Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newb warning: Can anyone give me the 'go-ahead' on these parts? (or any advice)

Feedback Score
    Personally, I like the Ergo Ambi Grip. They are comfortable for me when handling a rifle for long periods of time. I have them on two rifles I use constantly.
    Last edited by Jager; 08-11-10 at 03:10.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    It's your gun and your dime, so do what you want, but there really isn't much need for 20" barrels, and for some reason 20s with collapsible stocks are way more nose-heavy than even an 18.

When most people strip away all the unnecessary for a true General Purpose rifle, they generally come down to a 16" gun, with pretty much everyoke between a 14.5 and 18, with a few using SBRs. It's for a good reason.

Anyway, have fun in your search.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Take a look at dynamicarmament.com for the LMT lower. Why the 20" barrel? IS there a reason? I would go with a 16".
    Second on that. It's cheaper and it's not AS heavy as a 20''.
    The most powerful weapon in the WORLD is the Marine.

Feedback Score
    Hm, I may need to handle some similar configurations before I buy. I guess I should take another look at midlengths as well.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You would be wise to listen to Failure2Stop and Iraqgunz, they simply know what they are talking about. When I was getting my first AR15 I wish I had the opportunity to get their advice.

All the components you have selected are good quality, I have 3 LMT Defender 2000 lowers and they have no problems mating up to a BCM upper. They are good lowers. However, if I was doing it again I would buy a BCM or Daniel Defense lower. The finish on the DD and BCM lowers are better than the LMTs I have a DD and a BCM in addition to the 3 LMTs. I have 5 sets of the Troy folding sights they are excellent.

I will second the guys advice above and recommend:

BCM Lower
    BCM 16" mid length gas system upper with BCM bolt carrier group and charging handle
    BCM mid length handguards
    Troy sights

The 16" mid length is the "sweet spot" in the AR rifles.

Cameron

Feedback Score
    According to this thread, you only gain about 3-4% in velocity going for the 20" over a 16," so I guess that sort of rules out any major ballistic advantage:

https://www.m4carbine.net/archive/in...p/t-26436.html

I still feel drawn towards a full length gas system. I suppose it's because of all the passing comments I've heard about the 20" being cleaner, putting less wear on parts, having lighter recoil, and being more "reliable." I have also heard that these are exaggerations, which seems to be the tone in the current thread. I guess the mid length may be the best of both worlds.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I highly recommend the BCM 16" middie with 13" JP/Vtac Extreme HG. Cost effective, good barrel protection, free-floated, easy to pull off.
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-1...6%20vtrx13.htm
    I have the same one with a BFH barrel (a little more $, but not much), and it is my favorite GP carbine.

The 16" middies are a great bench-mark; able to do everything pretty well. Unless you are shooting Service Rifle High Power competitions, a 20" barrel with a fixed FSB is not going to bring much more to the capability of the rifle.

But hey, some people just like certain things. If you really want a 20" barrel, go merrily ahead. I am certainly not going to think less of you either way.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Good to see you over here man.

Go 16".

You'll get another AR sooner or later, and with that one, sure, make it a 20" A2 or A4 clone....

Failure2Stop has had to hump around a lot of A2's and A4's, listen to him.....
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Nexus, the rifle buffer tube / receiver extension is longer.

As you are broadening the search to 16", here is a great offering:

http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=s...product_id=207

And here is a fantastic upper (M249 bbl steel) which you can drop onto any lower of your preference, thus avoiding the large tax:

http://www.centurionarms.com/index.p...art&Itemid=134

Feedback Score
    I liked the idea of going all BCM, but I got the SOPMOD stock that I had been jonesing for at a little below market value by picking up the complete LMT lower with LMT NM 2-stage trigger at a very convenient local shop, out the door for $525 (thanks for the tip, spamsammich). I realize that the stock and trigger are expensive, and maybe not worth it from a cost vs. practicality perspective, but the stock is pretty solid and happens to get a lot of 'cool factor' points from me, and I generally prefer 2 stage triggers.

It sounds like the jury is in on the 16" barrel with mid length gas system, so I will probably place an order with BCM this evening on either the standard 16" midlength or the BFH for $100 more + $135 BCM BCG and charging handle. I really like the free floated, railed uppers posted by failure2stop and 500grains, but they are a little more expensive than I can afford now. I'm just going to get cheap, standard hand guards and save money in the interim while I get used to the platform and save money for optics. I'm pretty happy with the accuracy I can get from my Saigas and Bulgarian 74s, so I will probably be impressed with the AR before taking any steps to accurize it.

Thanks for the welcome, Templar. I first heard about this board in some of your posts on the AK forum.

I'll probably post some pics of the complete rifle next week when the upper arrives. Big thanks to the forum.
    Last edited by Nexus7; 08-14-10 at 02:58.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast