Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Noveske 6.5 Grendel SPR

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrox
    Sure, contour and chamber. But when the 6.5 Grendel chamber is property of AA all that leaves is countour...which can be anything a customer wants. There for, it makes sense just to send a PacNor blank to AA if poly rifling is the criteria.

ETA: Of course the similarities stop at the blank, PacNor sells Noveske Blanks and then Noveske turns them into functioning barrels.
    Noveske does more things to his barrels than just the obvious things. I also know that a customer called Pac Nor to get a Poly barrel contoured to his specs and he said that it was VERY difficult.

C4

Feedback Score
    Like what? He has proprietary chambers and profiles. What's left? Hand lapping, crown, and cryo? It is a barrel, not voodoo.

I haven't ever heard of any more features and would assume that based on the level of marketing of Noveske products anything else would be made public.

Either way, as of right now 6.5 Grendel is property of AA. If someone wants a Poly rifled Grendel then they need to send a PacNor blank to AA.

Feedback Score
    Like what? He has proprietary chambers and profiles. What's left? Hand lapping, crown, and cryo? It is a barrel, not voodoo.

I haven't ever heard of any more features and would assume that based on the level of marketing of Noveske products anything else would be made public.

Either way, as of right now 6.5 Grendel is property of AA. If someone wants a Poly rifled Grendel then they need to send a PacNor blank to AA.
    You realize that because it is proprietary that also means that Bill Alexander has the option of licensing the rights to the reamers. What makes you so sure that he would be unwilling to do that with such a respected barrel maker?

Stephen

Feedback Score
    I am very happy to be in communication with Grant with respect to this project, and I forsee no problems with getting it running (appologies to Grant for being slow to reply to his e-mails).

To tidy up the speculation concerning how this would be done, I would simply sign off reamers for Grant/Noveske to use. A good barrel maker will always match the pilot to the barrel he is chambering, but more importantly he will match the flute load and surface speeds to the barrel steel and rifling patern he is cutting to avoid vibration, I have even seen some of the best makers regrind the reamer with a different relief angle. Noveske knows their barrels best so cutting the chamber will rest with them.

Barrels are voodoo. In consideration of lapping a barrel, you can not only consider the surface finish but also how the finish was brought to that level (grain direction of the lap marks and the condition of edges of those marks, usually a consideration of the media), the bore taper, how the land edges are worked, lapped after chambering or before, throat dressing, these are but a few of the considerations. Again different steels and different rifling profiles change everything.

Bill Alexander

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Alexander
    I am very happy to be in communication with Grant with respect to this project, and I forsee no problems with getting it running (appologies to Grant for being slow to reply to his e-mails).

To tidy up the speculation concerning how this would be done, I would simply sign off reamers for Grant/Noveske to use. A good barrel maker will always match the pilot to the barrel he is chambering, but more importantly he will match the flute load and surface speeds to the barrel steel and rifling patern he is cutting to avoid vibration, I have even seen some of the best makers regrind the reamer with a different relief angle. Noveske knows their barrels best so cutting the chamber will rest with them.

Barrels are voodoo. In consideration of lapping a barrel, you can not only consider the surface finish but also how the finish was brought to that level (grain direction of the lap marks and the condition of edges of those marks, usually a consideration of the media), the bore taper, how the land edges are worked, lapped after chambering or before, throat dressing, these are but a few of the considerations. Again different steels and different rifling profiles change everything.

Bill Alexander
    Thanks for the info Bill.

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Sorry, I do not share companies industry sectrets. As Bill A. pointed out, making barrels is voodoo (an art form if you will). The public doesn't need to know everything about every product.

C4

Feedback Score
    This is very exciting news. I always need more ways to spend my $!

Anytime two good ventures can come together to get something like this to market is a good thing.

My thanks to all involved to make this happen!

Feedback Score
    This is great news. I have been assembling parts for my next build and was planning a 6.x SPR-type rifle. I think 6.5 is better suited to my needs but wanted to use a Noveske barrel.

Feedback Score
    Glad to have you onboard Bill! Now, if you'd just be around your damned phone more often
    Save the Pandas!

-Tally Fortenberry
    -Capco Small Arms Research Group

Feedback Score
    [cartman] F'in SWEET! [cartman/]

I'm diggin a 16-18" light-medium contour 6.5G Recce type rifle. I hope everything can be worked out between the parties.

Bill is a true asset to this site. A gentleman and a straight-shooter (in the figurative sense).
    "If I didn't know you, I'd probably go get something and kill you with it." yeabillieboa

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast