Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So whats the concensus on SWFA SS Scopes?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

So whats the concensus on SWFA SS Scopes?

I have a pretty basic setup right now

Rem 700P in .308, about 400 rounds through it, wearing a Bushnell Elite 3200 10x scope on an EGW 0 MOA base. It has 8oz of lead shot in the barrel channel, along with 8oz in the buttstock and the action is glass bed with some trigger work. Its heavy as hell but kicks like a .243

This rifle is my first ever bolt gun. All my others are ARs, AKs, or Milsurp long guns. It was intended as a starter rig but has served me well, and I'd like to upgrade the optic.

I'm looking at SWFA SS, and have been looking at them for about 3 months and never ever seen a negative review, anywhere. For $300 they seem unbeatable. I know the guys with the $1400 Leupolds will say spend the $1400 and get a leupold, but as of right now I'm still learning. If I were to get a leupold I would put it on a brand new "Better" stick once I have my fundamentals down.

Thoughts? Also, whats a good 30mm ring setup that is QD capable without losing a significant amount of zero?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Also, whats a good 30mm ring setup that is QD capable without losing a significant amount of zero?
    I am interested in finding this out myself. At the high end of the QD mounts spectrum, I've been looking at the Larue Tactical "low" QD rings. They are pricey but coming from Larue, you know they are going to work:

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetac...ail.bok?no=365

When you get into lower priced QD rings, I don't really know what they give up compared to higher end options like Larue, so not sure which if any of them are worth looking at.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    My brother has one on a Rem 700 pss. His scope works fine unless it sits for a while. If he does not dial his scope the turrets seem to lock up. I think its a huge pain, he does not shoot/dial much so he does not care.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

SS 10 & 16

FWIW the SS's are a decent scope for the money. I use them on my build up guns. I have two for set up/funtion and dialing rifles in.

After the rifle's built and Im happy with the performance the SS is removed and a much better scope is mounted.

I have not experienced any dial or knob turning issues with either scope.

Good luck on your project.

D Williams

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I had one on one of my rifles for a long time. I had no issue with the knobs or anything on the scope. My only reason for moving on was my desire for a variable power scope. Its definitely NOT a Premier or a USO, but for the $$ its a great scope. Among its peers I think its the best out there. Having been spoiled over the past year or so with a Mil/Mil set up my only negative is the Mil/Moa on anything other than the HD version.

As for mounting options, I have used EGW bases with good success. For rings Warne. Not sure what the use for QD rings on a bolt gun would be, but my SPR mounts are rock solid.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

Thumbs up

I own an original 10x42 and a newer 3-9x42. The new 3-9x42 is shares nothing in common with the older 10x42 other than the name. The turrets are in mils and are much more positive, the glass is better and the FFP reticle is a nice feature for a $600 scope. The only thing missing is a side parallax adjustment. I think for the money, the 3-9 is well worth it.

I understand that the 10x42 HD is on the level of the new 3-9x42 and has a parallax adjustment. If SWFA comes out with a FFP 4-14 or 5-15 with parallax and illuminated reticle for under a thousand, I'll be picking one up for sure.

Feedback Score
    Here is a link to the SWFA Scope Rating scale for 2009: http://www.opticstalk.com/topic16515.html. You can see where the SS sits on SWFA's own chart, in comparison to say a Vortex Viper, which can be had for the same money (w/o target turrets), but gets a higher rating. The SS is hard to beat based on scopes with the exact same feature though.
    I've got a bunch of survival guides on my Kindle, so I'm ready for an EMP.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    One of the only budget optics that met or exceeded my expectations. I recommend them to folks who don't aspire to be snipers, and need a solid optic for a bolt gun or DMR type AR.

There are certainly better scopes, but @ 2x/3x/4x...10x the price.

HOWEVER, the SWFA Super Sniper will be about on par with the 3200 10x you have now, maybe only slightly better.

If you want to upgrade, I think you'd be well served to jump up to the Leupold Mark 4 line. My personal favorite is the Mark 4 LR/T M1 3.5-10. Though it's in the next zip code in terms of pricing.

I've used one of the older Nikon Tacticals, and they get high marks from me too. I think the X line replaced them: Nikon Monarch X 2.5-10
    Last edited by SHIVAN; 09-01-10 at 10:28.
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    TBH they are good for their price point, and if you want to stay in that price point, they are hard to beat. I personally dont like to go with anything less than a NF or a leupy MK4, but thats just my opinion.
    Dont sweat the small stuff.

If youre not taking fire, its all small stuff.

Feedback Score
    I own one, my brother owns one, and a good friend owns one. We all like the scope and have had no problems. The only complaint I have is that when you turn the knobs it is more of a thud then a click, so when you are making adjustments it can be hard to know how far you've adjusted it sometimes. Good scope though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast