Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surefire E2D in carry-on?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Surefire E2D in carry-on?

I'm taking a trip in a few weeks to the Carribbean and want to take my Surefire E2D with me. If one of the TSA pukes asks about the strike bezel I'm sure I can explain that they are vent holes because the lens can get warm.

However, my concern is with the batteries...Surefire Lithium Batteries. I only use Surefire brand batteries in my lights, and they say Lithium right on the battery. From the TSA website:

research also shows that an explosion will not result from shorting or damaging either lithium-ion or primary lithium batteries. Both are, however, extremely flammable. Primary lithium batteries cannot be extinguished with firefighting agents normally carried on aircraft, whereas lithium-ion batteries are easily extinguished by most common extinguishing agents, including those carried on board commercial aircraft.
    http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...batteries.shtm

Will these batteries pose a problem? I don't plan on carrying the light through the TSA checkpoint...it'll just be in my carry-on bag along with 3 spares batteries.

What do you all think? Will I get hassled about this flashlight? Or will some illiterate punk think its some sort of hazard and confiscate it? Please let me know of your input. Thanks!
    A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject.

Feedback Score

hmmm

Airport security has generally kept true to their promise of hiring the dullest of the dull. I have gone from people that want to know if you are using your phone as a numchuck to walking through with shoes on and them not noticing. It honestly helps to choose which line you are going through, generally speaking if you can identify with someone they won't give you shit. If you really want it there and are unsure you can look into mailing it directly to your hotel.
    "You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. " - Tyler Durden

Feedback Score
    Oh, and not to sound too devious and no disrespect is implied... If you are bringing a lady friend along, throw in a vibrator and swap out her batteries for lithiums. Choose the right line and guaranteed no one will ask questions. Not sure if that falls under social engineering, but most employees avoid embarrassing situations.
    "You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. " - Tyler Durden

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    i traveled to the carib back in june and contemplated carrying my 6p defender. I ended up leaving it at home and just used the flashlight app on my phone. It is odd that the TSA has an issue with lithium batteries. Arent cell phone batteries lithium?
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing lunch, Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote.

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    It is loose batteries that are the problem. Use a spares carrier for the 123As and take your E2D with no worries. I had a G2 LED and six spares with me in my carry-on for my last trip and had no issues. That being said, if you have loose batteries, they'll take them every time. Fire hazard comes form the potential short with the loose batteries.

Just my experience, FWIW.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have flown with flashlights and loose spare batteries in my carry-on at least a dozen times over the last 2 or 3 years without so much as a second glance. You'll be fine.
    Principles matter.

Feedback Score
    83 (100%)
    I fly all the time with my E2DL or Backup, two spare batteries, and a Surefire pen in my carry on. Been doing this for the past two years through dozens of airports CONUS and well as the Caribbean without issue. Be polite, be professional, and....
    Last edited by NoBody; 08-13-10 at 06:39.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Sounds like I'll be okay taking it and a few extra batteries in my carry-on then. I will, however, have whoever drops me off wait until I clear security just in case it does get flagged and unallowed. Thanks for the replies!
    A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Has the E2D even gotten any weird looks? And are you guys carrying this on you, or tossing it in luggage?

Feedback Score
    83 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Has the E2D even gotten any weird looks? And are you guys carrying this on you, or tossing it in luggage?
    Nope. I put a lens filter on and put it in my carry on until I clear security. I then put it in my pocket (at the checkpoint) as I get dressed again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast