Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ar15 pistol reliability?

Feedback Score

ar15 pistol reliability?

are ar15 pistols just as reliable as there big brother? or are they more picky on the ammo? any issues!!!!!!!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kiki View Post
    are ar15 pistols just as reliable as there big brother? or are they more picky on the ammo? any issues!!!!!!!!
    The one I built has been just fine with Privi, Winchester bulk, Remington bulk, and my own reloads.

They aren't any more "picky" about ammo than any other AR build, however, you will find that they get dirty pretty quick. The shorter the gas tube, the dirtier they tend to be. They'll need to be cleaned more often to keep them running.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Like the poster above stated.
    It depends on if they are set up right from the beggining.
    I had a DPMS Kitty Kat that had to have the gas port opened up to run.
    I just built a 7.5" using a Rainier Ultra Match barrel with a .056 gas port that has run 100% with about 500 rounds through it.
    My DPMS had to be opened up to .078.
    I always use a FA BCG and either a 9mm buffer or an H2 with a BCM extractor spring upgrade.
    The Rainier build has run everything from Wolf to M855

I would love to do a piston pistol build to see how much cleaner it would run.
    Last edited by shadow65; 09-28-10 at 08:26.
    Independent Field Testing/R & D

Better to die for something than live for nothing

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow65 View Post
    I would love to do a piston pistol build to see how much cleaner it would run.
    I chose to go with the ADAMS ARMS piston retrofit kit and in a SBR, it is a GREAT option. The gas block and handguard get a little dirty, but it's an awesome addition to a SBR build.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thats what I want.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiki View Post
    No. Typically these things are made by the worst manufacturers (in regards to quality and knowing how to build short barreled AR's).

Could you build one that is reliable? I think so (as long as the barrel length is over 7.5.

Are these things generally a good idea as a fighting tool? No way.

C4

Feedback Score
    While mine has been very good to me without issue, I have to agree with Grant.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I know Noveske makes the Diplomat and mine is a Rainier. I don't consider them as low end manufacturers.
    My DPMS did have to have the gas port opened up. But it ran well after that.
    It's a compact, shorter distance set up.
    Biggest downfall is it gets dirty faster, especially with the DI.
    My next will be a piston build.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)

Can be!

If you were to build an AR pistol based on the same premise as building a quality SBR, in the length of 10.3-12.5 with proper parts and no gimmicky bullshit then reliability is very possible, perhaps even a guarantee as long as you do things right. In effect you are building an SBR w/o stock and VFG basically.

Is it a fighting weapon of choice...no. But is it better than nothing, yes. But I would side with Grant on this and say there are far better options out there besides an AR pistol. But if that is all your allowed or have then make damn sure it functions reliably and is of adequate SBR length and parts.

PS learn to shoot it properly using the limited points of contact available to you.
    Never judge a man by his success, judge by how he deals with his failures!- L.E.C.

Some People suck at being Human!- Me

"To keep you is no gain, to destroy you is no loss."- Khmer Rouge

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mine are SBR's. I do have one pistol lower and always will. In my state, I can carry it loaded in my truck, and cross state lines without paper work for it.
    But I would always take an SBR over an AR pistol, given the choice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast