Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: New to the AR? Need help with your first purchase? READ HERE FIRST!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bear22 View Post
    If I am reading The Chart correctly, and comparing it to the comparion of major commercial brands spreadsheet correctly, it seems as though Colt and BCM are the leaders across the board, with BCM edging out Colt due to the lifetime warranty.

Yet folks here prefer DD, Noveske, LMT, and others at times.

Is the reason "feel"? Brand reputation? Corporate service?

Apologies if this question is too basic. I thought it would be better to post here rather than creating a new thread.

i thought the DD'slooked better finish wise

Feedback Score
    A good thing to remember with your first purchase is gun safety rules, here is an informative list on them http://gunivore.com/gun-safety/15-universal-gun-safety-rules/

Feedback Score
    Can you help me in suggesting optimal barrel for my new AR-10 .308 caliber? I want high range and I’m using DPMS Style low profile upper receiver, Forward Assist, Ejection Port Cover, A2 Style Flash Hider, 308 light profile free float handguard, 308 Bolt Carrier Group, 308 Charging Handle.

Feedback Score
    Want a custom built AR under $1400 as a beginner.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gordonjustus View Post
    Want a custom built AR under $1400 as a beginner.
    No, you don't.

I mean, if it's your only rifle and you don't plan to use for HD, go for it. Build a light, colorful, range toy.

For 1400, go with these few options, especially as a beginner:
    Colt 6920
    BCM Midlength
    BCM in General.
    Hell, even your price range permits some high level factory options of rails and furniture.

Seriously though. Spend 800-900 on a colt, buy an aimpoint/higher end optic, and use the rest of the cash for a class or ammo. Or both. Then, shoot it. A lot.

If I had 1400 laying around for a rifle, I would do that today.

If you want to build a rifle, that's cool, but you won't know what you need out of your rifle for a few thousand rounds out of a basic, out of the box, reliable model.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 09-28-17 at 16:40.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post
    No, you don't.

I mean, if it's your only rifle and you don't plan to use for HD, go for it. Build a light, colorful, range toy.

For 1400, go with these few options, especially as a beginner:
    Colt 6920
    BCM Midlength
    BCM in General.
    Hell, even your price range permits some high level factory options of rails and furniture.

Seriously though. Spend 800-900 on a colt, buy an aimpoint, and use the rest of the cash for a class or ammo. Or both. Then, shoot it. A lot.
    That’s good advice. Follow it. Figure out what you want and need. Start with a good carbine as stated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    Thoughts on building the first and learning the platform? I did for my first and it went smooth. Research and input from people who have been around. You could build a solid rifle on that budget. Even if you had the shop throw the upper parts together for you.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrischoi View Post
    Thoughts on building the first and learning the platform? I did for my first and it went smooth. Research and input from people who have been around. You could build a solid rifle on that budget. Even if you had the shop throw the upper parts together for you.
    But, why? When there's so many options from DD, BCM, Colt, Noveske in that range.

Unless it's for threegun or a cheapo beater, it's not worth building. Expense of factory decent guns outweigh any decent parted together frankengun. Especially if another company assembles it too. Why not just buy an assembled reliable upper?

Just my two cents. And I have built a couple.

Feedback Score
    HELP

New to M4 carbine just received my new Colt LE6920hbpw and wanted to ask a question about Colt , Colts quality control and see if i posted my question in proper area.

I recently bought a new Colt M4 14.5" pinned barrel and it took a year to finally find one and when I picked it up at the FFl i wanted to refuse it. The upper and lower both have visible Machining errors.The safety selector says re and safe ... Were the Fi is supposed to be there is a gouge from the milling machine bit so deep there was no material to machine FI and the upper has a similar gouge on the ejector port. What would you do? i can post pics tom.
    Last edited by TEAMWFO; 05-19-18 at 09:29.

Feedback Score
    Thank you. You are quite a forward-looking person.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345