Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Spend $300+ for a SHTF knife, why?

Feedback Score

Spend $300+ for a SHTF knife, why?

Have a few months before tax refund. Next project is a nice field knife. Edited to add: A 6"-8" pig sticker, not a folder.

OK, seriously, I don't know. This is why I am asking. I have always been a "get what you pay for" kind of guy, so if it's worth it, I'll spend the extra cash. I will have to be convinced though.

I am talking about a knife that I will USE and possibly ABUSE, not one to hang on the wall.

So, why not just spend $90 +/- on a good stainless Ka-Bar, as opposed to 300+ on a good Strider or Cold Steel???

I've heard the "gun" argument, and have always been convinced there. I just am not seeing that much difference in the knives.

My fear of spending more than $150 on a knife is that I might be afraid to deploy it. I might lose it in the water, or get it all scratched up, so "beauty" is not practical for me. I want rugged and durable.

Functionality, and practicality are what I am looking for, as well as something that will not make me cry if I drop it in a river. I'll be careful, but is the extra $100-$200 worth it for something that I am going to USE?

Thank goodness I have a few months to make up my mind. Thanks!
    Last edited by Det-Sog; 09-07-10 at 13:42. Reason: Clarity.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    if you're spending more than two hunna on a knife, you'd better be using it. otherwise it's an absolute waste of money, no?

my daily carry pocket folder retails for $237 (though you can find them for less).. in the last 6 or 7 years, i've only had to replace it once, after losing it. before that, i'd replace my pocket folder about every 6 months, because i kept buying cheap $75 kershaws and gerbers that simply could not handle the abuse i gave them. the kershaws would break blades, and the gerbers would break handles.. consistently.

knives are no different than guns, in this regard.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    OP from your post is sounds like you're looking strictly at fixed blades?

I have a RAT (now ESEE) 3 and really like it. I would like the 4 or the 5 next time though.
    http://www.eseeknives.com/index2.htm

Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    my daily carry pocket folder retails for $237 (though you can find them for less)
    Emerson? Benchmade?
    Last edited by Icculus; 09-07-10 at 13:15.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Icculus View Post

I have a RAT (now ESEE) 3 and really like it. I would like the 4 or the 5 next time though.
    http://www.eseeknives.com/index2.htm

Emerson? Benchmade?
    oops.. benchmade. blackline only, though- their commercial line is just as crappy chicom as anybody else. the blackline are the only knives they still make themselves, right here in oregon.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I hear ya. Love my Benchmade's. The AXIS lock is super sweet.

OP if you're not looking strictly at fixed blades bkb0000 didn't steer you wrong. Benchmade's are top quality. One of my personal faves is the 950 Rift. Just wish I could afford more

http://www.knifeworks.com/benchmade9...plainedge.aspx

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Icculus View Post
    Correct. I should have been more clear. Sorry. I just edited the first post to reflect that. I have two decent folders already.

I have a Spyderco, and a Cold Steel Voyager. The Spyder is going on 18 years and is a little worn out. the CS Voyager is going on 11 years, and is just getting broke in. It's been a GREAT blade.

So, I am looking for a medium sized 6"-8" fixed blade field knife. Something that I can do just about anything with. If it won't be on my Tac vest, it will be in my bugout bag. I want something that I can build a shelter in the woods with, if need be. I had a Ka-Bar on my survival vest in the military. It seemed like a decent blade.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    In that case I don't have a lot of first hand knowledge with blades quite that big.

Again I have an ESEE (albeit a smaller one) and its a super nice blade. I've abused it and its held up very well and the linen micarta handles are great. The 6 would maybe fit the bill for you. Keep in mind though that it is 1095 steel so will surface rust on you if you're not careful. Its in the $100-$120 range
    http://www.eseeknives.com/rc-6.htm

Other than that though I just have a Ka-Bar which it sounds like you're already familiar with. Best I can do beyond that is mention some brands to you that I've researched and have on my wish list (although I'm looking at some slightly smaller models)

Falkniven - the A1 is 6.3" - $150ish
    http://www.fallkniven.com/en/shop/de...ary-knives/a1z

Scrapyard Knives - Busse steel without the Busse price -- don't think they have any current offerings but this page will give you the skinny on how their operation works $80-$140 range for some of the offerings I've seen
    http://www.scrapyardknives.com/ubbth...e=0#Post147139

Fehrman Knives - I find these very interesting. I have read though that the super hard CPM-3V steel is bitch to sharpen. In the range of your requested blade lengths but getting up into that "Damn, I don't want to lose this price range"
    First Stike
    Shadow Scout

Maybe helps a little
    Last edited by Icculus; 09-07-10 at 14:40.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    the only large fixed knife i have any real experience with happens to be a ka bar.. a next-gen kabar i picked up in 99 or 00.. still have it, still is my "field" knife. im sure i don't abuse it nearly as much as some guys abuse their field knives, but it's got some pretty good wear to it. i'm perfectly happy with it, and with the $120 or so i paid for it, but again, it's simply not a knife i use the shit out of. take this for what it's worth.

if you read around here, you'll see the kabar is respected, but not recommended. i dont remember why.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    7" blade & not a lot of cash I like the old Becker BK-7. If you can find one its worth the money. I really haven't found it necessary for anything but knives seem to follow me home.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Look at Chris Reeve if you want a mid price range that is a lot better than the 150 and under knives but not much "less" than much more expensive knives.

The sub $150 knives work if you are a light duty user and don't do all that much with it.

I also recommend you use the knife as a knife and not as a hatchet, pry bar, shovel, ect. Usually when a knife fails its because it was either of POS to begin with or they use it as something other than a knife. Of course there are a few niche makers who make nearly indestructible blades you can pound on but then you are getting into the absurd in size, weight, and price. If you want to abuse a knife either pony up for something around $500 or get cheap knives you can replace as you break them. A $300 Chris Reeves will do anything a knife realistically should be used for, and do it very well.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast