Thread: Hunting Rifle in .308

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

Hunting Rifle in .308

I am in the process of changing over all my rifles to the AR type.

I have a MWS on order but I think it is going to be heavier than what I would like for use as a hunting rifle.

What is out there that is of a fairly light weight that would be good for use as a hunting rifle?

This rifle would be hunting ONLY (chiefly whitetail with an eventual trip to Wyoming with a friend for elk), no tactical classes, no defensive use.

Anything out there that is lighter than the MWS that would be suitable?

For comparisons sake, my current hunting rifle is a Browning Abolt 30-06 with a 2-7X33 Leupold VXII.

I plan on selling this rifle (and it's backup) and using the scope on the new rifle.

Any leads?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    i'm not sure any AR platform in 308 that is light...i would much rather have the bolt gun if my hunting application involved and significant amount of walking.

If you are a stand hunter, then most any would do for me...i have killed several whitetails with an armalite.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    DPMS offers a relatively lightweight gun with an 18" barrel and a carbon float tube. They list it as a hair under 8 lbs:

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=5296

Feedback Score
    That carbon free float tube may be light, but I wouldnt be making many repeated rapid shots with it on. If your not going to make repeated rapid shots with your rifle than why get a semi auto. The only reason I say this it looks like that tube has no way of venting heat other than through the front. Never fired this rifle so I may be wrong, may be the carbon fiber is good at drawing heat out or something and thats why it doesnt need vent holes.
    Last edited by OTO27; 08-21-10 at 13:12.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

The LMT would probably be about in this weight class, and to be honest, with a good sling, it's not bad. The VCAS padded is perfect in my mind.

I could have also saved weight by going with a CTR, a shorter rail, aluminum rings, and a smaller 10x scope.

The MWS will be able to utilize the lighter polymer mags too. I would venture that you won't even notice it for whitetail, and the sling will carry the weight when you go for elk, mule deer, or antelope.
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Anyone have/shoot the Remington R-25?

I know it is a DPMS but I like it because it says it is only 8 lbs which is not too heavy and it doesn't have a muzzle brake which is an absolute for me. I don't do muzzle brakes.

I will definitely wait, however, until I get my MWS, I'll set it up and take it on a couple of scouting trips and see how much of a hassle it is to carry. If it isn't bad, I'll just stick with it.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Well, the ArmaLite lists itself at 8.25lbs or something, I think. The second you drop on a sling, the rings, and an optic, and a mag full of ammo, you get up to 10lbs really fast.

R-25 looks nice for a hunting gun, but I think the DPMS branded version is a little cheaper. Since it doesn't have the camo and such...at least that's what I've noticed in shops that carry both out west.
    Last edited by SHIVAN; 08-22-10 at 11:36.
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."

Feedback Score
    I'll bet this is a shooter: http://www.ar15performance.com/its_1...8_class_uppers

"These are not typical 308 uppers that have been lightened, they are redesigned from the start to be a lightweight hunter with a new billet upper, new carrier, new bolt and barrel extension. Complete rifles should range from 7-8 lbs without optics."
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge