Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Blood type patches?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    What an informative post. Without the military, I don't believe I would have ever found out on my own what my blood type is, and now you guys are saying that even what was stamped into my tags could have been wrong?

I'm LE now, and I wrote my blood type on my soft armor in black marker, though I didn't think that here in the US where resources and higher level medical facilities should be close at hand first responders would go on something like that either.

I'm also A POS.
    Last edited by CGSteve; 09-03-10 at 14:23.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CGSteve View Post
    What an informative post. Without the military, I don't believe I would have ever found out on my own what my blood type is, and now you guys are saying that even what was stamped into my tags could have been wrong?

I'm LE now, and I wrote my blood type on my soft armor in black marker, though I didn't think that here in the US where resources and higher level medical facilities should be close at hand first responders would go on something like that either.

I'm also A POS.
    Correct. NO US hospital would ever give you type-specific blood based on something that you had on your dog tags, velcro'd to your pack, magic marker'd on your armor, or tattooed on your forehead. And NO civilian US EMS service carries blood or blood products on their ambulances anyway, so blood administration by a first responder would never happen.

My original question was whether or not such a thing could happen in the military. I am relieved to find out that, with the possible exception of some very special circumstances, the military wouldn't do it either.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    I'm curious. I see blood type patches for attachment to MOLLE gear, hats shirts, etc. all over the range and in LEO training courses, and I dont understand the purpose of the patches.

In the military, would they really transfuse type-specific blood entirely based on a Velcro patch on the back of somebody's gear or clothing? That would never happen in a civilian medical setting, including law enforcement, I'm surprised the military would go for it.
    We never look at 'em. At my Combat Support Hospital, everyone gets a Type & Screen. I can't think of a single reason as to why anybody in CONUS America, or Iraq or Afghanistan needs to have their blood type on anything. Every Hospital will run a Type & Screen regardless of Dog Tags, Sharpie Boots, Velcro Tabs or Tattoos (I've seen it)
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition;
    And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
    Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
    And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
    That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    blood-type patches are on par with CCW "badges."

as somebody else said- if it wasn't for Blackhawk Down, this never would have happened. we've all observed what happens- a popular movie or videogame will reveal some special-operations idiosyncrasy (real or not), and it pretty much immediately starts popping up on the range, in soldier's footlockers, and at gunshows.

recoiling from pretense and affectation, i cant ****ing stand them. as stated, they're 100% for appearance.. aside from situations Ninja presented, NOBODY is going to trust a velcro patch on your shoulder, nor even see it, before your shirt is cut off and thrown in the trash.

"this guy is losing a lot of blood- we'd better type him, STAT. wait! by job, i've got something! he's wearing a blood-type patch! put that needle away!"
    Last edited by bkb0000; 12-04-10 at 09:23.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123