Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LEO - Anyone else use anything else OTHER than .223 for active shooter?

Feedback Score

LEO - Anyone else use anything else OTHER than .223 for active shooter?

This is meant more for LEO's. Who uses anything else other than .223 AR's for their active shooter situations (for Patrol Officers). This is not really meant towards full time SWAT guys but for regular patrol officers. We have the M16A1's (no full auto) which are old as hell. I was talking to someone else about this a couple weeks ago and then I read an artcile in a magazine, "Police-The Law Enforcement Magazine" and I thought I would put it out there.

The article had a lot of good points. Most of these battles are fairly close so you really dont need something that can reach out a touch ya at 700 yards away. The needs for different departments are always going to be different (city/country enviorment). The article made mention of using a 6.8 spc round. So, what do you have and why? Do you like it or not?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    is the department supplying the ammo? if so, will they supply enough of the more expensive ammo to adequately train? if it's on the officer- same question.

also think of replacement part and magazine availability.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    is the department supplying the ammo? if so, will they supply enough of the more expensive ammo to adequately train? if it's on the officer- same question.

also think of replacement part and magazine availability.
    Yeah - they would supply the ammo - as the more expensive ammo? Depends on how expensive. My Dept recently has become more open to what is being offered, especially after recent events. About the officer - usually the guys who want the better weapons are willing to pay the extra buck...

Im not talking like a .50 cal or a real limited caliber. Weapons discussions are arising in our Dept and I thought I would throw the question out there..

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I use a Stag 6.8SPC for my patrol carbine. We use personally owned carbines, set up within Department guidlines. We buy our own ammunition. I have an identical 5.56 Stag I use as a training gun, with an additional .22LR conversion kit. I shoot 800-1000 6.8, 2,000 - 4,000 5.56, and an additional 3,000 - 4,000 22LR. per year. I also try to attend 2 outside training classes per year.

I have an additional 5.56 set up the same way, so that if off duty I can save time by responding directly to the incident from home with a PC, etc. Perhaps not as much training as some, but it's the most I can squeek out of the budget at this time.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)

Pistol caliber carbines

Well we have a couple of deputies here that decided 5.56 isn't their cup of tea and decided to buy kel-tec carbines in .40 S&W. They even had it approved from the Sheriff. They are sworn officers, but they are the last one's anyone would want to respond to active shooter situation. They typically are assigned to the court for paper service and court services. Personally if that is what they want to use great, it just isn't optimal.
    Never judge a man by his success, judge by how he deals with his failures!- L.E.C.

Some People suck at being Human!- Me

"To keep you is no gain, to destroy you is no loss."- Khmer Rouge

Feedback Score
    I use a 10.5" LWRC M6A1 6.8mm for all my LE functions to include swat. My main duty round is the SSA 85 grain TSX and swat round is the SSA 115 grain OTM. Active shooter is something I constantly think about and war game and my equipment is set up with that and swat in mind.

Feedback Score
    Hmm..Thank you. I am meeting with some of the SWAT guys. This should be an interesting topic
    Last edited by neo9710; 08-26-10 at 15:46.

Feedback Score
    You guys make me jelous, My dept policy is stricktly 5.56 only!, and nothing but Colt and RRA's, I chose Colt for obvious reasons. Heck my dept wont even let me SBR my Colt.

***********************sorry******************************

rant is over
    Last edited by OTO27; 08-26-10 at 18:18.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    As of now we are only using 5.56 for all patrol rifles, dept issues M&P15 but allows personal rifles (a mix of colt, BCM, one RRA and a couple KAC). We are looking into allowing the 6.8 but so far it's not getting much acceptance from the brass. We may have to go to a purchase your own ammo if we are able to get the 6.8 approved.
    Law Enforcement Memorial
    In Valor There Is Hope - Tacitus

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You're going to use what is in the car when the call goes out if you are one of the responding unit.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast