Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: EMT-B - a couple questions

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    After 9 years in the field as both a Basic and a Paramedic, I am DEFINITELY a proponent of getting experience before taking the Paramedic class. The information taught in P school is WAY above what's taught in B school, and it's based on real-world experience. I'd definitely recommend at least 6 months to a year of experience on an ambulance as a basic before even attempting the Paramedic curriculum.
    A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    We had a couple rookies who as soon as they got off probation went straight to medic school. Here in Vegas we have EMT-Intermediates. They got their EMT-I cert while rookies. The problem is, as a rookie, you are stuck o a truck or engine and get very little medical experience. They were complete train wrecks when they got out of medic school. There just is no substitute for running calls on the street and getting experience. You have to get out there and get I'd say a minimum of 6 months street time.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Newly minted but inexperienced medics will have their best chances in agencies with phased integration through strong field training programs. The problem is that so much of the fire/EMS service is part time or volunteer, both of which are less likely to have strong, well-developed FTO programs. Not to mention supervision, QA, and the like.

Not a swipe at those hard working folks, but it is reality.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Dano5326 Guest
    EMT-B = 3 weeks
    EMT-P = 3-6 months

no shortcuts.. military medics, SOF, may be underwhelmed with the scope of care permitted a civilian Paramedic. Practical primary care is not really covered & invasive procedures most limited. Isolated care beyond 20 minutes not so much in the paradigm of civilian medicine. The civi courses I attended did not have the infrastructure to permit intensive scenario based trauma training, or the line of sick, lame & lazy common to all military installations. A solid Paramedic will be able to sort out the issues but is limited, by the job & scope, to temporal measures.
    Last edited by Dano5326; 09-13-10 at 21:06.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    3-6 months for P school?

Where I come from it takes well over a year.
    A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject.

Dano5326 Guest
    I went a couple times.... once a few months in SD with the firefighters when the command sent me for experience, the cert of course lapsed.. once again when SOCOM decided anyone with a medic qual needed a Paramedic cert UTSA 11weeks, 7 days a week. 8 hrs class, 8 hrs in the rig on weekdays, 12hr in the rig on weekends... brilliant. Leave it to DOD to make something suck beyond reason.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by citizensoldier16 View Post
    3-6 months for P school? Where I come from it takes well over a year.
    There are some short crash-courses available nationwide. They vary in quality and admissions criteria. The better of them require certain levels of experience, certs, recommendations, pre-req coursework, and the results show it.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    A recommendation I can make is start becoming familiar with all your major trade name drugs as well as the generics. Having a solid core of 100 popular prescription and otc drug knowledge will go far in helping you.
    AR15 // Complete :-)
    Remington 870 Express Tactical
    Beretta 92FS

Feedback Score
    Experience is the key. Where I run, basics can get alot of experience (at least a couple of years required for department to pay for it ) just running with the paramedics to prepare for P Class. Basics can ventilate with BVM's, place the leads for the 4 or 12 lead , and just getting a feel for things when doing vitals such as breath sounds

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123