Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: LEO - Anyone else use anything else OTHER than .223 for active shooter?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DMack View Post
    On another note... Imagine you this. You, the off duty LEO / Corrections Officer / CCW / Law Abiding Citizen exercising his or her 2nd Amendment right... are sitting in the Food Court in Anytown America... and some asshat decides to start popping caps in innocents. You, being the red blooded American that you are... decide that you want to engage said bad guy, with your legally carried Desert Eagle. You pump three rounds in to bad guy... and take out the threat.

What in the WORLD is to stop Deputy Schmuckatelli... the responding Mall Deputy... from shooting you, the armed citizen... acting in good faith? How do we identify you... as the GOOD guy, and not the active shooter?

This is what bothers me.
    Thats always been an issue in the past; plenty of off-duty LEOs have been killed over the years due to misidentification. I don't recall seeing too many citizens getting shot by accident in similar situations, but then nationally the CCW trend has been growing for only about 25 years. Still plenty of time in most places for those mistaken shootings to happen if they were going to be a significant issue.

Are you saying that it has particular relevance to the current thread for some reason?

Feedback Score
    My apologies... I did not mean to get the thread off track. It was a thought that came up while typing, for conversation's sake. It's something that we talk about in depth. You are correct that the topic holds no bearing in this thread. I guess my train of thought switched from caliber of choice / use... to tactics and training. That happens way too often for me... again, my apologies.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    SGT Steven McGovern KIA - Iraq 21 APR 05.

A friend, a brother, a true quiet professional. You will NEVER be forgotten.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Mack

We did similar with our A1's. Two have 10.5" uppers from LMT. With the sale aback has it is looking like their 11.5" uppers will be what we get next!
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    The P90...

I'm not an expert on the platform myself, but I have heard that a weakness of the weapon is the length of the magazine and the ability/comfort of carrying extra mags and the ability to draw those magazines from their pouches in any position other than standing up.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    The P90...

I'm not an expert on the platform myself, but I have heard that a weakness of the weapon is the length of the magazine and the ability/comfort of carrying extra mags and the ability to draw those magazines from their pouches in any position other than standing up.
    No, the primary weakness is that it shoots a pathetic excuse for a rifle round.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    We have had a rather robust patrol rifle program for several years. This started out with the SWAT guys being allowed to carry their carbines on patrol.
    Then we expended to a personally owned rifle program (any admin who thinks this ups the "liability" is a total dumbass and deserves to be fired) which has been very successful.

For awhile we also had department rifles stashed in the cars like the shotguns, but common sense eventually won out after a few years, and a few of us selling the zero'd to no one rifles as a bad idea (and broken rifles due to neglect and abuse from non-rifle trained officers, etc., etc.).

Now we issue the department guns to an officer who keeps and maintains that weapon.

I got a rifle program started for our motors also. I figured out a way to get 11.5" guns into the saddlebags they have on the Harleys. Near as I can tell we have one of the more heavily armed motors programs anywhere.

I'm happy with the 5.56 and see very little reason to switch, especially due to the massive costs involved in re-setting a program as large as ours. The 6.8 is very interesting, and the .300 also looks like a good idea when it gets up and running, but, .223 ammo will always be less expensive IMHO.
    Last edited by tpd223; 12-29-10 at 21:34.

Feedback Score
    My agency issues M-16A1's with the auto parts installed. They allow officers to carry their individual rifles in 5.56 or 7.62X51. Authorized rifles are AR variants, Ruger Mini 14, Springfield Armory M1A and HK 91-93.

Yes they pay for the ammo to practice/train. Interestingly we tried to get 6.8 spc approved and got turned down.

They are currently allow Deputies patrolling the desert to carry magnified/variable power optics, otherwise it is basically Aimpoint or Eotech with co-witnessing BUS.

We authorize 1911 handguns also.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345