Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 6.8 Info...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Avoid CP mags--to date, these are NOT proving reliable enough for serious use; the PRI and Barret mags seem to be working well.
    I don't disagree with the Doc on much, but I have had near 100% reliability with my 32 CProducts 6.8mm mags except when using the SSA X-Treme load which I no longer use (and is no longer available).

Stephen

Feedback Score
    Hey guys,
    A few more questions, hoping you could help with. I'm about to start shooting 6.8 here soon, after I buy an LMT 6.8 MRP bbl...

1.What are the heaviest 6.8 bullets weighing in at? 115? Is there heavier from Hornady or anyone else?

2. Whic specific bullet is used in the Hornady part # 81465 TAP? I swear, every bullet seems to have a VERY faint reddish-"hue" on the last 1/4" (out at the tip) of the bullet. This is NOT "ballistic" tip ammo, but each bullet just has a reddish tint or "hue".. ???
    3. I have always liked the 1:7 twist bbl's for 5.56, to shoot 75/77gr ammo, so what 6.8 bbl twist rate would be best??? I'm guessing there is probably not as many bbl twist rates to choose from, as with 5.56?
    Thanks guys...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cataldo View Post
    Hey guys,
    A few more questions, hoping you could help with. I'm about to start shooting 6.8 here soon, after I buy an LMT 6.8 MRP bbl...

1.What are the heaviest 6.8 bullets weighing in at? 115? Is there heavier from Hornady or anyone else?
    I believe that's the heaviest commercial load. Case capacity is limited, so although there are heavier .277 bullets available, it's very difficult to drive them to high enough velocities to be as effective as the lighter weight 110-115 grain offerings.

2. Whic specific bullet is used in the Hornady part # 81465 TAP? I swear, every bullet seems to have a VERY faint reddish-"hue" on the last 1/4" (out at the tip) of the bullet. This is NOT "ballistic" tip ammo, but each bullet just has a reddish tint or "hue".. ???
    It's a V-Max which does incorporate a red polymer tip. That's not a hue you're seeing, that genuine, organic, all-natural plastic.

3. I have always liked the 1:7 twist bbl's for 5.56, to shoot 75/77gr ammo, so what 6.8 bbl twist rate would be best??? I'm guessing there is probably not as many bbl twist rates to choose from, as with 5.56?
    Thanks guys...
    IIRC, popular twists are 1:10 or 1:11. I'd check with your builder on std twist rates. And don't assume what's correct for 5.56 will be correct for 6.8/.277. Twist rates are a function of bullet length-to-diameter ratios and velocities.

Feedback Score
    Hmm--check above as barrel twist is discussed in my second post...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cataldo View Post
    Hey guys,

Thanks guys...
    I've handloaded up to 150 grain moving at around 2250 fps out of a 16" 1-10 barrel. Very accurate load (Nosler 150 grain ballistic tip). I have plans to use this load for a brush load while hunting hogs and whitetail in thick terrain.

Feedback Score
    Holy hell, that's a heck of a 6.8 round! I'd love to see the wound channel from that one.
    Doc,
    Yeah, I missed your mentioning of 1:12 up above. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Guys,
    I don't have any 6.8 mags yet, but I was just playing with some 6.8 bullets and inserting them into my CProducts 5.56 mags, and they seem to FIT perfectly, as the .223 round is almost the same length as the 6.8 round.
    WHAT exactly is the difference between a 5.56 mag, and a 6.8 mag?

I'm still trying to decide if I should buy PRI mags or Barrett mags, and I have never seen pics of EITHER.
    Anyone know where I can see good shots of each mag?
    What is the difference between the mags and their construction? Anyone know of a thread online that discusses 6.8 mags, with details?
    Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    Paul,

Re. mags, see my last sentence of my second post above...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Hi, Doc, long time no speak...

Whose 6.8 bolt do you prefer?

Feedback Score
    Yes, I read your post above recommending PRI or Barrett mags, however, that sentence did not really answer any of the questions I had in my last post.
    Thanks for the info though Doc, your posts are very much appreciated.

Can anyone shed some light pertaining to my 6.8 mag questions above?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast