Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BFG Vickers Cobra!

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    they advertise a steel version but i've never seen them available - all i've seen are the alum ones. do a magnet test on the male end to see if it's steel or alum - i'm curious.

Did the magnet test and no go so it is not steel. It must have a lot of other components in it to make it NOT feel like Alum.

C4

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    all hail the pope!

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    all hail the pope!

Will they let a none Catholic be the Pope???

C4

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    you could always convert

Feedback Score

Overkill?

Is it just me or does anyone think this is a bit overkill for a weapons sling?

Yeah the Cobra buckle is a cool looking/functioning buckle and there is always the trend towards overbuilt equipment. Maybe I am missing the application and Larry Vickers certainly has more experience than I will ever have in two lifetimes. Are we looking at a marketing "cool factor" here or actual utility?

Also as an aside, [s]this buckle WILL release under load but you must press both ears of the release mechanism. It will not release if you press just one. [/s]

I stand corrected, I just read that it will not release. So this puzzles me even more, now i think it becomes a safety hazard.

Feedback Score
    Oh hell, the specs seem to contradict themselves:

Load Bearing Quick Release Buckles
    Patented Engineering / Design
    18kN / 3200lb / 63grams
    High Strength Aluminum alloy
    Brass Release Mechanism

CE Certified / ISO9001
    Safe, Secure, Unparalled quality
    Unlike the competition's (Ace Metal, Stubai, SF) quick releases, Austi Alpin Cobras will not release when under load or by accidental human error.

Description:
    The unmatched quality and performance of our Patented "Cobra" buckle system. Compact, light, high load capacity, handy, versatile and safe.

-Click buckle for various width in harness straps
    -Identical locking mechanism, therefore all parts are compatible.
    -Two finger safety release, no one sided opening of lock when under load
    -Guaranteed strength 18kN in ring
    -For fixed and adjustable straps
    -Fixed or Adjustable ends (Male or Female)
    -Cobras are available in sizes 1" and 1 3/4" and in the following variations:
    -Camouflage Foliage Green Finish
    -Camouflage Desert Sand Finish
    -All Black Matte Night Finish
    -Hard Coat (TM) finishing for Salt Water / Corrosion Proof / High friction applications
    -XL release clips option (for all sizes and variations)
    -INOX steel (ie ANSI Z359) Cobra - available Summer '06 .
    I'm eventually going to stock these so I should find out for sure.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    if grant doesn't check first, i'll take a look when i get home this evening with the cobra buckles i have to see if they can be released under load with two fingers. they're very cool buckles, but probably overkill for anything other than harness/rigger belt use. the standard ITW 1" SR buckle should be sufficient with it's 300 lb tensile strength. but if you like overbuilt and no chance of a plastic buckle breaking if you slam it between a car door or something, then the cobra's for you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DIYTactical View Post
    Yeah the Cobra buckle is a cool looking/functioning buckle and there is always the trend towards overbuilt equipment. Maybe I am missing the application and Larry Vickers certainly has more experience than I will ever have in two lifetimes.
    It is overkill for my needs. However, it seems that most marketing in gun accessories is playing on overkill. For instance, someone here wanted to mount a flashlight to his plastic handguards, but wasn't sure if the pieces of rail you buy and mount to the handguard via screws would be sturdy enough. I have some of them and beat the everloving crap out of them and haven't seen a durability issue. I guess, if I made a habit out of fast roping from a helo, I would be more concerned...

Anyway, if someone would like to finance a new sling by selling an old one, in oh say FDE, I would be more than happy to oblige.
    They had no right to win. Yet they did, and in doing so they changed the course of a war...even against the greatest of odds, there is something in the human spirit - a magic blend of skill, faith and valor - that can lift men from certain defeat to incredible victory.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Fastex type buckles do break so I don't think it is really all that much overkill.

In order for the buckle to release, you have to depress both tabs. You have to hit both tabs on a fastex buckle as well so there is no difference.

Being able to open the buckle by hitting just one side would be a big no no to me.

C4

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast