Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is the KAC RAS II Rarely Used?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Why is the KAC RAS II Rarely Used?

I was wondering why the KAC RAS II, which is a free float rail which takes all of 5 minutes to install, is so rarely used or even talked about? I have seen used ones selling on different boards for about a hundred bucks and although it might not be as good as a DD FF Rail it can be quickly installed without removing the barrel assembly - and are cheap. I was thinking of using one for a quasi-KISS carbine, just the rail, covers, a VFG and a Aimpoint.

Is there some problem with them or are they just not as “sexy” as some of the newer rails to come out?

This is model I am talking about:
    Last edited by p712k; 08-29-10 at 08:28.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by p712k View Post

I was wondering why the KAC RAS II, which is a free float rail which takes all of 5 minutes to install, is so rarely used or even talked about?
    Because it severly limits your optic mounting options.
    All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    I had one for a while. An Aimpoint on a low mount on the hump or an ACOG TA31F is what I ran on mine.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    So other than the optics constraints they are GTG?

Feedback Score
    Yup.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I had one for quite a bit. Great rail, easy to install, and best of all, it doggone works. Not the sexiest, not the lightest, not the prettiest, but you can count on it. One less thing on your piece to worry about.

Time may be passing it by, but KAC puts out some great stuff, so if you can get one hop on it.

If you have any detailed questions, Kevin B can probabaly help you.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    I had one a number of years ago. I actually really liked it. At the time I was running an Aimpoint M2 in the ARMS low mount and it was a perfectly fine set up.

As time went on I tested the waters on a couple of Eotechs and they weren't a good fit with that rail so I eventually sold it off. But I'm long since back to Aimpoints again and there have been a few times I've wished for that rail back.

If you come across a good condition one for a good price I think you'd get a lot of good out of it.
    Sig Sauer LE Armorer
    Glock LE Armorer
    Colt AR15/M16 Armorer
    T.O.S.S. (Tactical Officer Survival School) inst. Tom Long
    Vicker's Tactical Pistol 1 & 2 Carbine 1 Advanced carbine Inst. Larry Vickers
    Intermediate pistol Inst. Ken Hackathorn
    Combat Speed Inst. Dave Harrington
    Performance Pistol Inst. Frank Proctor

Feedback Score
    I like that rail on CQB guns. But most people here run 14.5'' - 16'', etc. guns with midlength systems. Which this rail has no home on.

Also, KAC makes better rails than this. See URX, and MRE Model ''A''.

I'd rather have it than a DD, Troy, or whatever else though, for two reasons.

- I have experience with KAC's product and trust them more than any other manufacturer.
    - Second kind of cool.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I am going to run it on a M4 SOCOM profile barrel, I bought one so when I get it installed I will post pics of it. Also got a LT-152 mount for my aimpoint.
    Last edited by p712k; 08-30-10 at 06:12.

Feedback Score
    It's a great system for those that want the benefits of a free floating barrel without having to remove you FSB or adhere to a special mounting solution. It gives an operator the ability to keep standard equipment on the gun and improve its performance. But it does have the "camel hump" that does limit optics choices.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast