Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Military rifle damage

Feedback Score
    For the elastic limit to be overcome, is it just the distance of the stretch or is the speed with which the tissues are moving a factor as well?

What size of a stretch cavity would it take (without fragmentation) to exceed the limits of lung tissue or muscle tissue?

Do the blunt trauma effects from the stretch cavity add any problems or complications to a wound or are they insignificant?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsfan69 View Post
    For the elastic limit to be overcome, is it just the distance of the stretch or is the speed with which the tissues are moving a factor as well?

What size of a stretch cavity would it take (without fragmentation) to exceed the limits of lung tissue or muscle tissue?

Do the blunt trauma effects from the stretch cavity add any problems or complications to a wound or are they insignificant?
    These questions are all largely dependant upon how resistant a particular type of tissue is to the brisant effect created by the passage of the projectile through that tissue type.

Without knowing what type of tissue is involved, the velocity and other qualitative characteristics of the bullet involved, it is hard to ascertain whether or not the tissue's elastic limit will be exceeded and just how much trauma would be induced.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 500grains View Post
    I like the overlays, but if you look at guys who have been shot in the head, some of them actually have their brain laying 8 feet away. There was a suicide here some years ago in which a fellow sat on a couch in his basement, but the butt of a shotgun on the floor and the barrel in his mouth, and pulled the trigger. The couch was next to the basement stairs which had a wall on the other side, and the door from the basement to upstairs was open. The man's brain was found in the first floor just through the door. There was a red smudge on the wall by the staircase, and flecks and spatters all over the basement. Apparently the pressure of the trapped expanding gas pushed the brain fast enough that it bounced off the wall and landed on the first floor.
    I'm not the ballistics expert (see Dr. Roberts for this). I've been an inter-city LEO for the last 18 years. Over the years, I have seen a few suicides by kissing the barrel of a shotgun. The last one, the brains were sitting on the floor. While I'm not a doctor, they appeared to be in tact. The gases from the round going into the head is causing this.

If you are old enough to remember, there was an actor (late 1980's?) who was playing around on set with a 44 mag revolver loaded with blanks. He found out the hard way about the gas danger when he put the gun to his head and pulled the trigger. The series was instantly cancelled...

When going through boot camp at Paris Island, there was an issue with a rattle snake wanting to share a foxhole with a recruit, in the training area. I observed a Drill Instructor remove the blank adaptor from an M16 and dispatch the snake with a head shot from a blank round. Very educational experience (not to mention, I checked for snakes the rest of the day).
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 08-22-10 at 14:16.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    there was an actor
    I'll take B actors for $100 Alex.

Who was Jon-Eric Hexum?

We used to kill rats and poisonous snakes with M16 blanks and no BFA when we were out of field problems. You could kill rats and mice out to a good 8-10'

Feedback Score
    I'll word my original post a little differently.

(1) FMJ round fired from an M1 Garand. Bullet is yawed to 90 degrees as it passes through a lung. With the permanent cavity and the stretching of the temporary cavity, what would be the most damage to the lung that might occur? Just a .30 caliber hole or more extensive (like entire lung turned to jelly)?

(2) FMJ round fired from an M1 Garand. Bullet is yawed to 90 degrees as it passes through muscle. With the permanent cavity and the stretching of the temporary cavity, what would be the most damage to the muscle that might occur? Just a .30 caliber hole or more extensive (fist sized area of pulped nonviable muscle)?

I know it is highly variable, but what would be an approximate result?
    Last edited by ramsfan69; 01-05-11 at 18:00. Reason: More specific

Feedback Score

(1) FMJ round fired from an M1 Garand. Bullet is yawed to 90 degrees as it passes through a lung. With the permanent cavity and the stretching of the temporary cavity, what would be the most damage to the lung that might occur? Just a .30 caliber hole or more extensive (like entire lung turned to jelly)?

(2) FMJ round fired from an M1 Garand. Bullet is yawed to 90 degrees as it passes through muscle. With the permanent cavity and the stretching of the temporary cavity, what would be the most damage to the muscle that might occur? Just a .30 caliber hole or more extensive (fist sized area of pulped nonviable muscle)?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsfan69 View Post

A hole would appear, followed by some bleeding, some other guy yelling "Medic!", while a third guy calls the first guy an idiot for playing with a loaded garand in the barracks. Likely, over time, pain would form in the victim, the shooter would be court martialed, and there may or may not be surgery involved.

</smartass>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12