Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New to the AR? Need help with your first purchase? READ HERE FIRST!!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Sell the Beretta for more than $500. Like with a car, the dealer has to make money when he resells the trade in and has to make money selling you the new one. He makes money twice, you lose twice.

Of the ARs you listed the choice is easy. Go with the Colt

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I sold my C4 for $500 and have regretted it. Fun one to have and a good way to send 9mm 100yds. Some folks hate the look. Cleaning never presented too much of an issue.

Regarding your AR choices. I own 5 Bushmasters and no real issues. I'm a paper killing civilian. However, it's better to cry once than cry twice. I have since over the last 5-6 years done a ton of research shooting and wondering around this forum and others. Of yours listed I would go Colt.

Not bashing Bushy just saying if I could do it over I would probably go big. I'm a DDefense fan. Back to the C4 though I bought it used for $450 and someone lost big on that deal.

Feedback Score
    i looked on gun broker and the prices on used cx4's are really low. do you really think its a bad swing, the difference in price would be 600 + fees for the new colt

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Hijack

Hey guys, I don't want to accuse any body of highjacking my thread, but what does a Beretta 9mm have to do with it?
    I still need to know that to look for/avoid in a lower.
    Last edited by hals1; 08-23-10 at 21:58.

Feedback Score
    my 1st AR was/is a bushy M4, great little gun.

i like it alot.

does everything i want it to do,

but ? heck ? my rockriver is good also, so is my dpms.... shuck's they all are good !!

peabody
    i started this life with nothing.....kept most of it.

Feedback Score

Warranty

Unfortunately Ive spent a number of years working with warranties in the motorcycle business,and its difficult on both ends to say the least.
    That said yall gota remember that a manufacturers warranty only covers manufacturers defects in most cases and is not a service or repair contract.So the warranty does not cover wear and tear or broken parts from normal use.That said some manufacturers replace parts regardless of use.Just depends on the individual your talking to or the company your dealing with really.
    In my experience any manufacturer worth their salt will take care of a early parts failure or manufacturing defect regarless of expressed or implied warranty or age of the weapon....and in the case of DD and BCM that is not a concern...they stand behind the stuff they sell 100%.LMT is the same way.Top notch folks all around.
    The key is to buy "known quality" parts and assemblies that have a reputation for heavy use durability.If you do that you reduce the failure rate and insure that the weapon retains a respectable service life.But hey nothing lasts forever,when its worn out its worn out and time to buy another.
    HTH
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Armed Protective Services II

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hals1 View Post
    Hey guys, I don't want to accuse any body of highjacking my thread, but what does a Beretta 9mm have to do with it?
    I still need to know that to look for/avoid in a lower.
    These days you can buy from just about any vendor without too much concern. Personally I avoid the lesser-known, local gun show, type guys but truthfully they're probably getting their lowers from the same people as everyone else. As it's been explained to me there are only a few forges capable of making lower blanks and so most lowers start out life in the same few places. From there the machining does make a difference, but it's an incremental difference.

My two favorite lowers on the market right now are the Sully and the Daniel Defense. Both have a more aggressive bevel at the magwell which I like but can't really say has any tangible benefit.

Buy from any established brand and you'll be fine. Buy from the local guy with his own logo on the gun at the gunshow and it's a crapshoot.

Feedback Score
    A couple of names have been thrown at me lately: POF (Patriot Ordnance(?) Firearms) and Spike.

I checked the M4 chart and neither name was mentioned.

My local dealer is really pushing the POF piston AR. Supposedly they claim reliability equal to an AK.

The Spike AR was written up in a recent issue of SWAT.

Other than that I can't find much info on either rifle.

Good choices or range toys? Can anyone shed some light on these?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The Chart is a comparison of commercially made M4-pattern carbines. Piston-operated ARs are not included.

POF are, IMHO, not the best choice if you must have a piston.

Spikes sells the M4LE for $800 for the base model. If you are limited by budget, $800 for that gun is a good deal.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Spikes sells the M4LE for $800 for the base model. If you are limited by budget, $800 for that gun is a good deal.

That's what attracted me to them and it also makes me suspicious they must be cutting corners.

Any info on whether they go through the same quality assurances that people like Colt, Daniel Defense, Noveske, or some of the other serious-grade AR's go through?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast