 View Post
    The letter further stated that churches need to have several people in the congregation go through firearms training and conceal carry during church fuunctions.
    That surprises the heck out of me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by davemcdonald View Post
    There is a new children's pastor over in Wayne Dobb's neighborhood that is a former active duty Navy SEAL and currently a Reservist. That is one approach.

Dave
    Dave,

PM me with the details on this one if you would, please.

WD

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    letter that he got from the National Association of Churches
    Who? I'm not finding an organization with that name.

Feedback Score
    . . . a letter that he got from the National Association of Churches. The letter stated that churches need to have a plan in place to deal with a AS or terrorist attack. The letter further stated that churches need to have several people in the congregation go through firearms training and conceal carry during church fuunctions.
    Is there a chance you could get a copy of the letter and make it available to us?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    Is there a chance you could get a copy of the letter and make it available to us?

Sure, I think I can do that. I may have the name of the organization wrong because my dad was telling me about it. He saw the letter I didn't see it first hand. Since both my brother and I are LEO, the pastor was asking my dad what he thought about the letter and wanted our input. I am all for it, I carry every Sunday anyway. Dad seemed to think judging by the way the letter sounded that maybe the organization was more concerned with a terrorist attack rather than AS which really makes sense to me, although both can happen.
    Never argue with an idiot. You will sink to their level, and then get beat by expierence.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast