Thread: To Free float or not........

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

To Free float or not........

I was going to have a mid-length upper built until I fell into a new 6920 for a good price. (under $1200 otd)
    Here is the decision part. I've got a KAC/RIS and 12" YHM light FF rifle length tube with low profile block all sitting new in the box. Should I use one of those or sell both and go with a 7" Troy or DD? Right now I'm leaning towards either using the RIS or selling everything and using the money on a Troy 7", LaRue QD Buis and LaRue Aimpoint mount.
    Any input? I've been using a RIS on my other carbine and don't have any problems with them. I'm just thinking I might want to FF this one, but don't have any experience with them.

Edit: Ordered the Buis and Aimpoint mount.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I thought I would further define my intentions with the carbine.
    I'm looking for COM from CQB to 300ish with a push to 500 with the ACOG, I'm hanging a light, vert grip and Vickers sling nothing more. I'm using an Aimpoint ML2 in a LaRue QD mount, and LaRue QD Buis.

Thanks,
    Don

Feedback Score
    Sell both rails, get a DD. Lighter than the Troy, and sucks off more heat.

Feedback Score
    It's up to you, but I personally don't bother free-floating unless I'm putting a rail on a precision gun that will have a bipod.
    Nemo me impune lacessit

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ditch the YHM POS.

If you're just looking for a place to hang a light and maybe a VFG on a gun, you're not going to go wrong with the RAS/RIS for most uses.

For most purposes I prefer the simplicity of the KAC rails.
    NOT in training for combat deployment.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Thanks guys,
    That was what I was looking for, I felt like I was getting caught up in some kind of Gucci syndrome. I decided to run the RIS since I already have it and my other carbine is set up this way. I'm waiting for my buis and aimpoint mount to be delivered from Grant on Tuesday, then get it out to the range.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy196 View Post
    Ditch the YHM POS.

If you're just looking for a place to hang a light and maybe a VFG on a gun, you're not going to go wrong with the RAS/RIS for most uses.

For most purposes I prefer the simplicity of the KAC rails.
    Agree with the Lumpster here. The 6920 is a fighting gun and a KAC RIS/RAS is just fine for what your doing.

If the weapon had a nice SS barrel on it, I would have said to FF it, but since it is chrome lined, I wouldn't worry about it.

C4

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Agree with the Lumpster here. The 6920 is a fighting gun and a KAC RIS/RAS is just fine for what your doing.

If the weapon had a nice SS barrel on it, I would have said to FF it, but since it is chrome lined, I wouldn't worry about it.

C4

That was my thinking as well. Why mess with what has been working for me.