Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know of some one making retro AR's

Feedback Score
    I've really been wanting an A1 lately and have been looking to find one.

There are a lot of Colt M16A1 kits floating around as of late, has anyone heard anything substantive about them?

The barrels are not Colt but 1x9, non chrome lined pencil profiles, they look similar to the same barrels offered by Del-Ton.

How important is chrome-lining nowadays?

This gun will probably be a retro plinker, and I can't imagine dumping more than maybe a mag through it at a high rate of fire. Mostly 55gr and definitely non-corrosive.

Is this a good barrel to use as a stop gap until the correct length Green Mountain barrels become available? I'd probably re-barrel it in the future with the more correct option.
    J. Leon

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    There are some extremely knowledgeable guys out there who prefer the A1 to the A2.

I happen to agree with them.

I'd love to have an A1 rifle with one of the FN 1/7" twist barrels that they made.
    I saw some complete A2 FN bbls for sale for $200 on TOS. Would the A2 FSP work with an A1 upper?
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    Would the A2 FSP work with an A1 upper?
    Yes, I have a couple of such and they zero just fine. The A1 FSP has a finer adjustment with stops every 72º and it's round; while the squared post of the A2 is preferred by some it only has stops every 90º.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Thank you. I just bought a slick side A1 Colt upper and now I am hunting for an 11.5" bbl assembly. Im not sure how to deal with the lack of M4 feed ramps I. The upper. I assume all 11.5" bbl's will have feed ramps. I might try adding the feed ramps to the upper myself.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I could buy a rifle length bbl and have it cut. Would that work?

Feedback Score
    I could buy a rifle length bbl and have it cut. Would that work?

call steve at ADCO' he can do anything and everything your wanting.

M4 feed ramps' cutting and re-threading.. i've used him several times.
    he does fantastic work.

and he's fast. turnaround is under a week.

peabody

p.s. just had him re-crown and re-thread an old A1 pencil barrel.
    awsome.
    Last edited by peabody; 11-29-10 at 10:01.
    i started this life with nothing.....kept most of it.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I found an FN bbl assembly on TOS for $159 in excellent shape. My thought is to have it cut to 11.5" . The bbl I have now is a 14.5" with an M4 profile and I would have to cut it to 10.3" to avoid the M203 cut, it also has feed ramps and the A1 does not. The FN does not either. The FN also has the better FSB height.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I found an FN bbl assembly on TOS for $159 in excellent shape. My thought is to have it cut to 11.5" . The bbl I have now is a 14.5" with an M4 profile and I would have to cut it to 10.3" to avoid the M203 cut, it also has feed ramps and the A1 does not. The FN does not either. The FN also has the better FSB height.
    If it were me, depending on the use, I would look into a new made DD hammer forged barrel... They make new A1 profile barrels ready to go and at a very good price point...

http://danieldefense.com/cold-hammer...d-barrels.html

Just my .02

B
    Last edited by Buck; 12-01-10 at 07:59.
    MossieTactics.com ~ KMA 367

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Thanks Buck.

Feedback Score
    I see Bravo Co. is out of stock on their 20" pencil barrels.
    Btw, my A1in the Marines back in the 70's didnt have M4 cuts in the receiver or the extension and it worked just fine.
    We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all.
    Teddy Roosevelt

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast