Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: SCAR: Full-Rate Production Announcement

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe_Bailey View Post
    Again, I am not here to ruffle anyone's feathers or make anyone 'happy'...I am here to provide as much fact as possible. Thanks again to those who take what they 'hear' with a grain of salt.

Sincerely,
    Gabe
    Gabe thanks for taking the time to let us know "from the horse's mouth". There are not many companies that will do that and it is appreciated.

Also, I would like a SCAR 17S with the long forearm that you displayed at Shot Show.

This one:

PM me for my local FFL info.

Thanks again.
    Cameron
    Last edited by Cameron; 08-19-10 at 15:56.

Feedback Score
    Gabe,

Thanks for the informative posts.

Does full-rate production include the "common receiver" or whatever components will be required to shoot multiple calibers (particularly 5.56) from the MK17?

Can you or anyone clarify or provide any info regarding what parts will be needed to convert calibers? Mainly, I am curious if there will be an alternative lower receiver that accepts 5.56 magazines or some kind of magazine well adapter.

Feedback Score
    Im willing to bet that before it is all said and done SOCOM will get the MK16. Certain units will purchase the weapon on their own and in time the worn out M4's will get replaced with the SCAR.

Right now thw SCAR 17 ( which is still a SCAR ) is the hottest trend due to the war in Afghanistan. The 7.62 x 51 is more suited for such a conflict. Why not buy more if that is what works.
    If we were just invading Iraq, Im sure that the Mk 16 would have been the hot ticket. Much more urban fighting.
    This reminds me of the Multicam/ACU uniforms. The Army cannot make up their mind what they want. Really pathetic.
    The SCAR family is here to stay and in time I believe the MK 16 will join those ranks.

Feedback Score

Rumint...

The way I see it, based on my personal conversations with the contract's end users. The MK-17 isn't really competing with the M4 at all. It's competing with old M14s that are still in service.

Muddyboots

Feedback Score
    I have to admit that the SCAR-H incredible as a 7.62 x 51mm Battle rifle.

I have a 17 and it is damn near as light as my AR.
    Providing NFA Trust Services to Texas Citizens

www.AtomicLabRat.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SRT-M4 View Post
    Im willing to bet that before it is all said and done SOCOM will get the MK16. Certain units will purchase the weapon on their own and in time the worn out M4's will get replaced with the SCAR.

Right now thw SCAR 17 ( which is still a SCAR ) is the hottest trend due to the war in Afghanistan. The 7.62 x 51 is more suited for such a conflict. Why not buy more if that is what works.
    If we were just invading Iraq, Im sure that the Mk 16 would have been the hot ticket. Much more urban fighting.
    This reminds me of the Multicam/ACU uniforms. The Army cannot make up their mind what they want. Really pathetic.
    The SCAR family is here to stay and in time I believe the MK 16 will join those ranks.

I highly doubt it.
    It has nothing to do with performance. Just look at the firearms industry in US. The vast majotity of the players make a lot of money out of AR15 clones. Cheap and easy, without much design and testing required, little money spent on development.
    Until FN came with a completely new rifle for the SCAR competition almost everyone was betting all their money on some sort of AR version. Even highly inovative companies like HK got in the AR15 clone market.
    If SCAR was to be selected to replace M4, with the system being able to replace all AR15 versions, M14 versions and AR10 versions in the millitary, everyone else can just pack and go home. What are they going to sell to the millitary? The SCAR platform is adaptable enough to do all the jobs needed.With the SCAR being a new system, until the patent expires, all the other players in the industry would be out of the loop.
    THe SCAR is easier and cheapeer to produce than an AR15 and offers more out of the box, so if FN would make a production line States side, it would eat up a huge slice of the AR15 market pie.

Do you think the other big players in the industry would allow this to happen? SCAR is the single biggest treat to all this companies and they will do everything in their power to kill it. Is one thing to have two companies in the competition, is entirely different thing to have everyone else in the industry against you. Using all their "contacts" within the military against you.

If the military was a private company, that pays with it's own money for a weapon system, the SCAR platform is incredibly artractive from both capability and financiar point of view. Probably the single most atractive package since AK.
    But since they play with tax payers money, the one that has most high ranking officers on his side wins.

M4 will be in the military for a long time to come so everyone in the industry can make money by selling all kind of fixes and kits that should otherwise come in standard.
    Last edited by Jaws; 09-26-10 at 13:45.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
    I highly doubt it.
    It has nothing to do with performance. Just look at the firearms industry in US. The vast majotity of the players make a lot of money out of AR15 clones. Cheap and easy, without much design and testing required, little money spent on development.
    Until FN came with a completely new rifle for the SCAR competition almost everyone was betting all their money on some sort of AR version. Even highly inovative companies like HK got in the AR15 clone market.
    If SCAR was to be selected to replace M4, with the system being able to replace all AR15 versions, M14 versions and AR10 versions in the millitary, everyone else can just pack and go home. What are they going to sell to the millitary? The SCAR platform is adaptable enough to do all the jobs needed.With the SCAR being a new system, until the patent expires, all the other players in the industry would be out of the loop.
    THe SCAR is easier and cheapeer to produce than an AR15 and offers more out of the box, so if FN would make a production line States side, it would eat up a huge slice of the AR15 market pie.

Do you think the other big players in the industry would allow this to happen? SCAR is the single biggest treat to all this companies and they will do everything in their power to kill it. Is one thing to have two companies in the competition, is entirely different thing to have everyone else in the industry against you. Using all their "contacts" within the military against you.

If the military was a private company, that pays with it's own money for a weapon system, the SCAR platform is incredibly artractive from both capability and financiar point of view. Probably the single most atractive package since AK.
    But since they play with tax payers money, the one that has most high ranking officers on his side wins.

M4 will be in the military for a long time to come so everyone in the industry can make money by selling all kind of fixes and kits that should otherwise come in standard.
    I have to say that you are probably right.

My thinking of our troops need the best piece of kit out there doesnt always happen.
    The M4/M16 is ''good enough'' and will probably be here a while.
    Last edited by SRT-M4; 09-26-10 at 21:25.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Common Receiver

Quote Originally Posted by chargedmr2 View Post
    Gabe,

Thanks for the informative posts.

Does full-rate production include the "common receiver" or whatever components will be required to shoot multiple calibers (particularly 5.56) from the MK17?

Can you or anyone clarify or provide any info regarding what parts will be needed to convert calibers? Mainly, I am curious if there will be an alternative lower receiver that accepts 5.56 magazines or some kind of magazine well adapter.
    I'd like to know this as well. I finally managed to find a SCAR 17 and I'm waiting for my dealer to receive it. But when I contacted FN's LE sales dept., the rep claimed no knowledge of a common receiver or conversion kit. I know FN's posted a press release on their site about SOCOM testing the conversion setup but I'm not sure what to believe. It would be the single best rifle to have in my opinion. Handles the heavier 7.62 round but can be used for 5.56 as well. I think I would never shoot another rifle again! But I think I may need to save up for a 16s if that's not the case. Any further info would be appreciated.

Leave the guns...bring the cannolis.
    Give me but one firm spot on which to stand and I will move the Earth. -Archimedes

Feedback Score
    I spoke with 2 FN employees late in November and they stated that there currently is no 5.56 Scar 17 conversion kit and it is not clear if it ever will be produced

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234