Thread: Quick cleaning question

Feedback Score

Quick cleaning question

This may be a dumb question but here I go anyways. I have a dewey coated rod that I use for my AR's(223). Will this rod work for my MWS 308 so long as I use a 30 cal jag of course? I hate to shell out the cash for another rod, but if I have to I guess I have no choice.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Considering the MWS has the unique feature of such easy and fast barrel changes, why not take advantage of it......I simply remove the barrel when done at the range...put the bcg and ch in a strainer submerged in a cleaning solution.....take mpro7 and squirt down the bore and all around in the chamber and throat, letting it sit for a few minutes...then I simply make several passes with both the chamber brush and the bore snake...lastly I wring out the boresnake and make several more passes through the barrel but this time I just add a small amt. of CLP on the loop or rear of the string.

Get your money's worth outta the system and use it to the fullest

Feedback Score
    I have several bore snakes that I use soley for field work. I am not a big fan the boresnake when it comes for detailed cleaning. Even regularly washing the bore snake theres just to much surface area on it for dir and grime to collect. Guess were all that dirt and grime is rubbing against the more passes you make with it...Not bashing the snake, hey I keep one inside my pistol grip, but in the comfort of my home on a table a patch and jag seem to do an excellent job.

I am not sure if using a smaller caliber rod would do anything detrimental, I figured it wouldnt, but better safe than sorry. Any one have any answers?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If you pull the snake straight out of the barrel and not angle it you will not hurt the crown in the least. Unless you have the 16" SST or the 18" 5R SS than you have a CL 16" that is for hard use and after all its in a battle rifle not a bench comp shooter. Its a forgone conclusion that if you effectively use your ARs, they will become dirty and get a few dings...just like a car never stays new.

Feedback Score
    I am not really worried about damage to the crown since theres a flash hider there. It is easier to see your results when you jab a patch through a jag and that white patch comes out still white. You know you are done then.

Any ways this thread was not intended as a Jagg VS (insert method here). I have a simple question that hasnt been answered yet.

Can I use my .223 rod on my .308 as long as I have a 30 cal jag? Will it warp the rod to much because of all the clearance inside the barrel or will it not be stable enough to keep the jagg aligned? these are few of my concers and thats why I asked before doing it.
    Last edited by OTO27; 08-23-10 at 14:42.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ok, you are good using the .223 rod on the .308. Just make sure you are pulling from chamber to muzzel and not trying to push the patch down the barrel.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by telecustom View Post
    Ok, you are good using the .223 rod on the .308. Just make sure you are pulling from chamber to muzzel and not trying to push the patch down the barrel.
    Will I be ok using a bore guide and pushing a jag with patch from the chamber with the 223 rod?