Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Functional Range Day

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VMI-MO View Post
    Here is todays event
    Operator gone bad.

Target was a Steel 9" plate at 100m and a 6" bull at 10m.

Scored around 60% on the steel. Had 3 misses on pistol and a total time of 6:08.

PJ
    Nice. Is that on your own property?
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

VMI-MO Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Nice. Is that on your own property?
    It is a long time friends property that we turned into a range. No gay rules and never overcrowded.

PJ

Feedback Score

training for the ironman 3 gun

part one

part two

here are some we did back in June.
    Last edited by azidpa; 09-11-10 at 17:10.
    the will to win is nothing without the will to prepare.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by azidpa View Post
    part one

part two

here are some we did back in June.
    How goes the "functional" range training?
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score

Last functional range day

Will,

Back in March I did a heart rate test (I think I copied you on the email).
    Shot a control group on the top target with the G17, immediately followed by
    10x get-up
    10x squat jumps
    10x push-ups

Folllowed by shooting another 10 rds and repeating the reps until all targets were engaged.
    Heart rates were recorded and scores noted.

As I had mentioned in the write-up,

"I'm experimenting with the myth of " you won't be able to see your sights or perform fine motor skills" at an elevated heart rate.

So far, I was able to reload, see the sights and make reasonable hits at a HR that would probably give me aheart attack if kept up at that level for an extended period.
    Toward the end of each session, I could clearly visualize Little Baby Jesus mocking me as I gasped for air
    ."

recent training has been geared to more conventional stuff with VTAC Pistol 1.5 in March and Maike Panone Pistol class last weekend.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    We've been trending towards this the last 2 range trips. Iraqgunz has been running us throught "scrambler" drills.

Quite eye openning as all of us are excellent marksmen.... but running many yards to your piece of cover certainly impacts the ability to deliver accurate fire.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    ... but running many yards to your piece of cover certainly impacts the ability to deliver accurate fire.
    Sure does....now add in additional stress modifiers, and see what happens.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Will,

Back in March I did a heart rate test (I think I copied you on the email).
    Don't recall getting an email on that.

Shot a control group on the top target with the G17, immediately followed by
    10x get-up
    10x squat jumps
    10x push-ups

Folllowed by shooting another 10 rds and repeating the reps until all targets were engaged.
    Heart rates were recorded and scores noted.

As I had mentioned in the write-up,

"[I]I'm experimenting with the myth of " you won't be able to see your sights or perform fine motor skills" at an elevated heart rate.

So far, I was able to reload, see the sights and make reasonable hits at a HR that would probably give me aheart attack if kept up at that level for an extended period.
    Were you able to time it before and after effects of the added stress modifiers? That is, you were able reasonable hits at the elevated heart rate, but did it take longer when compared to no added stress?

If you get a chance, try something more physically challenging that raises heart rate, but also challenges strength and coordination, and do your best to set up the stage using movement patterns that might happen in the "real world" and stress all energy systems.

Such as, sprint 50 yards, fireman carry buddy 50 yards, push a cruiser/car out of the way, (I have a specific stage called "Cruiser Push O Death" in my program people like), 10 over head pressed with 100lb sand bag, engage targets 1-3 on the move from X distance.

Something like that will make all but the best shooter in the highest level of conditioning see their scores suffer.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 04-17-11 at 10:02.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Sure does....now add in additional stress modifiers, and see what happens.
    We did add the time compression element. And we sucked.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Were you able to time it before and after effects of the added stress modifiers? That is, you were able reasonable hits at the elevated heart rate, but did it take longer when compared to no added stress?
    I purposely tried to shoot as quickly as I could for the shot string to keep in the elevated heart rate zone.
    If you notice on the pic, there are notes to the side of the bull
    (178/166, 186/180, 186/181), the beginning & ending HR per string.

If you get a chance, try something more physically challenging that raises heart rate, but also challenges strength and coordination, and do your best to set up the stage using movement patterns that might happen in the "real world" and stress all energy systems.

Such as, sprint 50 yards, fireman carry buddy 50 yards, push a cruiser/car out of the way, (I have a specific stage called "Cruiser Push O Death" in my program people like), 10 over head pressed with 100lb sand bag, engage targets 1-3 on the move from X distance.

Something like that will make all but the best shooter in the highest level of conditioning see their scores suffer.
    Sounds like good training!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast