Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So whats the concensus on SWFA SS Scopes?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Thanks for the replies. I will stick with my 3200. In that comparison the 3200 is on the same level as the SS scope anyway. No sense in replacing a $200 scope with a $300 scope.

I don't get it. I have no qualms dropping thousands for my ARs, but when it comes to the most important part of my bolt gun I am a huge cheap skate.

I will save for a Mk4. Its what I've wanted all along, might as well stick with a true proven quality scope.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Good move, as I was gonna ask why you were looking t swap out your 10x 3200 for a 10x SS.

If you're looking to upgrade on a budget you could take a look at the Weaver Tactical 3-10x with Mil/Mil. Midway has them on sale for $300 now.

Feedback Score
    I second the good move comment.

I have both the 3200 elite and the standard SS. The SS I've had for awhile and the 3200 elite I got as a cheap place holder till the scope I'm waiting for is released. I like the SS alittle better then the 3200 but wouldn't pay the extra $$ for it if I had the 3200 first.

I think they are pretty close to equal from what I can see on my sample size of one but the nod would go to the SS no question about it.

SS holds zero between trips out and the time I dropped my rifle on its side. The SS tracks more accurately for me and just seems more solid all around(6 oz heavier).

3200 elite has better glass quality(vs standard not seen SS HD glass yet) is 6 oz lighter but seems to me like it wouldn't take near the beating that the SS would. It has held zero so far but doesn't track as well for me as the SS but could be apples to oranges as my SS is on bolt gun with all badger mounting and 3200 is in a primary arms mount for now on a new AR build. I think my 3200 is newer then yours as mine has the crappy green paint on the turrets thats harder to see.

I would of gotten the new 3-9 SS scope for my AR but had some issues with SWFA when I bought my first SS scope so decided against it. Maybe when they come out with the 1-4 I'll try them again.

Feedback Score
    I have the side focus, super sniper scope on my DPMS 308. My good friend has a much more expensive, similarly sized Leupold (sorry I forgot the model) on the same model gun. I know this is highly subjective and non scientific. However, I am an amateur astronomer and I appreciate good optics.

I really like the SS optics, and I find them clear, with a nice field of view and tough enough for my use. However, the Leupold is a better scope. It's not more clear, or more sharp. But, under very low light conditions, the Leupold clearly works better. It's coatings and overall optical quality do help transmit light better.

In my neck of the woods, it matters not. I don't hunt or target shoot during the 2 minute period between waning light and total darkness.

Edit for additional information: It's $400 vs. $1200 and the real world performance is exactly the same. As I mentioned above, it's just as clear and sharp and it's tough. The $800 additional only results in slightly better "twilight" performance. By that I really do mean the last few seconds of available light. Not the performance at dusk, mind you, but the performance when dusk is over and night is just starting.

Also, I took the scope out and did some stargazing with it. The stars are sharp to the edge, a sign of properly figured optics. The light gathering ability is impressive. Better even than my 10x, 50mm (larger objective) Meade aiming scope.
    Last edited by cujet; 10-28-10 at 08:38.
    long range target when the shaking stops.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

SS is a great scope for the money

I have a SS 10X HD on my .308 bolt gun, which has gone from a SPS Varmint to a sub .5 moa tack driver (with a little coaxing from the wallet and a good gunsmith).

Anyway, the scope tracks as well as any M3A that I've used (I've been a sniper, spotter, sniper squad leader, and scout/sniper platoon sergeant over the years) and in my opinion the difference in glass quality is not worth the difference in price, unless it's on the Army's coin. I've shot early morning and at dusk with guys with the S&Bs, Nightforce, and Swarovski's and did just fine. I'm not saying that SS is the same as these scopes, but I AM saying that they're not that much worse.

I haven't used the newer variable power FFP but I would imagine it's on par or slightly better than a Falcon Menace 4-14, which I've never personally used but I've read good reviews.

Bottom line, use what is best suited for your needs and your budget. The most important thing is that you're shooting long and straight.

Feedback Score
    Heck I have been using a 3-9 and 10HD version of the SS line of scopes for about a year now. Best deal going on 3-9 varible and best deal on a fixed 10X. Basically the new 10HD is like an original BxL 10X tactical wthat has been beefed up a bit. If they offered these with M3 type dials I would be in heaven.

The less expensive 10xs fixed are a great deal but no where near as good as the newer models.

I did a review of the 3-9 and its on my website

www.tacticalintervention.com

Feedback Score
    I have an old 10X side focus that I've been using since 2002. No problems here.

Feedback Score
    I have the 10x on my Savage 10FP .308.

It has been great and the adjustments have been accurate from one distance to another.

Feedback Score

Wink

I put a 10X on my Regmington PSS eight years ago until I could afford something better. It's still there. I have two of the 3-9 with FFP and mil/mil and am waiting for the new 1-4 to come out. Great scopes.

[img

Uploaded with ImageShack.usimg]

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I was an LE sniper for many years, and was the assist. sniper team leader. I was in charge of T&E'ing all the new stuff. (Tough job, but someone had to do it. )

Anyway, I've had all kinds of crazy-expensive glass on my rifle: S&B, USO, NF, IOR, etc.

Since getting out of the biz, and not really needing a $3000 piece of glass on a rifle that only punches paper and woodchucks, I sold off the USO I had and put a SS 3-9 on it just so it would have some kind of glass.

I'm pretty impressed. It's nice and clear, tracks well, and doesn't look too bad. I'm going to give the Viper PST a look once they sort out the issues with those, just because I like having parallax adj, and illum, but for the time being, the SS fits my needs. I'll likely keep it and stick it on my Recce or something.

Instructor: Sniper, Carbine, Handgun, Shotgun
    Armorer: Glock, Colt AR15/M16
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast