Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 308 short barrel rifle - how short and which one?

Feedback Score
    I was suggesting that if the 417 had a 12.0 inch barrel, they probably put some thought into it and/or are just doing what military customers want -- so you may want to do the same. But then I realized that it would be too short for your SCAR-SD suppressor mount (unless you threaded it to match the HK-417, in which case you could use the AAC mount for that), so I am thinking 12.5 or longer would be best -- but gave the barrel print so you could check for yourself. It was all I had to offer. No ballistics data handy.

I agree that 16 inches is a good way to go and already on the short side for .308. However, in order to get a SCAR-H on that, you will need to get a medium barrel and get it custom profiled. It can be done and you can give DSA the print I linked to. I wanted to do it myself. I was going to do it as an 18 or 18.5 inch and make it more of a reliable semi-precision rifle and not as a CQB setup.

Feedback Score
    i have an 11" DSA FAL and i really enjoy it. if i do my part, 300 yd. hits are not much of a problem w/o a ton of holdover [i use an aimpoint on mine]. don't know how "hard" it hits, but i know i wouldn't want to be on the receiving end.

as far as functionality, i have not really had a problem w/ mine [other than the odd bad mag]. once i adjusted the gas system as per the manual, i am good to go. i will say, though, i have probably only put 500-600 rds. through mine [it's a recent acquisition], so i can't really attest to any bent pistons or what have you.

frankly, i really enjoy shooting it. it's a very managable and accurate SBR. i was initially worried about recoil, but it's such a tubby bastard [coupled with the FAL system] that the recoil is not really an issue. frankly, my milled 7.62x39 AK is no fun to shoot. i could shoot this thing all day and not sweat it.

that being said, the noveske is sweet, too. good luck.

Feedback Score
    "But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you can't help that," said the cheshire Cat, "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're
    mad."
    "How do you know I'm mad?" asked Alice.
    "You must be," said the cheshire Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

--Lewis Carroll

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I really like the look of that Noveske too (meaning the look of the specs, not the appearance of the rifle, although that ain't bad either) but damn is it expensive.
    Armalite AR-10 $3357! plus the $200 and transfer fees, and THEN you add in the optics, which in the case of the S&B shown is another $2k.

At that price I'd want to have a real need, not just a "want". Obviously everyone's perception of money is different, so if $6k+ for a rifle doesn't bother you, have at it! Of course, I want to shoot it if you get one!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I really like the look of that Noveske too ....
    Psst...he is now selling the Leonidas 14.5" barrels with a pinned on 17-4 lo-pro gasblock. $475.

It's on my short list, for sure.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Feedback Score
    I'm not a big fan of either rifle, but if I wanted a reliable sub 16" 308, I'd probably go with a FAL or an HK51/G3K/whatever.

I'm not sure how far along the POF 308's are, but I'd be interested to hear if they're going to be offering a 308 SBR anytime soon.

It's too bad the 308 Masada and SCAR-H's won't be on the civilian market for quite awhile (if ever).
    The luxury of freedom was not free.

Feedback Score
    Have a v-51 sbr that vector set up-10"bbl instead of shorty(9") to better mt. a can-not moa accurate, but a hoot to shoot and still good on plates and man sized targets at 300yds. Although I wonder how many of will ever shoot at people at that distance-not me any more, not even in 70/71.-Beemer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12