Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: MK318 Mod 0 - accuracy evaluation and chronograph data

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I don't know what the Chopping block is, but I'd kick some 87 and 85 gr ammo in to see it in real gel. Like you say.. out of a 10.5 or 11.5 for sure.
    Its a youtube channel. He might be on Full30, as well. Also makes videos for TOS. Anyway, he probably does one of the best jobs of youtube jello-testers as far as doing it the right way, even though he fires a very small sample size.

He’s the dude that made the video about low impact velocities with Gold Dot 62s.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Ok. I never watch gun stuff on the youtube machine. Only music related things. I think Barnes had a factory load for match burners at one point, but I'd love to supply a test clip of them if that was possible.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I still have a boner for those 85 gr Match Burners. I don't get the low interest in a mag length 85 gr OTM that almost any ARs twist rate can handle. I'm still updating that thread.. interest or not.
    Even in light of the lack or recent worthwhile participation since the ownership change, this is one of the best threads going. But I imagine only to those who prefer to roll their own. We can continue this under that thread but I wonder how XBR would perform under that or is too fast for that bullet?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rm06 View Post
    but I wonder how XBR would perform under that or is too fast for that bullet?
    I would think it's just too fast. I always thought XBR was borderline for 77s, and 85 is a pretty big jump up from there.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I’m watching it; I just have no input. Blew my mind that they fit in a mag. I’d kick you a few bucks if we can get Andrew from “The Chopping Block” to launch a few into calibrated gel blocks from a couple different barrels. I’d expect them to thump hard from a Mk18 or 11.5” URGI and still do good out to a couple hundo.

Maybe one day I’ll get into futzing with jello myself.
    I sent Andrew some factory loaded Barnes 5.56 OTM ammo (both 85gr and 69gr) a few years ago. He did gel tests for both loads.

This is the gel test for the 85gr load: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zSO5F3H2G4

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Molon always does a superior job with his reviews -- not pumping sunshine up his ass, but he is both objective and curious. When you're doing this for fun you can be impartial.

Back to page 1, this is a fairly lightweight "Barrier blind" cartridge that groups around 3-inches from good guns (free-floated, high magnification, awesome trigger, solid rest), shot by an experienced precision queer with near-perfect technique.

3-inch groups.

If I take the time to track down those same components and load them myself, what do I gain from 3-inch groups? I rarely find myself shooting through windshields, Fiats, adobe walls, and fences.

If I load my primary (free-float mid-length, optic, Geissele trigger) with some sort of Sierra, Berger, or Nosler match bullet I can put the round exactly where I'm pointing at fair distances. 3-MOA may work for you. If I'm OK with 3-MOA I'm shooting 55-grain Hornady Ball bullets, much cheaper.

I'm not saying not to buy it, shoot it, and enjoy it -- I'm saying for me the math isn't worth the squeeze.

Hornady used to make an 82-grain magazine length match bullet you could only buy through Fin, Feather, and Fur on Commercial Row at the National Matches at Camp Perry. They were available for five years, but I've never heard of anybody using (or winning) with them.
    Mk318 has always been a 1.8-2.2moa round for me using 4x scope and a gov profile chf chrome lined barrel.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ClearedHot View Post
    I sent Andrew some factory loaded Barnes 5.56 OTM ammo (both 85gr and 69gr) a few years ago. He did gel tests for both loads.

This is the gel test for the 85gr load: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zSO5F3H2G4
    Interesting, thanks. It did pretty well, but I can’t help but notice that he said it doesn’t fit in a mag.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Interesting, thanks. It did pretty well, but I can’t help but notice that he said it doesn’t fit in a mag.
    Yeah. Even the pic in his video is that of a mag length round.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    If I take the time to track down those same components and load them myself, what do I gain from 3-inch groups? I rarely find myself shooting through windshields, Fiats, adobe walls, and fences.

If I load my primary (free-float mid-length, optic, Geissele trigger) with some sort of Sierra, Berger, or Nosler match bullet I can put the round exactly where I'm pointing at fair distances. 3-MOA may work for you. If I'm OK with 3-MOA I'm shooting 55-grain Hornady Ball bullets, much cheaper.

I'm not saying not to buy it, shoot it, and enjoy it -- I'm saying for me the math isn't worth the squeeze.
    This is broadly where I'm at with that - when I was finding Mk318 for cheap enough I could overlook that, job done. When it starts getting expensive, and particularly since I'd rather have more precision capability, I'm going to run a different bullet period.

On stale information I'd still just default to trying to roll my own 70gr TTSX in this space, but I'm a bit surprised there aren't more factoring loadings floating around. I even still have a bunch of random 75gr Hornady that is still cheaper than anything I'd be able to replace that with right now.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910