Thread: NY "assault" rifle laws

Feedback Score
    32 (97%)

NY "assault" rifle laws

Can someone give me a quick rundown. My buddy just got back from Iraq and is stationed at FT Drum. He bought an AR off gunbroker, w/o asking for my advice . DPMS lower and Olympic 6.8 upper for $750 and a chinese facog with utg rail I know it's not NY compliant, but I don't know exactly what the laws are and wanna set him straight.

From what he said it has to be transferred to an FFL just to take it into NY from PA I'm assuming the stock has to be pinned, no barrel shrouds, I mean shoulder things that go up. Non flash suppressing comps would have to be welded on right? Is it a 10 round mag limit?

He also didn't look at the price of 6.8 ammo. I'm gonna surprise him with a 5.56 upper for him when I can, maybe a BCM 14.5 middy w/ FSC 556? is there an oal requirement?
    I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. - John Adams

The AK guys are all about the reach around. - Garand Thumb.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    If you get him the 14.5" middy with welded on brake it must also not have the bayonet lug. Overall length will be fine. No collapsible stock. Get him a fixed one. Sully is my favorite but there is an A1, A2, Ace fixed, RRA fixed etc. Any mags over 10 rounds must be preban.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caeser25 View Post
    Can someone give me a quick rundown. My buddy just got back from Iraq and is stationed at FT Drum. He bought an AR off gunbroker, w/o asking for my advice . DPMS lower and Olympic 6.8 upper for $750 and a chinese facog with utg rail I know it's not NY compliant, but I don't know exactly what the laws are and wanna set him straight.

From what he said it has to be transferred to an FFL just to take it into NY from PA I'm assuming the stock has to be pinned, no barrel shrouds, I mean shoulder things that go up. Non flash suppressing comps would have to be welded on right? Is it a 10 round mag limit?

He also didn't look at the price of 6.8 ammo. I'm gonna surprise him with a 5.56 upper for him when I can, maybe a BCM 14.5 middy w/ FSC 556? is there an oal requirement?
    Hey,,well good news & bad news,,LOL,bad news he bought a DPMS & Oly combo ,even though more expensive,,the 6.8 is a awesome round,,thats the good news ! My Son-In-Law was @ FT Drum (10th MTN,,2-87th,Catamounts) & I know there is good Deer Hunting up there,,even on Post from what he said,,so the 6.8 would be great for that !!!
    Now, I'm no expert,,but if he took delivery in PA,,,I don't believe he would need to send it to a FFL to get it into NY ! Worse case,,tell him to take the thing apart and keep the Upper & Lower separate,,take off the Collapsible stock,,grind off the ears on the Bano-Lug,,etc,or even knock out the taper pins and pull the front site/gas block/bano lug off,none of it is that hard !!! I'm pretty sure that as long as its apart,,even if it has the FH on the BBL its not a big deal,,as long as the Upper & Lower are not together,,,,I would leave it on to protect the threads anyways !! As far as Mags go,,yea,,they need to be Pre-Ban,,but heck there are tons of them things around,,should not be a problem getting enough decent mags for the rifle !!! Once he gets it in NY then he can put the parts/stock on it to make it NY Compliant before he puts it all back together !! I'm sure someone else will come along and help out,,,but keep us posted on how ya make out !!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    If you get him the 14.5" middy with welded on brake it must also not have the bayonet lug. Overall length will be fine. No collapsible stock. Get him a fixed one. Sully is my favorite but there is an A1, A2, Ace fixed, RRA fixed etc. Any mags over 10 rounds must be preban.
    This is the correct answer. Since you have to Per attach the muzzle device you might as well go with a 14.5. Brake of choice is FSC556 or the as of yet unreleased Battle Comp 1.5.

Unless his current gun in complaint to NYS AWB

IE Semi auto detachable magazine rifles can only have 1 additional evil feature, in most cases this is the pistol grip.

So you cannot have a collapsible stock, you cannot have a threaded barrel, you cannot have a flash hider, and you cannot have a bayonet lug.

So you have to have a fixed stock perm attached non flash hiding muzzle device with a shaved lug

Also realize that if he is found with a collapsible stock post ban lower with a pistol grip he has already violated the AWB.

Also having a separated upper and lower could push the line of constructive intent if those were the only two items and no other prebans
    Last edited by usmc6177; 08-28-10 at 21:20.

Feedback Score
    32 (97%)
    Bayonet lug will come off easy with a dremel.

How about a pinned "collapsable" stock?

I guess best case scenario is he got lucky and bought a preban lower, he should be able to call DPMS with the serial number and get the manufactured date right? When did NY laws go into effect?

I doubt there's gonna be any preban 6.8 mags. 5.56 will be too expensive as you can tell by his choices.
    I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. - John Adams

The AK guys are all about the reach around. - Garand Thumb.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caeser25 View Post
    Bayonet lug will come off easy with a dremel.

How about a pinned "collapsable" stock?

I guess best case scenario is he got lucky and bought a preban lower, he should be able to call DPMS with the serial number and get the manufactured date right? When did NY laws go into effect?

I doubt there's gonna be any preban 6.8 mags. 5.56 will be too expensive as you can tell by his choices.
    Ah,,well thats cool then,,if indeed the lower is Pre-Ban !!! A check with DPMS would be good. I beleive the NY Laws went into affect around the time of the Federal Ban,,not sure of the time line,,but I know it did NOT go away when the Federal Ban did. Yea,,I'm pretty sure there is No 6.8 Pre-Ban mags,,,,,but I have a buddy that has a 6.8 and he bought the C Product 10 rd mags & they work fine !! Yea,,if he can Pin the Stock,,that would be fine,,,,as long as its not "easily" un-pinned,,LOL !!! My Original NY Compliant Stock had 2 roll pins in it,,shouldn't be a big deal if your handy with the correct tools !

Feedback Score
    The NYs ban started when the fed ban ended so it has to be manufactured be for 9-13-94 to be pre ban. As long as its not assembled the upper is fine. the stock will need to be pined if attached to lower. you can remove the stock tho. Actually you can buy a gun from any state bordering NY. No FFL required. did he pay for it already. If not tell them he didn't know it was not NY compliant. Back out of the deal. that gun isn't worth $750 new. could have bought a used Colt for that much. Worth the negative feed back if you ask me. I believe in going thru with the trans action but the sellers ripping him off unless he bid it up that high.