Thread: Wolf ammo on steel targets???

Feedback Score

Wolf ammo on steel targets???

Hi folks,

I've got a question about Wolf ammo. Has anyone ever not been allowed to shoot Wolf on steel targets?

It's "bimetal," apparently steel and copper(?).

Not interested in discussion the other negatives of Wolf. Just curious if it's not allowed on some ranges, with some instructors, etc.

Thanks. (I'm new here. I like this forum a lot.)

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I've shot a ton of it, mainly in 7.62x39mm and 5.45x39mm against steel, but no closer than 50 yards away. The grade of the steel used in the targe is what will determine any damage.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    Quality of steel targets is the main factor.

Feedback Score
    When shooting steel targets with rifles you need a minimum of AR500. Wolf ammo on steel should not be an issue. Velocities exceeding 3,000 fps when it strikes the steel is what causes most of the damage, that combined with bullet construction. Steel target hardness and target system design help minimize this damage. Salute Products DoD MilSpec target systems help minimize this significantly.

Go to www.saluteproducts.com then click on their FAQ link and Safety Link to learn more. Also, you can view the Video links to see more.

S/F

Feedback Score
    Wolf will cut through regular steel just as easily as AE, UMC or any other 223/556 at closer range. It will still divot AR500 from anything closer than 50-60 yards, the closer the bigger the divot. I've shot all kinds of steels at a lot of closer distances and they're all about the same. What you don't want to do is shoot a 44 mag at it. That'll ruin things pretty quick.