Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Anyone know of some one making retro AR's

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    If it were me, depending on the use, I would look into a new made DD hammer forged barrel... They make new A1 profile barrels ready to go and at a very good price point...

http://danieldefense.com/cold-hammer...d-barrels.html

Just my .02

B
    I bought one of their mid length LW barrels to build a retro-ish carbine (think a stretched 733).

I built a 603 clone using a DEZ arms A1 profile 20" barrel. It isn't chrome lined, it's a 1/7" twist (I wanted that or 1/9") and is plenty accurate. IIRC, I needed to send it to ADCO to have them pin the FSB for me - that wasn't something I was ready to do at home.

Feedback Score
    Old post, but if still looking, Century Arms (yeah, I know) makes a M16A1 clone.
    Supposably built on Colt M16A1's that went to Guatemala and then sold back to Century.
    Unk receiver, non chrome lined 1X9 pencil barrel, A2 pistol grip, front sight held in place w/ roll pins, not the original solid pins, upper and lower a little loose (but not looser then other M16s that I have handled).
    Comes w/ GI sling and cleaning kit.
    Should be about six and change dealer price.

Feedback Score
    I've got an A1 clone built on a sendra/Rock Island lower I bought as a slickside AR back in 1985. I'm on my third barrel with it... can't get enough trigger time with those 55 grain pills !. Got a spare new chromed bore A1 barrel waiting for another upper to put to it.
    I am also convinced no need for 1/7 twist as I'm no fan of the M855 bullet. I've used my A1 clone and my retro mocked up M4orgery on rabbit , coyote and ground hogs with good effect.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Well this is what I ended up with. Colt SP1 upper, a BCM 11.5" bbl, sully stock and a pair of M4 handguards I had laying around. I changed the handguards a few days ago to a set of MOE's. I was not really going for a correct retro build just retro inspired and simple. I really like the old A1 upper. Other than in drills I've never used a forward assist. I changed the rear sight to a CSACT. I still need to mount a light.

"Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Usmcvet- that's the best build I've seen this year. Very awesome.
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Thanks man. It was my second upper build. I did this A2 first.

Not practical but fun.

This was got me thinking:

"Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    Try Fulton Armory also

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    It would be way cool if someone made an early XM177 stock that fit on a milspec CAR tube.
    "Life is short, but the years are long." - Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'd rather have an old stock Colt/SAK/FN/General Dynamics barrel than any of these new aftermarket barrels that come in the kits.

Also, by the time you pin the FSB to the aftermarket barrels, you could have bought a Colt barrel.
    Last edited by scottryan; 06-06-11 at 15:47.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234