Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newb warning: Can anyone give me the 'go-ahead' on these parts? (or any advice)

Feedback Score

Newb warning: Can anyone give me the 'go-ahead' on these parts? (or any advice)

A few days ago I was hit with the strong impulse to get an AR. Up to this point, AKs in 7.62 and 5.45 (and a Marlin .22LR) are pretty much the only rifles I've owned/shot. I've spent quite a bit of time reading and posting at theakforum.net, so I guess it was inevitable that I would find myself over here looking for information when the time came to get an AR. So far the forum has been a huge help in getting past the initial learning curve. (Thanks!). Anyway, over the last few days I have hit a bunch of your stickies, done some searches, and while I suspect I am missing some critical info here and there, I think I might have my build narrowed down.

What do you think?

LMT Defender 2000 Lower
    http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...product_id=124

BCM Standard 20" Government Profile Upper Receiver Group
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Produ...OV-20&CartID=1 (+Optional BCM Bolt Carrier Group & Handle Package )

Rifle Length Handguards BLACK
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Produ...Black&CartID=3

Troy Folding Battle Sight - REAR
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Produ...+Rear&CartID=4

Is the price at Rainier Arms decent? They are geographically close to me, so I'm tempted to buy retail. Am I forgetting some really critical part that I am going to need to snap this beast together? I am open to any and all advice at this point. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Nexus7; 08-11-10 at 00:16. Reason: new info

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Take a look at dynamicarmament.com for the LMT lower. Why the 20" barrel? IS there a reason? I would go with a 16".
    Last edited by Iraqgunz; 08-11-10 at 00:22.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexus7 View Post
    Yup, good stuff. LMT is a .mil contractor and their products are up to snuff. But as the rest of your list is BCM, why not just build a whole BCM rifle? Also, personally I dislike the Ergo grip but if you like it that is what matters.

Also, you might want to note that on BCM website you can buy a complete BCM lower. It just seems that would match better with a BCM upper, but again it is your rifle so your preference counts.

BCM Standard 20" Government Profile Upper Receiver Group
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Produ...OV-20&CartID=1 (+Optional BCM Bolt Carrier Group & Handle Package )
    Yup, good quality.

Just fine. I bet you are the only guy in the entire year of 2010 who buys standard handguards though.

Top notch.

Is the price at Rainier Arms decent?
    For a lot of these parts there is not much price variation. The exception seems to be BCM uppers which sell for a lot less than many competitive uppers even though the BCMs are better quality. I have ordered several times from Rainier and they have been excellent. So has bravocompanyusa.com.

Am I forgetting some really critical part that I am going to need to snap this beast together? I am open to any and all advice at this point.
    You just need to put the upper on the lower and push the pins together, run a patch through the barrel, lube up the bolt carrier group and go shoot.

One thing that is odd about your setup is that you are putting a carbine lower with a rifle upper. Typically guys put a 16 inch mid-length gas system upper on a carbine lower, or they use a 20 inch barrel with a rifle buffer assembly. So I am a bit confused about what you are trying to achieve with that particular setup.

Congratulations on this purchase and you sure seem to be headed in the right direction. It's a relief and a pleasure to see a fellow who is not tempted to cut corners on his first AR15.

Feedback Score
    @Iraqgunz: Thanks for the tip. That looks like a good price.

I am leaning towards a 20" barrel because I like the idea of the higher velocity and the government profile barrel doesn't sound too heavy. My gut is telling me to go with a 20" now but that probably just means my second AR is going to be short and light.
    Last edited by Nexus7; 08-11-10 at 01:27.

Feedback Score
    55 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 500grains View Post

Just fine. I bet you are the only guy in the entire year of 2010 who buys standard handguards though.

Congratulations on this purchase and you sure seem to be headed in the right direction. It's a relief and a pleasure to see a fellow who is not tempted to cut corners on his first AR15.
    lol, I bought a set till I found a M5 RAS at the right price. So that will make two of us.

All the parts are solid choices. The only thing I would do different is try and pick up a BCM lower and get a Vltor A5 EMOD stock set.

Feedback Score
    Last month, I bought one of the BCM 20'' uppers. I wanted an old fashioned KISS rifle, no thrills, no optic, no railed handguards, that I can mount on the lower I already had for my SPR. this way, I'll go back to the basics (iron sights, carrying handle), while using it as a training tool when my buddies/squadron mates want to learn how to shoot a rifle.

I also bought the black handguards (that makes three of us!) and asked the good guys at BCM to install it when they shipped it to me.

I'm very happy with my purchase, and the summer sale price can't be beat. Highly recommend!
    Last edited by nickh46; 08-11-10 at 01:13.

Feedback Score
    @500grains: Wow thanks for the detailed reply!

As for your first point, I do like the BCM A4 rifle and I am tempted to buy it. For that matter, I also looked around for a comparably configured Colt (which I don't believe exists). I am leaning towards building from parts because of the massive tax that we now have to pay doing transfers. I'd much rather pay the tax on a $350 complete lower than the whole rifle, but there I go cutting corners. I like the idea of complete uppers and lowers, because it solves the tax issue, but doesn't sound like it involves any building expertise. Maybe I should pair the upper with a BCM lower, though.

And as for the carbine lower and the rifle upper: that was pretty much out of ignorance, I didn't know there was a difference. What exactly is the difference between a carbine lower and a rifle lower? Just for the sake of understanding, are you saying that if I swapped out the carbine buffer for a $15 rifle buffer, it would then be a rifle lower, or is there something more?

Honestly, I've never felt the ergo grip, but I was drawn to that complete lower because it's an LMT, and in part, because it includes the adjustable carbine stock, which I will probably find useful as I adjust my stance from short Warsaw length stocks. I will look at that Vltor A5.

I was lurking a bit after starting this thread and discovered that Rainier opened a storefront around here in the last year, so I will definitely be stopping by there, one way or another, to check the place out. Now that I know I can just pick up the LMT lower retail with no transfer fee or shipping, I'm really tempted to just combine the BCM and LMT, although I don't want to do something idiotic regarding the whole rifle vs. carbine parts thing. I hear 2 of you urging me to go all BCM, are there any known issues combining the LMT lower and BCM upper or would this just be playing it extra safe?

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Nexus7; 08-11-10 at 01:52.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    check your private messages.

Feedback Score
    Retract my recommendations.
    Last edited by Blankwaffe; 08-12-10 at 01:47. Reason: delete
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Armed Protective Services II

Feedback Score
    Thanks, I'm looking into that now.

ETA: Yes, the C7A2 does look like exactly what I had in mind. So it sounds like these particular parts with the carbine buffer might just work out of the box, but the C7A2 uses an H2 buffer so I may need that if I run into problems. Some people are also referring to a different buffer spring but I have no idea the specs on that.
    Last edited by Nexus7; 08-11-10 at 03:17.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast