Thread: Yet another...My First Build

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Yet another...My First Build

Although it's not a custom build, I am in the works of putting together my first AR.

Now, this IS NOT my first OWNED AR, as I sarted with a S&W M&P, then was bitten by the bug!

I started off not knowing a thing about AR's(don't know much more now...lol), although the "looks" of the S&W kept calling me, and I finally traded into one.

Time frame was just prior to our last President election...

When election time came....good luck finding an AR! and when I did, I just could not afford it!

Soooo, I buy 2 stripped lowers, (whatever I could find/afford)
    Both RRA, Not my best investment, nor my worse!

Now I am currently ready to build, Have some dinero and time set aside just for this!
    I posted a question on how to build a Colt 6920, equal on a RRA lower...MOST replied to just buy a 6920, so I did, as prices and availability have become much more "back to normal"...LOL

OK, on to my build up...

LMT M4 Upper, with Larue Tact 7.0 Rail, LMT Rear BUIS, on a RRA Lower reciever.

I need to buy a LPK, Stock and Optics, but this will be how my first build goes.

Input?!
    Suggestions?!
    Problems?!
    Questions?!
    Answers?!

PLEASE LMK Whatchya Think?!

Feedback Score
    Whats the goal of this first build? Long distance accuracy or reliability? Not sure you can get both?

You want to emphasize heavy or light?

That makes the stock and optic choice, IMO.

Me? Go light, get a MAGPUL CTR stock, and an Aimpoint T1/H1 with a LaRue mount.

Tons of inputs from tons of smarter than I folks on this site- search through the forums for more than you can read.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Definately Reliability...but, with as much accurracy as possible.
    If that makes sense?
    I want reliability first and foremost, but with whatever can squeeze a little accuracy outta of it is welcomed.
    I want this to be a defensive gun ( one I hopefully never need btw)

I figure a 200yd, ?maybe? 300 yd max range, at one or 1.25 MOA degree of accuracy at the worst case, hoping for better, but realisticly at those numbers...it will shoot better than me

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TOA View Post
    Definately Reliability...but, with as much accurracy as possible.
    If that makes sense?
    I want reliability first and foremost, but with whatever can squeeze a little accuracy outta of it is welcomed.
    I want this to be a defensive gun ( one I hopefully never need btw)

I figure a 200yd, ?maybe? 300 yd max range, at one or 1.25 MOA degree of accuracy at the worst case, hoping for better, but realisticly at those numbers...it will shoot better than me
    Ok, so MY TAKE on this...

If you have a threat, for realz, i.e. your home, city, neighborhood, post Katrina, whatever, that is 200 or 300 yds away, you have OTHER options than shooting. Move for one. My take is a defensive gun is 100 yd and in- maybe a bit more, likely more like 50m.

At that range, I need to hit a paper plate in the center of mass, right? So, I need a few MOA rifle. Which darn near ANY capable AR can do. Unless its broke from day one.

So, that said, I'd go normal parts, easy to use, have spare parts around, lightweight so you can hump it and ammo, and call it a day?

Interested in other thoughts.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kizler View Post
    Interested in other thoughts.
    absolutely!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For the lower parts kit I'd recommend either a Daniel Defense LPK or that you just buy a LPK from Grant at gandrtactical. I personally have worked with the DD LPK and it was outstanding but, I've heard quite a bit about Grant's being very good as well.
    "We will never sleep, 'cause sleep is for the weak.
    And we will never rest, 'til we're all fking dead" -- O.S.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    i am going to go with a lpk from GRANT, i just need to decide on stock, probably a basic mil spec tele stock....

have just picked up a s&w m&p .22, so i am gonna stick to that design and have a trainer and a carbine very similar

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TOA View Post
    i am going to go with a lpk from GRANT, i just need to decide on stock, probably a basic mil spec tele stock....
    very similar
    Why don't you just get a Magpul MOE stock? They're relatively cheap and pretty nice.
    "We will never sleep, 'cause sleep is for the weak.
    And we will never rest, 'til we're all fking dead" -- O.S.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    LPK- I have DD and like it
    Optic- H1 or similar (great battery life, dependability)
    Stock-CTR with the Magpul ASAP and a single point sling. For me it works well with transitions and the CTR is very solid. If you need battery/other storage consider a VLTOR Emod or Magpul ACS but your mileage may vary.