Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendations on a folding saw

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M4arc View Post
    Will the Gerber handle building a temporary shelter if necessary?
    It's pretty durable, but the Sven, or something like it would be infinitely better for that task.
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Silky saws are awesome performers. They are really in a league of their own.

However, more often than not I use one of my Gerber/Fiskars saws. I have both folding and sliding models. They are light weight, strong, and inexpensive (I have paid as little as $4 shipped for them). I can afford to keep them in the truck or in my hiking pack.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Thanks for bringing this up, M4arc. It reminded me that I need one for my pack, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Von Rheydt View Post
    Jap wood saws are the best, every tree doctor and bushcraft practitioner I know uses them. They are razor sharp and cut on the pull stroke so that you do not deform the blade by bending it with a push stroke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cagemonkey View Post
    Von Rheydt is right. I'm an Arborist and use silky handsaws. Their razor sharp and cut real smooth and fast. You might get a better deal @ http://www.SherrillTree.com
    So, any recommendations for a blade length and tooth size for general camp use/shelter building?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RWK View Post
    So, any recommendations for a blade length and tooth size for general camp use/shelter building?
    http://www.silkysaws.com/Silky_Saws/...mm-Large-Teeth

This one is favoured amongst the more experienced UK bushcrafters that I know. Its also the one I have, it's been used for building shelters and other campcraft. The blade length of around 6 - 7 inches means you can't play lumberjack but, do you need to?

UK arborists that I know all have around two or three that they use for differing tasks and wood types. As professionals they all seem to use the longer fixed blade versions, I thought about buying a fixed blade but decided on compact portability for my ruck instead.

What d'you reckon cagemonkey?
    Last edited by Von Rheydt; 08-25-10 at 14:34.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    For a fixed blade saw I'd go with the Silky Zubat (OAL,18.5") or the Sugoi (OAL,23"). For a folding blade saw I'd go with the Silky Gomboy or Super Accel 210.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I appreciate the input, gents!

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Gerber or the Silky saw. I like the versatility of the Gerber because of the bone saw that can be switched out. If you are going to use it for pure wood cutting then the Silky.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I spent some time with a cool dude this week that imparted a little bit of outdoors survival knowledge upon me. This was one of the topics that we discussed and he suggested that if you can find a Gerber folding saw that has the large teeth on the blade, get it because you can use a chain saw file to resharpen the teeth. He said the folding saws with the small tooth pattern tend to clog and you cannot resharpen.
    Last edited by GLOCKMASTER; 08-27-10 at 18:02.

Feedback Score
    85 (99%)

saw

I have used a folding bucksaw called Fastsaw for years. Lightweight and compact.

Feedback Score
    I use a Silky Sugoi daily 14.5 inches of fast clean cutting goodness. I usually keep a Felco 9.5 incher in my truck as well for tighter/ finer work.

As a tree professional anything with either the Silky or Felco name is worth it's weight in gold.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast