Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: LEO - Anyone else use anything else OTHER than .223 for active shooter?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 500grains View Post
    One of the smaller departments in Utah offers M1 carbines for the female officers. They used to have M14s in the trunk of every patrol car, but the feds asked for them back so now most of the officers are issued AR15s. They also have a Rem 870 option.
    why m1cs for females?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    They had several female officers who had a hard time coming up to speed and qualifying with the AR15. So they bought M1 carbines and solved the problem.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    They had several female officers who had a hard time coming up to speed and qualifying with the AR15. So they bought M1 carbines and solved the problem.
    weird.. whats the difference? recoils about the same, but the AR is obviously more accurate and adjustable..

Feedback Score
    Due to popularity, the 5.56/.223 Ar based carbines are most often seen issued to LEOs. I believe this is due to availability of good weapons in thhis caliber, as well as familiarity with the weapons system by officers and instructors. The 5.56 seems to work well in a variety of situations (including active shooter) that a patrol officer would most likely have to respond to. I don't know if any agencies have specific weapons just for active shooter but would say it would be costly and also a training issue to have various weapons for different situations for general patrol (SWAT is different obviously).

I have seen some agencies with 9MM or 40SW carbines but most have since traded them in for 5.56 fo various makes. The pistol caliber weapons really offered nothing except less muzzle blast and a possibly shorter OAL. That is why we got rid of them in 1999. The ones I have seen included the Ruger Patrol Carbine in 40SW, H&K MP5SF in 9MM and 40SW (semi only), and even some of the old Marline camp carbines (haven't seen one since 2001 though).

I would say that other calibers could be used but again, the costs and easy availability of 6.8 or other odd ducks like the Knights 6MM PDW would make it difficult to field and train with.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    We have a mix of department owned surplus A1's and personally owned AR's we are supposed to be getting an M14 a neighboring department is turning in.

I keep trying to talk myself into a 6.8 upper but do not want to deal with the different mags and ammo at this point. If money and avalibility was not an option I would have 6.8's in our cars and officers hands.

Good ammo in 5.56 should do the job and good mags.are very affordable in 5.56.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    We have a mix of department owned surplus A1's and personally owned AR's we are supposed to be getting an M14 a neighboring department is turning in.

I keep trying to talk myself into a 6.8 upper but do not want to deal with the different mags and ammo at this point. If money and avalibility was not an option I would have 6.8's in our cars and officers hands.

Good ammo in 5.56 should do the job and good mags.are very affordable in 5.56.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    Right now we have a limited number of ARs...which we're lucky to have. I fought the battle for a decade to finally get ARs. Prior to that we had Mini 14s issued to supervisors only.

My next issue with our current program revolves around the limited number of rifles...we have rifles assigned to cars, not individual officers. They aren't zeroed to individual officers. My next weapons-related windmill I'm going to tilt after is to pitch to my new boss in January that as a rural agency we need to be able to reach out and touch stuff more than an urban agency might have to. Given that we don't have enough rifles to issue individually, and aren't allowing personally owned weapons, I'm going to propose upgrading some officers to a 7.62 rifle.

We wont be able to buy AR .308 rifles, but I hear that they are still handing out M14s to LE agencies at next-to-nothing cost. The new boss is a pro-gun guy, unlike the last one who only went to rifles after every otehr agency in the county made the transition and left him in the dust. He didn't like to be stood up like that.

One of the smaller departments in Utah offers M1 carbines for the female officers. They used to have M14s in the trunk of every patrol car, but the feds asked for them back so now most of the officers are issued AR15s. They also have a Rem 870 option.
    Thats the first I've heard they are recalling the M14s. There goes my plan. If Clinton hadn't chopped up 700,000 M14s there'd be plenty to go around.

Any of you guys talking about adopting or using the M14, if you have existing policies, lesson plans, etc I'd love to get my hands on copies of whatever you have.
    Last edited by tc556guy; 12-27-10 at 14:47.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tc556guy View Post
    Right now we have a limited number of ARs...which we're lucky to have. I fought the battle for a decade to finally get ARs. Prior to that we had Mini 14s issued to supervisors only.

My next issue with our current program revolves around the limited number of rifles...we have rifles assigned to cars, not individual officers. They aren't zeroed to individual officers. My next weapons-related windmill I'm going to tilt after is to pitch to my new boss in January that as a rural agency we need to be able to reach out and touch stuff more than an urban agency might have to. Given that we don't have enough rifles to issue individually, and aren't allowing personally owned weapons, I'm going to propose upgrading some officers to a 7.62 rifle.

We wont be able to buy AR .308 rifles, but I hear that they are still handing out M14s to LE agencies at next-to-nothing cost. The new boss is a pro-gun guy, unlike the last one who only went to rifles after every otehr agency in the county made the transition and left him in the dust. He didn't like to be stood up like that.

Thats the first I've heard they are recalling the M14s. There goes my plan. If Clinton hadn't chopped up 700,000 M14s there'd be plenty to go around.

Any of you guys talking about adopting or using the M14, if you have existing policies, lesson plans, etc I'd love to get my hands on copies of whatever you have.

The 10-30 program I think is still giving out the M16A1's to agencies - we had to convert ours to single shot. Im in the middle of the same debate..and I think I am making progress...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by neo9710 View Post
    The 10-30 program I think is still giving out the M16A1's to agencies - we had to convert ours to single shot. Im in the middle of the same debate..and I think I am making progress...
    Last I heard the supply of A1s had dried up.

Feedback Score
    I've heard (according to Wikipedia) that a few people are using FN P90's. Anyone got to use these?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast