Thread: Question about crack on my MWS upper

Feedback Score

Question about crack on my MWS upper

As I wait for my barrel to return from LMT I have too much time on my hands to fondle the rest of the weapon. While examining the design of the weapon I began to pay real close attention to the barrel capture are, just below the gas port tunnel which houses the gas tube. While looking through the notch on the bottom of the receiver (between the two bolts) I came across what appeared to be a scratch on the face of the barrel capture recess. I put my NDI (non destructive inspections) skills and soon found out it was a small crack. This is how I determined it was actually cracked.
    1st. I blasted the area with powder blast, removing all traces of oil/lube.

2. due to the location of the scratch/crack being only visible on one side of the weapon ( from the bottom) I dint know if it when all the way to the other side (gas tube tunnel hole). So I placed 3 drops of oil through that hole.

3. waited about 3 minutes, the oil immediately began to puddle around the scratch, which confirms its deep enough to go from the inside of the barrel capture area(thin side) to the gas tube tunnel.

the gas tube port area in the receiver is scary thin and close to the barrel capture area, look at it from the front of the gun with barrel removed obviously. I almost wonder if there are more out there with this issue. So my request to you all besides some sound advice is to take your barrels off and check that area out. Here are some pictures of what it looks like and what you should be looking for:

Heres a pic of the crack are free of lube/oils:

Heres a pic of the crack after oil was aplied on the other side via the gas tube tunnel, you can see the puddle building up,indicating it goes all the way through:

It seems like I have had nothing but bad luck with my MWS, first the nick on my barrel feed ramp, and now this. I need you guys advice, do you think this is even an issue? I think I am already on LMT's bad side, since I am making them give me a new barrel for a small issue, so I am hesitant to call them.
    Last edited by OTO27; 08-19-10 at 00:59.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Definitely could be a crack... and I wouldn't hesitate to give LMT a call. It's a new gun and they'll make it right.

Just because the oil puddles up there doesn't make me think it's DEFINITELY a crack. Couldn't it be a deep scratch, and gravity is working it's magic?

Can you shine a light through it and see light on the other side?

This post probably isn't too helpful, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in shortly. Again, please don't hesitate to call LMT. Remember, YOU are the customer!
    Last edited by liaisons; 08-19-10 at 01:27.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I am afraid to say much. But if you lost confidence at this point, it would be understandable.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Yep, its totally screwed...as your NDI (Non Destructive Inspections) Skills clearly point that out. Imagine what would have happened if you had sent an actual round down the tube of that gun

eta....before the third post gets started about the small nic in the first pic on the top, right corner...yes, it too is a big problem and should immediately be addressed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As per forum rules, this issue should be taken up with LMT directly ASAP.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Call LMT and see what they think. Its probably not an issue right now, but could become one down the road, especially if it affects the lockup of the barrel to the upper.

Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    Yep, its totally screwed...

eta....before the third post gets started about the small nic in the first pic on the top, right corner...yes, it too is a big problem and should immediately be addressed.
    You need to take some Prozac or something before Belmont comes and rips you a new one. If you don't have anything positive to contribute, please stop posting.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by spamsammich View Post
    As per forum rules, this issue should be taken up with LMT directly ASAP.
    Winner!! LMT is available during pretty standard business hours. Give them a call and let me know when you have gotten them to take a look at the upper, and have offered a resolution. I will open this thread up for an update after LMT has had a chance to inspect the upper and remedy the situation.
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."