Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LEO - Anyone else use anything else OTHER than .223 for active shooter?

Feedback Score
    Yes. That's why I keep my 6.8 close to hand when at all possible. If I want to be more discrete I keep it in a Noveske concealed backpack.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am quite content with my .223/5.56, and it meets all the needs I am going to ask of my patrol rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by jklaughrey View Post
    Well we have a couple of deputies here that decided 5.56 isn't their cup of tea and decided to buy kel-tec carbines in .40 S&W.
    Not a LE service gun. Better than nothing, but...
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    I would say 308. Which means a LMT MWS.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by voncoz View Post
    Based on what?

I too am satisfied with 223/556. I would like to try a 6.8 in the near future though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by voncoz View Post
    I really want to get one of the new LMS 308 for myself but for duty inside a city, I thought that round was for distance.

With all the budget constraints, I wonder if more agencies will loosen up their policies about officers buying their own weapons. Ours is locked down -you use only what we give you - and its never well thought out. Its usually some high ranking official who basically ignores our swat guys or anyone with real hands on knowledge. Then they rush it out and screw it all up

Feedback Score
    A 16" .308 would be a great active shooter rifle if the shooter was capable. Load it with Hornady 155 grain TAP and many of the overpenetration issues go away. Now getting an Administration to buy off on it is another issue.

Feedback Score
    I use a Colt M4 for patrol rifle, mine was my old SWAT rifle now modified to semi-auto. Most of our patrol rifles are Colt 6920-16" bbl. Our management will not consider the personally owned AR, to them too much liabilites.

As for other calibers like 6.8mm, no, but at one time our old, old chief deployed the Remington 7600 with "Monte Carlo" stock in a 308. Our firearm guys whispered in his ear about over penetration with the 308 rd and then he reverse his decision by allowing the SWAT guys to deploy our then HK rifles.

Remember, it's the chief, command staff, city manager, and city council who will decide your fate because they know more then you.
    Be safe all. This LEO job is dangerous.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BSHNT2015 View Post
    Remember, it's the chief, command staff, city manager, and city council who will decide your fate because they know more then you.
    Be safe all. This LEO job is dangerous.
    You hit it dead center. The hierarchy is now getting a boatload of shit because they are finally realizing that the so called active shooter program and support is a joke. They just wanted a quick fix so they can say that they did something (another liability issue). SO, now they are considering different options.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    At my previous Dept. there were only 12 rifles and the rest of the patrol officers had the issued shotguns. Our rifles were .223 Colts. Our shotguns were Remington 1187's with a 14 inch barrel and the ammo was 1 oz. slugs. The over penetration was brought up numerous times by those of us who hunt and know what a 1 oz slug does. Our concerns were pushed aside.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    One of the smaller departments in Utah offers M1 carbines for the female officers. They used to have M14s in the trunk of every patrol car, but the feds asked for them back so now most of the officers are issued AR15s. They also have a Rem 870 option.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast