Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bolt Carrier forge markings.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I was looking over my Bolt Carrier and notice it didn't have any markings on it. Does it mean its a P.O.S. bolt carrier or is it common not to have factory markings?
    Dead men tell no tales!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bradb55 View Post
    I was looking over my Bolt Carrier and notice it didn't have any markings on it. Does it mean its a P.O.S. bolt carrier or is it common not to have factory markings?
    The presence or lack of markings is not enough to decide if a carrier is good or not.
    For example, LMT carriers don't have markings, but DPMS do.
    Which would you rather have?
    If the carrier is well machined and the bolt moves smoothly in the chrome lined bolt recess, then it's most likely an acceptable part.
    It should have a chrome lined gas key with good staking on the gas key so that the screws can't come loose with use.
    Ideally it would have a shrouded firing pin such as the "AR15 enhanced" and "M16" carriers below.

Randall Rausch
    AR15 Barrel Guru

Feedback Score

Thank you!

Ekie, thanks you for ID'ing this BCG. I can now go to sleep at night without the last thought in my head being, "Who makes that damn J"

Randall and Grant, thank ya'll for for the added information and education. I kept seeing "forge markings" so I thought it applied to BCGs as well. Thats why I think this is the best AR site, if you are not careful, you just might learn something!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AR15barrels View Post
    The presence or lack of markings is not enough to decide if a carrier is good or not.
    For example, LMT carriers don't have markings, but DPMS do.
    Which would you rather have?
    If the carrier is well machined and the bolt moves smoothly in the chrome lined bolt recess, then it's most likely an acceptable part.
    It should have a chrome lined gas key with good staking on the gas key so that the screws can't come loose with use.
    Ideally it would have a shrouded firing pin such as the "AR15 enhanced" and "M16" carriers below.

Thanks.
    Dead men tell no tales!

Feedback Score
    How does everyone here feel about the LMT "Enhanced Carriers"?
    I'm not sure if that "Enhanced" carrier pictured by Randall up above is an LMT "Enhanced" carrier or not? Doesn't look like it, as I thought the LMT Enhanced carriers had that special coating (shiny) on them.
    Regardless, I have had one respectable guy tell me he does not like the LMT Enhanced design, as it apparently has an extra gas vent/port hole in it?
    Not sure of the scientific reasoning behind the Enhanced LMT carriers, but I'd like to know what you guys think about them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cataldo View Post
    How does everyone here feel about the LMT "Enhanced Carriers"?
    I'm not sure if that "Enhanced" carrier pictured by Randall up above is an LMT "Enhanced" carrier or not? Doesn't look like it, as I thought the LMT Enhanced carriers had that special coating (shiny) on them.
    Regardless, I have had one respectable guy tell me he does not like the LMT Enhanced design, as it apparently has an extra gas vent/port hole in it?
    Not sure of the scientific reasoning behind the Enhanced LMT carriers, but I'd like to know what you guys think about them.
    The picture above is still a regular style carrier, not an LMT "enhanced" carrier.
    The LMT's should really be called "advanded" carriers because they have several distinct changes, all aimed at correcting over-gassed carbine barrels.

First, they have extended the cam pin slot which delays the unlocking of the bolt.
    This required the front end of the carrier to extend slightly and you can see that this extension actually fits slightly into the chamfer on the barrel extension.
    Second, they added the extra exhaust port to let the pressure bleed off quicker inside the carrier when the gas rings pass the exhast port during unlocking.
    Then there is an extra exhaust port to relieve whatever gas gets past the tail of the bolt.
    Then there is the reliefs on the bearing points where the carrier contacts the receiver.

The LMT enhanced carriers are good in 14.5" and 16" carbine barrels.
    You don't NEED one in a mid-length barrel because mid-length barrels are not as over-gassed and run at reduced pressures already.
    You don't WANT one in a 10.5" or 11.5" barrel as they will actually cause problems due to the lack of gas system dwell time on short barrels.

LMT enhanced CARRIERS don't have a different finish.
    LMT enhanced BOLTS are electroless nickel plated.
    Randall Rausch
    AR15 Barrel Guru

Feedback Score

mid-lengths.

Would the Enhanced Carrier provide ANY benefit in a mid length (since the pressure is still somewhat higher than a rifle length system?

Tx.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by AR15barrels View Post
    The picture above is still a regular style carrier, not an LMT "enhanced" carrier.
    The LMT's should really be called "advanded" carriers because they have several distinct changes, all aimed at correcting over-gassed carbine barrels.

First, they have extended the cam pin slot which delays the unlocking of the bolt.
    This required the front end of the carrier to extend slightly and you can see that this extension actually fits slightly into the chamfer on the barrel extension.
    Second, they added the extra exhaust port to let the pressure bleed off quicker inside the carrier when the gas rings pass the exhast port during unlocking.
    Then there is an extra exhaust port to relieve whatever gas gets past the tail of the bolt.
    Then there is the reliefs on the bearing points where the carrier contacts the receiver.

The LMT enhanced carriers are good in 14.5" and 16" carbine barrels.
    You don't NEED one in a mid-length barrel because mid-length barrels are not as over-gassed and run at reduced pressures already.
    You don't WANT one in a 10.5" or 11.5" barrel as they will actually cause problems due to the lack of gas system dwell time on short barrels.

LMT enhanced CARRIERS don't have a different finish.
    LMT enhanced BOLTS are electroless nickel plated.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmithla View Post
    Would the Enhanced Carrier provide ANY benefit in a mid length (since the pressure is still somewhat higher than a rifle length system?
    No.
    In fact, Robb has even seen it to cause short stroking in one case.

Mid-length barrels don't have the issue of pre-mature extraction.
    THAT is what most of the carbine gas system "patches" are trying to solve for.
    Randall Rausch
    AR15 Barrel Guru

Feedback Score

Another "J" carrier

Here is another photo of the J.C. Manufacturing M16 bolt carrier:

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Sorry for the Hijack....BUT...

Is there anything really desirable about the SP1 carrier? Aside from collecting, or to make a rifle "authentic"?

I have a friend who had a custom rig built w/ one of these carriers in there..and he gets doubles with his 2# trigger occasionally....I'm thinking a shrouded carrier would help eliminate this problem...yes?

So, is there any reason why someone would want a SP1 carrier in their gun?

Thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast