Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is 7.62x39 ever a better choice than .308?

Feedback Score

Is 7.62x39 ever a better choice than .308?

Unless the gun has to be an AK.

I'm trying to talk myself out of buying a rifle in 7.62x39. I've already got .308 & .223 rifles.

Part of the issue is NOT using junk, steel-cased ammo. Brass only.

.308 is heavy, typically with fewer rounds in a magazine, and expensive.

Quality 7.62x39 has the same issues, plus far less bullet selection, wind resistance, and range.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    No it isn't, both commercially and if you're making it yourself.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I bought a Ruger American Ranch in x39 as well as Mini-30. For the lulz. They're neat rifles, but not better than 308 in really any way.

And if you're not already sitting on a 10K round stash, they make even less sense...

Edited to add:
    Sometimes I buy shit just because I like guns. Not everything has to be "useful for" or "better than" for me to be interested. If you want a rifle in x39, then buy it. If it catches your interest and having it will bring you joy, then who cares how it measures up to 308 or whatever. Life is short...
    Last edited by kerplode; 02-24-24 at 10:51.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    Sometimes I buy shit just because I like guns. Not everything has to be "useful for" or "better than" for me to be interested. If you want a rifle in x39, then buy it. If it catches your interest and having it will bring you joy, then who cares how it measures up to 308 or whatever. Life is short...
    Sounds like me and .300BLK.

Feedback Score
    Isn’t it around 14 inches with a 308 rifle that below that length you might as well just shoot 762X 39 because of the ballistic and powder in efficiencies?
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Okay, the gun I was considering was a stainless Tactical model Mini-30.

Like I said, I have one .308 gun and a 5.56 Mini-14. I spent many years with 7.62 AK's. I'm not so sure I want to get back in to that cartridge. Especially when I have a superior rifle in .308. That's what brought about my question.

When I bought the Mini I only got the 5.56 tactical model because I had the ammo. My remaining 7.62x39 stash is all Russian junk that doesn't work well in Mini-30's.

Well, while researching current Mini's I realized I'd forgotten about the Mini-14 .300.

I don't have any so I'd still have to buy the ammo, but I do reload and have magnum pistol powder the .300 uses. I also have lots of Ruger 5.56 mags so I wouldn't have to buy any more.

Further bonuses is the .300 Mini has a proper shoulder for suppressors / mounts. It's also regulated to run subs with a can and supers without a can. Well, I have a typical .30 back-pressure can already.

Pretty darn tempting. I wish they made it in stainless, though. And with a @12 inch barrel.

Purpose? 200 yd fun gun / 1-50 yd HD gun.

I checked and the accessories I have on the Mini-14 can swap over. (Tech sight, Ultimak rail, light & mount, qd RDS mount & RDS, stocks, & sling)

I understand .300 is even more trajectory and wind challanged than 7.62x39. But feeding and ignition should be more reliable. Far more types of bullets available. And subs are an expensive way to get 9mm fmj performance!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Isn’t it around 14 inches with a 308 rifle that below that length you might as well just shoot 762X 39 because of the ballistic and powder in efficiencies?
    Yes I think you're correct. Might be more like a 14 in 7.62x51 compared to a 20 in 7.62x39 barrel though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    I bought a Ruger American Ranch in x39 as well as Mini-30. For the lulz. They're neat rifles, but not better than 308 in really any way.

And if you're not already sitting on a 10K round stash, they make even less sense...

Edited to add:
    Very good points.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    For 0-50 HD I would choose .300blk over 762 Soviet. I'd choose 7.62 Soviet over 308.

762x39 has far less recoil and typically uses a much lighter platform than 308.

300blk has even further recoil reduction compared to 762x39.

It's not always about making the biggest hole in the bad guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The type of rifle and how it will be used can't be ignored in this decision.....so I can't give an answer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast