Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: IPSC First Timer with Video

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackscot View Post
    I always thought the round-catching thing was a little silly. I just let it fly, but to each their own.

As for placing one's hand over the ejection port, I've heard horror stories for many years originating from that practice. You never sweep your hand with the muzzle, right? Well, the breech is the other end of that same, potentially violent space -- best kept at a distance by grabbing the serrations from behind the slide.
    While I've never seen someone shoot themselves in the hand, I've seen the end result of that mistake no less than 5 times, in person.

This exploding bullet business I've never even heard of anywhere but on the internut and even then not seen any pictures of the aftermath.

In the former case therefore in my mind it's a very real potential problem, and in fact the gun is then doing exactly what it is supposed to be doing, while in the latter it's at best a malfunction and a fantasy malfunction based on my prior experience at that.

shooting is an inherently dangerous activity. We have to minimize that danger wherever we can, but we also have to balance that with the fact that we are taking a risk every time we pull the trigger, or even pick up a gun.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Extractor igniting primer!?

I have never heard of such a thing.. And I usually unload the same way that Rob described...

Not sure what to think of this one. If the slide slammed foreward on a round that was half out, then maybe. I don't see this scenario as being very plausible. But, that's just me. I mean... If you saw it happen, then you saw it happen but... ???

Anyway.. for the match I'll just let the 10 cent round land in the gravel.

Feedback Score
    Actually it's the ejector igniting the primer. It happens mostly on long loaded 40 S&W. Ask me how I know. Not a friend's gun or heard from a guy. Happened to me while unloading and showing clear and NOT doing the rack & flip thingy.

Just a regular unloading of the gun. Cleaning the gun the night before, I noted that the extractor seemed a little loose but since the gun was running flawlessly at that day's practice, no need to adjust.

Next day at the match, first stage...kaboom. I caught a little brass on my index finger (on the side of the pistol out of the trigger guard) and then a face full of burned powder. Bullet went down the barrel.

Found out later that it happens mostly with long loaded 40. Go figure.

That said...none of this has anything to do with what the OP was talking/asking about.

Rich

ETA: It's not a "USPSA Thing" that the RO catches the round. We're there anyways and if the round is ejected 'far enough' it's there and easily caught. FWIW, it's NOT the RO's job in USPSA to confirm that the gun is clear. It's the competitor's responsibility. IPSC though it's reversed. International shooters are apparently incapable of this responsibility.
    Last edited by uscbigdawg; 08-20-10 at 17:27.
    "Pressure is what you feel when you don't know what you're doing." - Chuck Knox

For those that say USPSA/IPSC/3-Gun isn't tactical...speed is a tactic!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by uscbigdawg View Post
    FWIW, it's NOT the RO's job in USPSA to confirm that the gun is clear. It's the competitor's responsibility. IPSC though it's reversed. International shooters are apparently incapable of this responsibility.
    That is 100% correct. Even in my Intro to IDPA class, I teach that it is the shooters responsibility to know that his weapon is clear. The SO/RO is just there to assist. The RO is not the one who will be getting DQed for a shot fired at ULSC, it will be the shooter.

At my last carbine match, I was running a new shooter through the unload and show clear for both his pistol and carbine. In the process, the peanut gallery started discussing his procedural penalty. The shooter stopped, turned his head and started talking to the spectators. After 3 polite commands to unload and show clear with no response, I had to give him the drill sergeant voice at which he finally complied.

The other big issue I see is shooters who don't holster but chase dropped rounds and mags with the gun still in their hand.

OP, don't do that.

As far as ejected rounds, just roll the gun so the ejection port is down and rack it. The round drops at your feet. As an RO, I'm looking at the gun until it's in your holster and you take your hand off it, I'm not catching your round.

Gringop

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I just got the list of stages for the match....

It is going to be one hell of a time!!! Should be lots of fun!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

First IPSC Match - Video

Well I just got Finished shooting my first match... and it was amazing. I can't wait to do it again!

Video of my first few stages: The old man that you can hear in the video was THE man.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7qbHKnit54

The day started out at 6:00 when I woke up to look out the window at thunderstorms. So, I headed off to the match anyway. When I got there (an hour early) it was still raining. I met the ROs, got briefed on the rules and safety regs of the range, and walked the courses.

I started off running slow and deliberate and slowly worked up my speed while trying to maintain my accuracy. I did very well on several of the more complicated courses later on in the day, but due to the rain and my father forgetting to film a couple.... No vid of those....

I did fairly well. I think that I placed somewhere in the middle of the field. It was an extremely fun and eye opening time. Thanks all that gave me some tips before hand! Please comment!

Matt

_______________________________________________-

EDIT: Just got my scores! Scored 9th out of 10 overall...

However in the El Presidente I placed 4th and scored the Following: (Is that pathetic? How does this compare with other shooters?)

Place - 4
    Division - Production
    Points - 52
    Penalties - 0
    Time - 12.77
    Hit Factor - 4.0720
    Stage Pts - 32.5903
    Stage% - 54.32
    Last edited by 556mp; 08-22-10 at 21:10. Reason: Scores

Feedback Score
    Thanks for coming back and reporting! Very glad to hear that you had a good time and will be going back...

Video looked great man... you were deliberate and aware. The first match is more about being safe than anything else, but it sounds like you finished very good for your first time... congrats.

Forgot to add a comment about your El Prez run - 52pts / 12.77 ... very respectable. The shooters at the very top of the sport, with production guns, are/can run this stage in high 4's to low 5' second range (match runs not practice day feats)... I have a few vids on my youtube page with a few classifer runs... I think one is Neuvo El Prez which has hostage cover over the targets but it's essentially the same classifer... I ran that one in 5.22 with 52pts...

But, given this is your first match you did outstanding! Once you shoot 3 more matches you will have 4 classifiers on file and should get your USPSA Production classification. If you haven't joined yet, I'd suggest you think about it....
    Last edited by Bryan W; 08-22-10 at 21:25.

Feedback Score
    Here's one of my vids with 3 classifier runs ... the 2nd stage in this video is Nuevo El Prez which is the one I was posting about earlier... It's a little more difficult that the 3 wide open targets but the shots are the same..same distance, etc.,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E48BCzpj1tU

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Very cool. great vid

If I was wanting to get into IPSC on a serious level.. which I think I do... how would I go about getting classified and competing on a regional and national level? Obviously after much practice.

Feedback Score
    Well you've already taken the first step by finding a local club... do a search in your area and find all the local USPSA clubs that are within a reasonable driving distance and figure out their match schedule. All clubs do atleast one special classifier match a year... You might email the club president or club contact from your match this weekend and ask them if/when they will be doing another special classifier match. If not, then you will just need to hit 3 more monthly club matches because it takes 4 classifier stages on file with USPSA to get your initial classification -

Join USPSA so your classifers count - here is the website..

http://www.uspsa.org/

Also check out the Brian Enos' forum - everything you need to know about USPSA can be found on this forum...

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast